C25K

Options
2»

Replies

• SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    please please please dont be self conscious..hold ur head up high and just do it. To hel with what others maybe thinking....just have the mindset that no one is looking at you.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Read the opener of this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/617199-hey-fat-girl

Keep your head up and do it....you are harder on yourself than anyone else is. YOU ARE AWESOME.

KP
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    is there anyone that will go with you? I sorta had the same issue I was fine walking (have dogs so had to) but going out running in public terrified me...I have a super fit sister, who dragged me out..I expected to feel really humiliated..but no one took any notice and I expected my sister to be mean (she is military she can be very mean) but she was incredibly supportive..so dont be afraid to make friends at the ymca and see if anyone wants to help you out..most fit people like to see other people making the effort and are nothing but supportive

If this isnt an option. Then stick some loud music on plug your earphones in and ignore the rest of the world, you are doing something hugely positive in your life and anyone that takes notice really should try getting a life of their own..be proud. Honestly apart from some dumb teenagers who barely have a brain cell between them I have never had anything but encouragement even people walking dogs always have been nice and encouraging. I have wibbles about it now..but I ask myself, is worrying about what other people think more important to me than what I am trying to achieve and the answer is absolutely not!
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    whoops double post
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was 320lbs when I started running, if you are heavy then keep an awareness of you joints etc, and form..and dont push if your bones and joints are telling you no. listen to what your body is telling you at any given time and you should be ok.
    I agree with this excellent advice.
    I'd also add that if you are currently totally sedentary, you'd benefit from "warming up" to the program by building up to 30+ minutes of walking most days and then transition to week 1 of the C25K.

I wanted to add that I did walk for several months before starting the C25K and even though I didn't do this purposely to prepare for the C25K, I think it helped. I wanted to step up the exercise and decided the c25K would be a good way to do it.

I did the same thing. I walked for about three months before I started running. I did my own C25K by running from driveway to driveway, or lampost to lampost. I was about 230 when I started adding running into my daily walks.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was 320lbs when I started running, if you are heavy then keep an awareness of you joints etc, and form..and dont push if your bones and joints are telling you no. listen to what your body is telling you at any given time and you should be ok.

Agree with that 100%. Form and breathing are key (Youtube is your friend). Dont be afraid to repeat days or even weeks if the next session is to much. While the program has a set number it weeks, everyone is dif. Slow and steady wins this race.

When I started jogging I was in the 280's but I also could care less what anyone thinks. Like others have said, you are doing this for YOU! You might get the rare smart azz comment from kids, but overall people will smile, wave, or even give you a thumbs up. What a lot of folks dont think about, that they might be inspiring others to go out and do the same. One of those, "Hey, if they can do it, why cant I? "

Im not sure if its been mentioned yet (skimmed post sorry) but there is a C25K group here that is very helpful.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do not let your self consciousness stop you from running outside. One sunny day I was "running" outside when I looked at the ground and noticed my shadow. I could see my fat jiggling up and down. If I can continue after seeing that, YOU too can run outside. Still don't love running where I'm on display but I do it anyway. Maybe one day I see my jiggle-less shadow! Until then I trudge along ;)