I finally did it!

Options
I started on this journey August 19, 2011 at 319 lbs. I needed to complete a 6 month medically suerpvised weight loss diet in order to qualify for the gastric sleeve surgery. I did it. In that 6 months I lost 33 lbs and had surgery on January 27, 2012. In the last almost 7 months, I've lost an additional 70 lbs. I've had two month long stalls where I'd drop a size and a half, but vascillate between the same 2 lbs for that month. I eat 1000 calories a day and that is over what my surgeon wants, but I'm happier this way. I do eat part of my exercise calories back. I underestimate my calories expended and overestimate my calories eaten.

5 weeks ago, I set goals for my personal Labor Day Challenge, lose 15 lbs, log food and exercise into MFP everyday and run for 30 minutes non stop. I've lost 11 lbs, I have logged in everyday AND last night, for the 1st time ever I ran 30 minutes. 2.65 miles.

Until Eight weeks ago, I had never even ran a mile. EVER. Not in Jr. High or HS.

That being said, I still don't like running, but I'll do it. My long term goal is to run the Las Vegas Half Marathon December 2013. :-D

Replies

• ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yayy! Good job! It's amazing what our bodies can do. And who knows what you have YET to discover about yourself!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and the run. I feel obligated to warn you, running is one of those sports that sneaks up on you; you start off solely because you know it's good for you (like vegetables) and one day you wake up actually looking forward to heading out the door for a run.

No one was more surprised than me when I discovered my love for running - and that was close to 5 years ago........
  • nursewhitman
    nursewhitman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are awesome. You forgot to mention how along the way you have inspired others to change themselves, too.