How to lose weight according to my Naturopathic Dr.

Options
2»

Replies

• Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm lost as well, the numbers make no sense, you will be at a negative net each day, which would be starving your body. I doubt the weight would stay off. I'm curious how you burn 1600 cals too, cuz I'm 24 and it takes me an hour to burn 500 IF I'm working at higher intensity.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If this is the case your net calories would be a negative number. That is not healthy at all.
    That's what I was getting at.

OP - as others have said, I doubt you're burning 1600 calories a day in exercise - but even if not, your body still needs/uses calories to fuel everyday functions - things like breathing, your heart beating, your liver and kidneys working, etc. That's all part of your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). So if you count BMR calories (which are probably somewhere on the order of 1400) plus your supposed 1600 exercise calories, that's a deficit of around 3,000 calories. Add your 1400 in nutrition to it and that still puts you at a deficit of 1600 calories/day. As I said in my original post - it's obviously your body to do with as you wish, but your naturopath is steering you down a very, very dangerous and unhealthy road IMO.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hi Anvilhead, Sorry for not being clear. It is 200-400 Net calories less. (Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned). In my case, the total calories consumed is (1400) minus exercise calories burned (1600-1800). So 200-400 Net calories less.
    I think where we're confused in on the "exercise calories burned" - are you meaning to say that your total calories burned for the day, including your resting metabolism + daily activity + exercise at the gym = 1600? Or that you are burning 1600 calories a day at the gym on top of your normal metabolism and activity?
  • Krista_1
    Krista_1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've done a very poor job of explaining, sorry guys. I burn between 400 and 600 calories a day exercising. MFP put me on a 1200 calorie diet. The 1600-1800 calories is my daily calorie goal when I exercise (which is everyday), and I am to eat about 1400 calories per day. So, I am at a net calorie deficit of 200-400 calories per day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've done a very poor job of explaining, sorry guys. I burn between 400 and 600 calories a day exercising. MFP put me on a 1200 calorie diet. The 1600-1800 calories is my daily calorie goal when I exercise (which is everyday), and I am to eat about 1400 calories per day. So, I am at a net calorie deficit of 200-400 calories per day.

OK THAT makes sense! lol That sounds fine to me. I know there are people who will disagree, but I see nothing wrong with it.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You still aren't doing the math right. If 1600-1800 is your calorie goal when you exercise, that's ALREADY a deficit. So you have a 200-400 calorie deficit ON TOP OF what MFP gives you. If you set it up to lose one pound a week that means you probably have a 700-900 calorie deficit total.
  • greedygirl118
    Options
    You still aren't doing the math right. If 1600-1800 is your calorie goal when you exercise, that's ALREADY a deficit. So you have a 200-400 calorie deficit ON TOP OF what MFP gives you. If you set it up to lose one pound a week that means you probably have a 700-900 calorie deficit total.

^^^ This. In my opinion, you need to eat more.
  • ShanBurford
    Options
    A -400 to -500 calorie energy balance per day sounds like an extremely bad idea to me - even more so considering that you don't have very much weight to lose. It's your body, but I sure as heck wouldn't touch that program with a ten-foot pole. There's great potential to lose an awful lot of lean body mass (muscle) in proportion to the fat.

I agree with you friend !
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Who's bumped this dead, pseudoscientific nonsense?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Who's bumped this dead, pseudoscientific nonsense?

heh, that reminds me of the forums over at www.gamefaqs.com

I think in their software that have it coded that anything that hasn't been active in 30 days gets automatically locked. Seems like it would be something good to have here no?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment with my Naturopath yesterday. Here is how she recommended changing things up for me on a 1600-1800 "Net Calories" diet: I am 46, 5'7", weigh 140 lbs with a goal of getting into the 132-135 lb. range.

-Combine 30% Protein to 25% carbs. Eating mostly protein, with a lot of fruits and veg, with a very small portion of grains per meal would be ideal.
    -Since I like to exercise a lot, she said do 5 Cardio/Weight lifting days, mixed with 2 yoga/stretch class days a week. The yoga days, allow my body to repair itself and avoid injuries.
    -Continue to burn 1600-1800 calories a day with the exercise, but cut back my intake to 1300-1400 calories a day.
    -Eat 400 calories at breakfast, 500 at lunch and 500 at dinner .
    -NO Snacks, except a little turkey or chicken before bed.
    -But if you must have a snack, a Lara Bar is a great one.
    -Specifically, she recommended upping the protein and reducing the grains. For example, cut out the granola, it has too much sugar. Another example, she suggested 5 crackers, not 10. Instead, eat more Shrimp, Cheese, or other proteins.
    -She was not too crazy about my whole nut intake, as she said I wouldn't feel satisfied, because they take a long time to digest. Instead, she recommended nut butter (like natural Peanut or Almond Butter) because they are already partially digested. This will fill me up during the meal.
    -Eat beans and lentils
    -My sugar intake was a little high, but she said the sugar intake does not matter, as long as it is coming from healthy foods, such as fruits, and not refined sugar.
    -agreed with the MFP target of 2500 mg of Sodium.
    -upped the fiber from MFP recommended 13.8 g to 25 g.

She said doing this regimen, I will loose a lb. about every week and half, and it is very likely to stay off, once I get into maintenance mode. I hope some of these tips will help you. Do you have any thoughts about it?

I often see these two things together:

" .... not working ..."

and

"...working out five days a week..."

WAY too much exercise my dear. It's taken me the better part of a year to learn that more rest beats more workouts, even if you run the same net cals. I don't know why. Maybe it's in the numbers, maybe it's something else.

DROP the cardio to once a week, just enough not to get totally deconditioned. do compound lifts 3 times a week. Rest. Run a deficit. Done.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Not sure if the OP will get that, they've not been active this year.

Or last year.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on making it do dam complicated. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight it's that simple.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Not sure if the OP will get that, they've not been active this year.

Or last year.

you see, there are a bunch of other people that often join a discussion, and the OP becomes less relevant. crazy!