single mom can't find time & motivation to work out

Options
124»

Replies

• tasha_turmoil
    Options
    i too am a mum to an almost two year old a couple of months ago i was just messing around on youtube and found tiffany rothe workouts. the woman is amazing. each video is between 5 and 10 minutes a time and you can you do whatever you want she has videos for waist for arms and shoulders, for your bum, legs and for your abs. i have only been doing it for about a month 4 times a week for half an hour sometimes less and i'm already seeing results i feel healthier and i always can't wait to do my exercises she really is amazing. Also, if you have the money for it you can join her inner circle where she gives you workouts not on youtube and gives you a personalised eating and fitness plan to help you. Just give it a go it's only ten minutes and you'll be motivated in no time
    thats TIFFANY ROTHE WORKOUTS just type it on on youtube :) hope this helped
  • dpzchick1
    dpzchick1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 and 6 year old. They love to Zumba with me. Maybe if you got her involved things would be a little easier on you. The other day my 4 year old came up to me as I was cleaning the kitchen and asked if we could do zumba together. I really needed to finish my chores but I didnt. So we did Zumba for almost an hour.....and guess what...The kitchen was still a mess when I got back to it ;) You CAN do this!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm not a single mom, but I have two small children (ages 3 and 6 months). When my oldest was a baby, I made similar excuses. I wanted to spend as much time with her as possible, and she was a bad sleeper so I wanted to sleep when she slept. It took me until she was 2 years old to get it through my thick skull that I was going to have to work at it if I wanted to be happy and healthy.

Check into quick workouts. I chose the 30 day shred because it's only 20 minutes, plus a few for warmup and cool down. I would do it immediately after coming in the door from work, before dinner. My 3 year old did it with me, and it's the cutest thing ever. I also cook dinner every night, but I agree with the suggestions to cook in batches so you don't have to spend as much time every night.

You said you start the bedtime routine at 8, and pass out at 9 when you're sure she's asleep. How long does the routine take? I bet you could squeeze in a 20 minute workout while you're waiting to make sure she's sleeping. I've found that I fall asleep faster and sleep better when I'm getting regular exercise.

Also, what's involved in "preparing for the next day?" Washing dishes, fixing lunches? Anything that you could fit into the next morning instead and shave some time there? I wake up at 5:30 and I'm on my way to work by 6:15, and that includes fixing my lunch but does not include getting my daughter up. I could see that taking an extra few minutes but not 45.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The non excuses mantra doesn't always apply. Sometimes, it's a reason. So, I suggest that if you don't have days off from the kids, that you just try to fit in walking, when you can. During lunch at work? Maybe at night after dinner you and the kids go for a stroll. You have to figure something out. You can do something, you just might not be able to do full workouts right now.

As a side note, I have my kids half time. I workout out 5 days a week (up early), then after work also on days I don't have the kids. My ex on the other hand tells me how she doesn't have time. I just look at her like WTF are you talking about? It's just how you view a situation. I workout in all the In-between spaces of my life. She views those in between spaces as either relaxing, or spending time socializing with friends and stuff. It's just making it a priority, in my case. So, I can honestly say that it's easy to make excuses. It's hard to get up everyday at 4:30, put in a solid workout, and then carry on with regular life.

I'm wondering why you have to get up at 5am though. But, that's none of my business. Maybe you can work on creating some more efficiency in your household to reduce time spent with non-essentials. This is key when you have kids. It's just a process we go through every morning. We're very efficient. They want max sleep, I want workout time. It all works together.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am a single mother of 2 girls 2 and 4. I also work full time and wake up at 5am. I found what works for me is doing a video as soon as I get home before I make dinner and before sitting down :). I like P90x but after 2 and a half months I lost motivation. Now im doing Turbofire and I really love it. I think the main thing that works for me with these videos is that there is a monthly schedule so it tells you what to do on each day. If try to just pick what Im going to do each day I wont do it. Also with TurboFire they have HIIT videos that range from 15 min to 25. The time is there you just have to make it. I know how you feel.

I know you personally and I see how much you have struggled in the last couple of years being a single mom. You don't even have the option to drop your kids off with their father and you're one of those moms that feels guilty to even ask for a babysitter. You have made so many sacrifices in the last two years, and when I ask you why you do it, you reply with it's because you have goals and you know what you want. Just wanted to give you a little shout out pal because you not only reached your goal weight but you're now working on toning up and inspire me everyday to reach my goals. You're one hell of a MILF ;) xo
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Im a single, mom and work full time as well, i leave my house by 8 am, and get home around 6pm I do my work out when i put my daughter to bed at 8, im doing jillian michaels 30 day shred, its only 20 mins and i have had great results after only 15 days of it.
  • mysheltie
    Options
    I am a single mom of two one 5 year old half time wed Thursday and every other weekend and a 2 yr old 7days a week I go to school one day a week and work graveyard Monday thru Friday I am stumped as to when and how to get a work out schedule as we'll as a sleep schedule
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try and work out when watching TV. Every time the ad's are on walk in place for the entire time they are on. You will be suprised how much you can do!:wink:

This. Get some dumbbells or a kettlebell and strength train during commercials.
  • Waggoner83
    Waggoner83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    How old are all of your kids and do you have arealative that can help you while you work out? What are your thoughts about going to teh gym? Some gyms have child care also. I do not watch television during the week day but my schedule is semi like yours but I have older children and a husband and I work out after everything is done in the house, you will have to sacrifise your sleep, I know you are tired but you have to make adjustments to your schedule.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am a infomercial queen ..

I stopped right there. You have some time. Turn the tube off. Someone said it, YOU have to make the time. OR continue making excuses & feeling like poop about yourself.