Plateau after only 4lbs?

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    work harder. push your limits.

Yeah, sound advice there...cause I don't do that already :noway: :explode:

Not to attack you or be negative.....but what he said was sound advice and you brushed it off. You don't eat enough......You eat a lot of "junk". Your protein is WAY too low. And in looking at your diary for the last week I saw ONE day where you burned over 300 cals. I would definitely say you could work harder........But then again different people have different expectations of themselves.
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    I agree with the above poster greenrun, the quick add is not helping you at all. I would also agree with upping your protien to 30%, watch your sodium intake, it can cause water retention which will make the scale stick for a little bit, drinking lots of water will help level out that intake. I am just speaking from experience as I have a problem with retaining water from my sodium intake. 2 weeks is also not that long, you just have to be patient you did not put the weight on in 2 weeks, it is not going to come off that quickly either.

I would also suggest finding out your BMR/TDEE and stick closer to those calories, 1540 seems a bit low for the level of acitivty you are doing. fit-fatradio.com is a good site to figure all of this out.

best of luck.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

hey, do what you want. i have a triathlon this weekend to go rest up for.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member

Not to attack you or be negative.....but what he said was sound advice and you brushed it off. You don't eat enough......You eat a lot of "junk". Your protein is WAY too low. And in looking at your diary for the last week I saw ONE day where you burned over 300 cals. I would definitely say you could work harder........But then again different people have different expectations of themselves.

Please read what I said above. I often don't log my exercise. You wanna know what I do daily? One hour dance rehearsals. Pilates twice a week. Ballet twice a week. P90X and insanity to build muscle.
  • Long_and_Lean
    I agree with the above poster greenrun, the quick add is not helping you at all. I would also agree with upping your protien to 30%, watch your sodium intake, it can cause water retention which will make the scale stick for a little bit, drinking lots of water will help level out that intake. I am just speaking from experience as I have a problem with retaining water from my sodium intake. 2 weeks is also not that long, you just have to be patient you did not put the weight on in 2 weeks, it is not going to come off that quickly either.

I would also suggest finding out your BMR/TDEE and stick closer to those calories, 1540 seems a bit low for the level of acitivty you are doing. fit-fatradio.com is a good site to figure all of this out.

best of luck.

Thanks for the input! I've visited that fit-fatradio website, I really like it. I'm really hesitant about adding more calories as I've tried it in the past (I've tried to lose weight on about 1700/day) but was unsuccessful. My thinking is that these estimators are just that -- estimators. Every one has to probably play around a bit to find what works for them. That being said, I definitely don't think that eating less is an option, don't want to starve myself!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    What you are eating is probably the main problem that you are having. Many people benefit greatly from eating healthy, whole foods and reducing the carbs (doesn't have to be drastic, if you are overall healthy and have no food addictions/binging/hunger issues) and increasing healthy fat and protein.

My diary is open, and my goals are set specifically for what makes me healthy and lose weight.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 638 Member

Actually, re: quick add calories: it isn't. The quick add is things I cook at home or things I looked up the actual nutrition info (like a subway sub, not estimates from other people here on MFP). Like last night, my multigrain pasta and veggie sautee. Today, my sub sandwich I plan on having for lunch. Everything was measured and weighed before I entered it. I do not overestimate my calories, trust me.

You can enter in your own recipes, the quantity of pasta then mfp will tell you how many carbs it is. That's what you're missing out with the quick add. You can verify the estimates that other people put into the database. It seems that you're saying you're smarter than everyone else so you're doing the quick add, yet it's not working for you because you're not losing any weight.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member

She *also* said that she doesnt generally log her exercise because MFP greatly exaggerates the number. And it is true. It RARELY corresponds with my HRM. Protein is low. Calories could be a bit higher due to activity level. She dances somewhat professionally from what I understand. She works her *kitten* off. I think there may be a lot of hidden sodium and the quality of foods is not always the best. She is learning here....... not a pro....... not many of us are here because we know everything about losing weight.
  • Up your protein intake! I find when I eat more protein, the weight falls off easier.
  • Jacwhite22

Please read what I said above. I often don't log my exercise. You wanna know what I do daily? One hour dance rehearsals. Pilates twice a week. Ballet twice a week. P90X and insanity to build muscle.

OK, Great job working out......crappy job eating. What I said before about not enough......too much crap......not enough protein.........That's all doubled now. Diet is made in the kitchen not in the gym.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member

That would've been useful information that you should have included in your original post. Focus on eating fresher, healthier foods and watch your sodium (keep it under 1500mg) and protein (over 100g).
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member

You should heed these words. Or, you know. Keep doing what you're doing. wtg!
  • Long_and_Lean
    What you are eating is probably the main problem that you are having. Many people benefit greatly from eating healthy, whole foods and reducing the carbs (doesn't have to be drastic, if you are overall healthy and have no food addictions/binging/hunger issues) and increasing healthy fat and protein.

My diary is open, and my goals are set specifically for what makes me healthy and lose weight.

Thanks for the input, I've checked out your diary -- it looks great! Overall, my diet is not that different from yours (despite what people say here, those "quick added calories" don't consist of junk food, lol. I'd be starving if they were.) with the exception of the overall protein content. With that in mind, I have two questions:

1) I've tried a higher protein diet before and it made me nauseous and I felt weak. I was getting enough calories. Any idea why?
    2) The clinical studies I've read (i.e. NOT broscience) suggest that at this stage in the weight loss game, macros have a minimal effect if at all (jury's still out). What are your thoughts on that?
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    I'm not going to look in your diary because I really don't think it makes THAT much of a difference unless your scarfing down big macs every day, all day, or eating a salad and working out like a maniac for weeks on end.

The hasn't scale changed in a month for me. I don't think I have plateaued because the word plateau implies that all weight loss has stopped, all progress has stopped, everything is at a stand still. For me, that's hardly the case, and I doubt it's the case for you too.

I strongly suggest you take a before picture and track your progress through photos instead of through the scale. If you rely solely on the scale, you're setting yourself up for some disappointment. I was just looking at my photos and I cannot believe how much my body has changed. I've lost 3 pounds in two months.

The only advice I have to give is to change your perception.

Why do people feel the need to attack people when it comes to the diary?! She's asking for help, and all I keep reading is snotty, nasty comments. What's the point of that?
  • Long_and_Lean

Actually, re: quick add calories: it isn't. The quick add is things I cook at home or things I looked up the actual nutrition info (like a subway sub, not estimates from other people here on MFP). Like last night, my multigrain pasta and veggie sautee. Today, my sub sandwich I plan on having for lunch. Everything was measured and weighed before I entered it. I do not overestimate my calories, trust me.

You can enter in your own recipes, the quantity of pasta then mfp will tell you how many carbs it is. That's what you're missing out with the quick add. You can verify the estimates that other people put into the database. It seems that you're saying you're smarter than everyone else so you're doing the quick add, yet it's not working for you because you're not losing any weight.

I have done that for recipes that I make repeatedly (like my quinoa salad or the cauliflower pizza crust). For things I am trying out for the first time or don't eat regularly, I use quick add. And the way I come up with that number is as follows: Add up the calories based on the package, this gives me the calories of the entire batch. Then divide that number by the number of portions. Measure my portions. I'm not saying I'm smarter than everyone by doing the quick add, I'm saying that just because I used quick add doesn't mean I a. underestimated the calories or b. ate junk. From what I understand, the only thing that quick add would hinder is if I am tracking my macros, like protein. I'm hearing you all on that -- I do. But I have some legitimate questions about it (please see my post above).
  • Jacwhite22

Thanks for the input, I've checked out your diary -- it looks great! Overall, my diet is not that different from yours (despite what people say here, those "quick added calories" don't consist of junk food, lol. I'd be starving if they were.) with the exception of the overall protein content. With that in mind, I have two questions:

1) I've tried a higher protein diet before and it made me nauseous and I felt weak. I was getting enough calories. Any idea why?
    2) The clinical studies I've read (i.e. NOT broscience) suggest that at this stage in the weight loss game, macros have a minimal effect if at all (jury's still out). What are your thoughts on that?

macros are largely irrelevant to overall weight loss and more important to body composition. That said. With your activity level you should regularly be eating at least 2k. Assuming that's accurate.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member

hey, do what you want. i have a triathlon this weekend to go rest up for.

And a rott in a jeep... I'll come rest with you.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member

Were your carbs low. Keep in mind with the work outs that you do, you dont really need to be *low* carb. and they take up so many calories, that when you try to up protein, it is usually the first thing out the window. I shoot for 20% protein, 30% good fat and 50% carbs, but, I generally hit 30% protein and 40% carbs....... the lightheaded and dizzy bit could be from too low carbs......
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member

Here's the thing: there's only so much anyone can feasibly do.

That is different for everybody, but you can't just doing more and more; there is a limit for everyone. You mentioned having vices, trying to be accurate (which I take to mean not always being so), and so on. Now I'm not saying you have to be perfect to see results (I certainly am not, so that would be hugely hypocritical), but if you're not happy with your current progress, at the end of the day, you either need to change something ('work harder') or wait it out and see if it rectifies itself eventually.

A true stall is usually (this is just a common time frame, I'm unaware of any sore of 'official' measure and doubt one exists) considered to be one lasting 6 weeks or longer. The human body is tremendously complex and there's any number of stupid reasons you might not be losing consistently from week to week. Waiting a few more weeks might very well be a good solution in your case.

If you're at all like me though, simply waiting can be frustrating. I get very impatient. Doing something, anything, even if it doesn't cause immediate results, at least I knew I did something to push myself along. Used to be that was extreme dieting. That's unhealthy (please don't do that). Nowadays I just push myself harder in the gym. Results don't come as quickly, but I'm feeling much better about myself now and it is, slowly, getting me where I need to be.

That's not to say you don't push yourself hard already of course.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    I noticed you don't track your sodium intake in your food diary, alot of the things your eating MIGHT be high in sodium, that will cause you to retain water, and not seeing the scale move. Maybe check that?

That doesn't explain why I started losing weight and then it stopped, even though nothing changed.

Yes it does, you may be losing fat, but are eating things so full of sodium that you are retaining water and not showing a loss on the scale. Try eating clean, only raw or fresh fruits and veggies, track your sodium and eat things with lots of potassium to get rid of that water.