Sugar Grams (MFP style)

Options
jaj68
jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
hi....so in doing the recommended by MFP., sugar, it allows me 24 sugar grams a day. I just logged eating a fresh peach.....and that was 17 grams of sugar. I know fruit has lots of natural sugars....but I have tried so hard to eat healthy.....and I knew I needed to add more fruit into my diet. WHAM......I have almost sugared up for the day. :cry:

Replies

• hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I feel like the sugar grams are a suggestion. I don't eat any sugar other than what is in dairy, I don't eat starches or fruit, and I always go over my sugars. As long as you are getting plenty of non-sugar items (protein, green veggies) you should be fine!

It's strange the way that they have it set up. I always go waaaaaaay over on protein, but my dietician and my doctor have both taken a look at my diary and say it looks good. Of course they want me to add more fruits and veggies, but they understand the process of Dukan!

Heather
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So funny, I just posted a status about thus same issue, I have only eaten a pear and 10 grapes (as far as sugary foods; I've obviously eaten more than that today) and I'm already over my sugar allowance! After doing a little online research, I found that it's not a huge problem since these are not the refined sugars we see in fruit juice or candy. With that being said, sugar is still sugar, and too much can definitely derail your (and my!) weight loss efforts. I plan to continue eating the fruit without over-doing it, and keep track of where my sugar is coming from.
  • wedge421
    wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yeah im pretty new to the site and was freaking out about the sugar thing as well. A bananna has freaking 15g's in it which is like half of my allowance! Bottom line they are simple sugars in fruits and veggies and very easily processed by the physiology of the body. Its the processed sugars like glucose and fructose that will hurt diets. Obviously moderation is key no matter what but dont sweat the veggies/fruit sugars
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The mistake MFP makes is that it uses the FDA (I believe it is their recommendation) recommendation for added sugar, but the application (site) adds all sugar as sugar, which it should not count lactose or sugar that is naturally occurring in fruit and veggies. Since sugar is a carb and you already track carbs, if you don't have diabetes or are not pre-diabetic, there is no reason to track sugar on its own.
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    no..not diabetic or prediabetic. It is lunch time, and I am looking around what I have in my house to eat that won't up the sugar more. The peach and 1c. of Tropicana 50% less sugar OJ. really knocked me for a sugary loop.
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    If I go over for sugar but it's all fruits I wont worry about it at all. If i go over and it's all snickers and brownies then yah, thats an issue haha
  • linniexxx
    Options
    Thanks for sharing all of this! I was freaking out about sugar as well - i've been going over by about 80 grams a day, but ALL fruit. Wish we could break the two tyoes of sugar apart (natural v. Processed).

Good luck everyone!!
  • Monroe07
    Monroe07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been posting on the same thing and have come to the same conclusion. I'm going to keep an eye on the sugar and in particular where I get it from as I'm curious as to whether being a bit tighter on this will help me shift my last bit of weight (which I've never been able to shift). But it just doesn't seem to make sense to rule out natural yoghurt, fruits and even some veg because they're going to take me over the sugar limit. It is demoralising though to see that red number and maybe is something the site/ap should look into changing or at least putting an advisory note on. Other than that - fantastic ap though. And free!
  • suntea514
    Options
    I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. I've only been using MFP for 5 days and today was the first day that I noticed that I was over on sugars after at breakfast. Mystery solve. Thanks for posting!
  • c_mac2009
    c_mac2009 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG So glad to see I am not alone on this. I have never been a big veggie eater but am slowly getting more and more into my diet. I do love fruit though and so I have really used fruit to weed out back highly processed snacks. I have been doing good cooking home cooked meals and cutting out fast food completely and eating so much better and getting my sweat on in the gym. I am also trying to cut out the sugar, I tried using honey in my coffee this morning and so I am working on that. So what I really wonder is even though I will continue to watch the sugar and as I get more veggies in try to cut out some of the fruit how big a deal is the sugar number really?
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This is me too! Typically I consume 60-80g of sugar (fruit & lactose primarily) on 1100-1300 kcal fairly clean omnivore diet. Raw fruit has so many important enzymes that are needed in digestion, but I am wondering if I should reduce sugars to 30-40g and supplement my raw veggies (and its enzymes) with digestive enzyme supplements. It is winter where I live, so what I want is cooked warm savory vegetables more than salads.:ohwell:
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugar if it is from fruit or dairy (unless you have health restrictions that say otherwise) It's the added and refined sugars that you need to watch out for and count. The white sugar, sugar in processed foods, high fructose corn syrup, those are the ones you need to count. If you freak out seeing a negative red number in your diary, then go into the settings and change the sugar allowance. That way, it will say you can have 50g or so, and you wont go over. Just be sure to really count the BAD sugars, and not go over the 24g or whatever it originally was.

Hope that makes sense and helps :)
  • TrainSweatEatSleep
    Options
    Definitely consume a lot of sugar after your working out sesh to spike your insulin level.

make your MFP diary public.