pushups or weight training

Options
complete noob. totally weak. should I start off w/ some pushups (just got this program call "100 pushups" on the iphone), or just dive into weights at the gym? I started weight training but didn't feel I was making progress (only did it a few weeks, mostly full body compound moves) and I strained some muscles - so I have a pattern of starting and stopping. Need to do it more consistently for so many health reasons as we all know.....but hate them to boot. Lately I fee like I should start with basic body weight stuff (I can only do like 5 pushups). As its a life long change I'm making, I guess who cares if I don't go immediately into weight training. I know many here really love weights (and some hate running with a passion). I'm ok with some running, but don't have much fun weight training really yet.

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    At your age I would step into weight lifting slowly. Stay with the basic compounds: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Overhead press etc. If you feel like you are starting to strain yourself again make assured your form is correct and back off on the weigh a little.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Man I love that app. When I started with it I could do about 50, now I can do 125.

I still do about 100+ pushups a day. I prefer burpees over regular pushups, I do a lot of pull ups. When I go to gym I do a modified p90x switching out pushup for bench. However I am about to try some more body weight training and only hit gym for boot camp. Good luck.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    At your age I would step into weight lifting slowly. Stay with the basic compounds: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Overhead press etc. If you feel like you are starting to strain yourself again make assured your form is correct and back off on the weigh a little.

"At your age..." What the...

I agree with this. I've found it much more difficult to get back into weight lifting this go around. An MFP user, Sidesteal, recommended "A Simple Beginner's Routine" which focuses on compound movements. Link is below.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

I'm in my third week of the program (did a Week 0 first to establish a baseline) and have started lighter so that I could focus on form. I already have less back, shoulder, knee pain than when I was doing typical iso exercises - and I can tell I'm gaining strength faster.

Good luck.
  • Plates559
    Options

"At your age..." What the...

Sorry if I really did offend any one with that comment, but its true the longer we go with out exercise the harder it is to train our bodies to get back into it.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    Sorry if I really did offend any one with that comment, but its true the longer we go with out exercise the harder it is to train our bodies to get back into it.

No offense...all true. Resilience goes with age and proper form becomes more critical.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. I was thinking about taking offense at the "age" comments, but then its true. I ain't ancient yet, but I still don't want to take risks.
  • Plates559
    Options
    And just because you have to start slow doesn't mean you have to stay there. I do a group work out every Saturday morning and there is this 60 year old lady who seriously kicks my butt, don't ever settle.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Its not impossible to get into shape and look great in your 40s 50s or 60s. I know a lot of guys who didnt get started until 38 or 40 and are now in their mid 40s, ripped.

Dont let anybody tell you you cant do something.

That being said, I agree with the above posters. Compound movements, start off light and progress slowly. You will see gains in time, just get your head around the fact that its not going to happen overnight. The biggest disadvange is your test levels but slow and steady wins the race.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Starting with body weight movements like pushups and pull ups (even assisted pullups with a chair under you) would be a great start. Just keep in mind we all started somewhere, most likely the same place you are. Just need patience and dedication.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    .... An MFP user, Sidesteal, recommended "A Simple Beginner's Routine" which focuses on compound movements. Link is below.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

that's a great link. I wonder if its possible to simplify it even more for me? Like, would squats, bench, and lat pull down ( or seated row) hit all the big core muscles while I ease into it? (And I will likely do the "bench" with dumbells on a slight incline, the lat pull down/seated row on a machine, and the squat....well....I think it would be easier to use the machine squat (or maybe even the machine leg press) to start........)

are my thoughts totally bad? the reason for me trying to super simplify it is that I don't want to quit this time before getting some XP.....and doing stuff I hate, like deadlifts (which also freak me out) or "bent over rows" (same thing here).....are likely going to have me going into the routine already hating it.

aren't I really high maintenance or what? lol!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Or you can just keep doing pushups. Move to harder variants.

99.9% of people who say you can't get strong with pushups...

....aren't strong enough to do a planche pushup.

Never get punched by a man that can do 1 arm clap pushups for reps. Especially if he is strong enough to prevent rotation in the waist.
  • whiteheaddg
    Options
    that's a great link. I wonder if its possible to simplify it even more for me? Like, would squats, bench, and lat pull down ( or seated row) hit all the big core muscles while I ease into it? (And I will likely do the "bench" with dumbells on a slight incline, the lat pull down/seated row on a machine, and the squat....well....I think it would be easier to use the machine squat (or maybe even the machine leg press) to start........)

are my thoughts totally bad? the reason for me trying to super simplify it is that I don't want to quit this time before getting some XP.....and doing stuff I hate, like deadlifts (which also freak me out) or "bent over rows" (same thing here).....are likely going to have me going into the routine already hating it.

aren't I really high maintenance or what? lol!!]

I get it. I felt exactly the way you do and our workouts were probably very similar: bench, flys, lat pull-downs, cable rows, ez curls, etc. When I used to do squats many years ago I did them on the smith machine.

The great thing about the compound movements is how they engage your whole body and not just the predominant muscle group that particular exercise is working. I decided to just dive in and give the routine a go. As I mentioned earlier, I started with a Week 0 to figure out what I can reasonably do for eight reps then took this figure into Week 1. Watching me do this routine is by no means awe-inspiring - the weights are light and I focus on form for each rep. I just keep telling myself to stick with it and by the fourth cycle I should look like I'm lifting adult weights.