Hair loss

Options
Hey

Since joining MFP 6 months ago I have lost 3 stone. For the past month my hair has started to fall out quite a lot and it's in terrible condition. I have tried using different shampoos and leave in conditioners and not washing it for days but nothing seems to make a difference. Has anyone else had a similar problem to this? I am considering buying some hair specific vitamin tablets to help, has anyone has success with those?

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with this (although you wouldnt know from my avatar!), but when you mentioned it, it triggered a memory of Elizabeth Hasselbeck discovering that she had celiac disease because she was losing her hair while starving on Survivor.

You might consider looking into it at least. I think you can help it by eating a gluten free diet. You can also get tested for it by a doctor.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I take an over the counter supplement called Viviscal. I am telling you that my hair, nails, eyebrows and eyelashes grow like crazy. I am pretty sure you can get it on Amazon. It may take 3 months to work but it is pretty amazing. Dr. Oz featured it on his program and it is supposed to be some "supermodel" secret. All I know is that it works.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    up your protein intake. this can help as well!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

Rapid weight loss can lead to hair loss a few months later, as can any severe trauma. (Mine fell out a few months after my father passed, for example.) It doesn't seem that you've lost weight particularly rapidly though-- you're a little under 2 lbs per week.

When you changed your eating habits to lose weight, did you cut out any food groups? I'm just wondering if you somehow inadvertently caused a nutritional imbalance that is affecting your hair?

Have you spoken to your doctor?
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

Rapid weight loss can lead to hair loss a few months later, as can any severe trauma. (Mine fell out a few months after my father passed, for example.) It doesn't seem that you've lost weight particularly rapidly though-- you're a little under 2 lbs per week.

When you changed your eating habits to lose weight, did you cut out any food groups? I'm just wondering if you somehow inadvertently caused a nutritional imbalance that is affecting your hair?

Have you spoken to your doctor?

Food is still pretty similar (just not as much of it) and less sugar now. I am going to see my doctor about it incase there is something thney could do.

Thanks for your replies!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How low is your fat intake? If it is below 10%, this might be a reason why.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Last year, I went for a period of about four months where I lost about 40 pounds and was eating pretty low fat and protein and high carbs. My hair started falling out, filling the comb every time I combed my hair in the morning.. I am a Leo with a full head of hair and it really bothered me. I stopped my diet for about 6 months, gained about 30 lbs back, but my hair stopped falling out. Mid june, I started dieting again, but this time 55% fat, 35% protein and 10% carbs. I've lost 25 lbs but have kept my hair..
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread. But being on a very low calorie diet can lead to hair loss, amenorrhea, and other issues. How many calories are you consuming daily?

Btw, here is the research article referencing energy availability in regularly menstruating women:

Luteinizing Hormone Pulsatility Is Disrupted at a Threshold of Energy Availability in Regularly Menstruating Women

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My hair started to get thin and dry so I figured I was missing something in my diet so I started a multi vitamin, within a month my hair is normal again :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you are in a severe calorie deficit you are probably not getting enough nutrients. Crash diets can cause hair loss. How many calories are you getting a day and how much protein? You may want up both. I would see a Doctor if it persists.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I actually know exactly what you are talking about. I had HORRIBLE hair loss after I started losing weight. It is because of all the hormones that are stored in the fat that you are now burning as fuel. When you burn the fat as fuel all of the hormones come out as well. Sometimes it is an overload for the body and their are side effects. I started using Garnier Fructis Fall Fight and it worked wonders! My hair is thicker in general and looks shinier and overall healthier. Just my experience, but it works for me!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What is your current calorie goal? And your current activity level?

I was eating 1400-1500 calories a day and exercising 4-5 times a week when my hair started falling out. Turns out, that's not enough food for me.

Make sure that you are eating at an appropriate deficit for you - TDEE-20% method is great, IMO.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I would perhaps see your doctor, since my healthier food choices and exercise my hair is in better condition than ever before, maybe have them run some blood tests to see if your lacking in any department?
  • Jessieday4
    Options
    You could be anaemic and need vitamin b supplements
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have this too. I've had blood tests but all came back clear, my GP told me to take a zinc supplement. It doesn't seem to have made a lot of difference yet but fingers crossed!
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I eat between 1400-1800 cals a day (I use a fitbit to calculate tdee) hardly exercised recently, just walking. Eat at least 60g protein a day but its usually higher. Macros at about 40/30/30. I think the hormones stored in fat theory makes a lot of sense. Will go to the docs to get checked out and also try a multivitamin, I think that will help a lot.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest culprits is not getting enough protein. Make sure you are getting plenty. I also am taking 5000mcg of biotin daily to help encourage new hair growth. Nioxin shampoo and conditioner products will also give you some added volume and help disguise your thinning hair.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I take an over the counter supplement called Viviscal. I am telling you that my hair, nails, eyebrows and eyelashes grow like crazy. I am pretty sure you can get it on Amazon. It may take 3 months to work but it is pretty amazing. Dr. Oz featured it on his program and it is supposed to be some "supermodel" secret. All I know is that it works.

someone told.me this has really worked for them too! x
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree that Viviscal is an amazing product. I was taking Rogain and using Nioxin shampoo and nothing was helping.
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Agree with you on this one.