Getting toned abs

Hello there

I don't really NEED to lose any weight (5'4" 122 pounds) but I would really like to see what's under the final layer of fat on my stomach, yes, the pooch. I think I'd only need to shift a few pounds to see it but am not sure how to go about doing that! Or perhaps it's not about weight loss but body fat and muscle percentage. I get the impression that things change a little when you only have a tiny amount to lose/are toning up. Any advice on nutrition/calorie burn and intake?

I'm not crazy about some intense regime and eating egg whites, but if that's what it takes then I'll listen!

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 638 Member
    Are you doing ab toning?
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    I'm interested to hear on this too!
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Right the only way you are ever going to see your abs is by lowering your body fat percentage. You may not need to lose weight but you you need to become leaner to see ab definition.
    Abs begin in the kitchen not in the gym.
    However, there are types of exercises that can aid ab muscle development.

(1) focus on decreasing the volume of cardio and opt for intensity. Yes, thats right. do LESS cardio but more intense. This is called HIIT (high Intensity Interval Training) For example, Sprint for 30 seconds, recover, sprint, recover, repeat 10 times or so. This type of exercise causes a massive spike in your heart rate and keeps your metabolism raised for elevated period of time.

(2) Lift Weights. Building muscle is hugely beneficial for your body in general. No you wont get bulky, and yes you will burn fat.
    Muscle takes a long time to develop and grow so dont expect to see results over night. Hard work and determination and heavy weights are your friends and will lead to the results you want to see.

(3) there is no such thing as spot reducing. You cannot pick where you want the fat to go. So doing 6 million crunches is not going to necessarily encourage ab definition as it isnt reducing the fat that is hiding them from you. :laugh: however, it is important to develop these muscles. I find the best way to do this is to avoid isolation exercises. Rather then just working your abs, try doing squats, deadlifts, lunges, planks, jumping jacks, etc. All exercises which encourage you to engage your core in an attempt to stabalise. The heavier the weights- the harder your abs work at stabalising. I havent done crunches, or sit ups for over a year now- just combination exercises and lifting and HIIT and my abs are pretty much the favourite part of my body.

(4) Stick to whole grains as carbs - they will give you energy. Also take in carbs in the form of veg such as sweet potato and brocoli. Take it easy on the fruit as it is high in sugar (healthy sugar mind you! but still everything in moderation!) Take in adequate amounts of protein to aid muscle recovery and repair. Consume healthy fats! Avocados, nuts, seeds, etc. Avoid sodium or salt in general as it causes water retention and bloating which can make your stomach seem bigger then it is. :happy:. Drink lots of water.

In my experience the abs are the last place to see results... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
    I am not in any respect an expert in the matter of exercise of nutrition so guys correct me if I am off with some of this. But this is the advice that has been given to me and this is what has worked for me.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Right the only way you are ever going to see your abs is by lowering your body fat percentage. You may not need to lose weight but you you need to become leaner to see ab definition.

(1) focus on decreasing the volume of cardio and opt for intensity. Yes, thats right. do LESS cardio but more intense. This is called HIIT (high Intensity Interval Training) For example, Sprint for 30 seconds, recover, sprint, recover, repeat 10 times or so. This type of exercise causes a massive spike in your heart rate and keeps your metabolism raised for elevated period of time.

(2) Lift Weights. Building muscle is hugely beneficial for your body in general. No you wont get bulky, and yes you will burn fat.
    Muscle takes a long time to develop and grow so dont expect to see results over night. Hard work and determination and heavy weights are your friends and will lead to the results you want to see.

(3) there is no such thing as spot reducing. You cannot pick where you want the fat to go. So doing 6 million crunches is not going to necessarily encourage ab definition as it isnt reducing the fat that is hiding them from you. :laugh: however, it is important to develop these muscles. I find the best way to do this is to avoid isolation exercises. Rather then just working your abs, try doing squats, deadlifts, lunges, planks, jumping jacks, etc. All exercises which encourage you to engage your core in an attempt to stabalise. The heavier the weights- the harder your abs work at stabalising. I havent done crunches, or sit ups for over a year now- just combination exercises and lifting and HIIT and my abs are pretty much the favourite part of my body.

(4) Stick to whole grains as carbs - they will give you energy. Also take in carbs in the form of veg such as sweet potato and brocoli. Take it easy on the fruit as it is high in sugar (healthy sugar mind you! but still everything in moderation!) Take in adequate amounts of protein to aid muscle recovery and repair. Consume healthy fats! Avocados, nuts, seeds, etc. Avoid sodium or salt in general as it causes water retention and bloating which can make your stomach seem bigger then it is. :happy:. Drink lots of water.

In my experience the abs are the last place to see results... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
    I am not in any respect an expert in the matter of exercise of nutrition so guys correct me if I am off with some of this. But this is the advice that has been given to me and this is what has worked for me.

^Very good advice!
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    duplicate
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member

^This is true.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Personally, I run 4x/week, lift 3x/week, and do abs 3x/week. I also stick to a 40/30/30 ratio and try to mainly eat fruits, veggies, lean meats and dairy, lots of legumes, whole grains, and drink a gallon of water. Just sayin' that's what worked for me.
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    I have the same problem. Thanks for the advice :flowerforyou:
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member

Good advice! I think ill take us that HIIT stuff :) thankyou!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Since you are happy about your current weight I would suggest doing a bulk phase, using strength training with heavy weights, very little cardio and adequate protein, once you add a few more pounds of lean muscle you can do a cut phase, while still lifting weights with a small caloric deficit, so when you get back to your current weight you are a lower BF% then you are now.

If you are not happy with your abs at that point rinse and repeat the above until you are, or lose more weight and weigh less to have those abs as your are not going to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

As a beginner in lifting it is possible to put on a couple pounds of muscle while in a deficit, and lose fat, but even this would lead to a lower weight if you were in a deficit, or probably not enough of a change in BF% if eating at maintenance to maintain your weight.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Bump
  • Thanks everyone for the really great advice :)