400 calories for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    my breakfast today will be 383 calories. And thats not even being creative and putting in anything yummy.

I'm so boring with my food :(

In all honesty, while eating a big breakfast have mental reasons to cause weight-loss (makes you feel fuller, gives you more energy throughout the day etc), how much you eat doesn't matter that much. If you're feeling energetic till your next meal with 400, go for it. If it takes you 800 calories to get to your next meal, so be it. What matters is how many calories you eat overall
  • stargazer008
    Options
    You decide on how much calories you want to eat for breakfast, whether it's 200 calories, 500 calories, etc. There really is no magic number for how much calories you should eat at a meal.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at least 400 calories for breakfast but it varies, some days more, some days less, depends on what I'm in the mood for that morning. I would agree with most people here that you should do what works for you.
  • haleylovessoccer
    Options
    I used to eat around 200 calories for breakfast but I would find myself getting really hungry and then over eating at lunch. Now I eat between 350-400 calories for breakfast and find myself staying full and eating a smaller lunch. But that is just what works for me and my schedule. The way you space out your calories is completely up to you and how hungry you get through out the day.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I once had a friend who would say "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper." I'm not sure it's how things really work, but he was in great shape!

I really dig this - your friend is awesome :)
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast...I do intermittent fasting, breakfast is an Americano with nothing in it. Works for me! :smile:
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I once had a friend who would say "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper." I'm not sure it's how things really work, but he was in great shape!

I really dig this - your friend is awesome :)

Your friend is also clueless.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll have anywhere between 400 and 600 calories for breakfast - I need the energy for my mid morning workouts!
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My stomach can't handle a lot of food when I first wake up & I almost never go over 200 cals at breakfast (except on weekends). My typical morning meal is either a bowl of cereal with 1% milk, light vanilla yogurt with fruit or a scrambled egg with a little cheese on top.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are usually around the 400 calories mark. I always believe that you need a good nutritious start to the day to rev up your metabolism (which is low and sluggish when you first wake up). Think of your metabolism as a fire and that you need plenty of "logs" & "kindling" to get it going and turn it into a roaring fire. Without it, it would only smolder and the same is said for your metabolism. So for those that either skip breakfast or have very little, their bodies are starting in a slow way and not working to their full potential (even if you don't feel hungry).
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are usually around the 400 calories mark. I always believe that you need a good nutritious start to the day to rev up your metabolism (which is low and sluggish when you first wake up). Think of your metabolism as a fire and that you need plenty of "logs" & "kindling" to get it going and turn it into a roaring fire. Without it, it would only smolder and the same is said for your metabolism. So for those that either skip breakfast or have very little, their bodies are starting in a slow way and not working to their full potential (even if you don't feel hungry).

This is not true.

Here is the link again for those who didn't read the first page:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency?hl=compliation+meal+frequency
  • MarGetsThinner
    Options
    I'm one of those people who rarely eat breakfast.. If anything I will have a snack around 10:30 or 11:00, because that's the time I will start getting hungry. And my weight loss has been going pretty good!
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    eat breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast fan. I'm just not hungry when I wake up. But since I have to trundle off to work, I have a whey protein shake (no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no soybean oil, from grass fed cows, etc), often with some coconut milk and sometimes Super Seeds (chia, flax, hemp), plus the cream in my coffee and I'm usually around 300-400 cals. Keeps me good until lunch.
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should have more calories in breakfast coz you are starting your day with it..A high-protein breakfast will keep you fuller longer and will also give you energy to take on the rest of the day.. I eat almost 600 calorie breakfasts and I feel great with it! Anything less than 400 calories, I start feeling hungry and by the end of the day, when I go for my workout, I have very less energy..But that's just me..I know it is best practice to have a large portion of your calories for breakfast, little lesser for lunch, and the least for dinner, so I follow this on most days..
  • sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast, but since eating breakfast I have had tremendous success with weight loss (before I join MFP though). Anyway, instead of counting calories, however, I count carbs, proteins, and fats. I choose from a list of healthy carbs, proteins, and fats to eat from. Following that plan, I would eat 5-6 meals and snacks per day and when I did that I lose 30 pounds..just from doing that alone, no exercise whatsoever. For two years, I stopped following that routine and gained back some weight..but have now decided to start up again. This time, however, I have incorporated exercise and the weight seems to be coming off faster. I'm eating all the time and exercising about 30 minutes daily. Sorry, a little off topic, but Breakfast is ALWAYS the most important meal of the day...NEVER SKIP IT!
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My breakfast on a day where i have time (more often than not or ill be to hungry by noon so i cook ) im between 500-600 calories. im easily full till lunch. I eat 4 eggs scrambled sprayed in pam wraped in a grism spinach tortilla :)

should add lunch for me is normally 1-2 pm
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I usually stick around 260ish. 300 at most. If I'm eating brunch, then I skip "lunch" and will do about 800 cals for brunch.

I find that by the time dinner rolls around, I USUALLY have 500-600 calories to work with. Then I add in a 30 minute walk before bed to burn off what I've eaten (to lessen whatever I've eaten for dinner) and usually end up good.

I also *sometimes* have a mid-morning or afternoon snack. If I remember to do so. I do get hungry a few hours after breakfast, but I either am too busy to eat or I snack on fruit or something.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I typically like to eat a large amount of calories first thing in the morning so that I can burn them off throughout the day..."upside down diet".

If I eat BELOW 400 calories a day, I tend to gorge at lunch.
    The past few weeks, I've been eating <300 cals for breakfast and I've noticed an increase in weight.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    You can eat as much for breakfast as you like. Some people eat 800 calories and lose weight, some people don't eat breakfast at all and lose weight.
    If your breakfast works for you, stick with it!

^^^^ Nailed it exactly. /thread. :)

PS: I will say that if what you are doing works for you, it's still worth experimenting with other things to see if they work BETTER. But that's a personal choice, and your point that different things work for different people (and the implication that timing is relatively unimportant) is spot-on.