10 Worst Cardio Crimes

Options

Replies

• Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I doubt that was from not stretching BEFORE his workout.

And the article isn't saying don't stretch EVER, it's saying don't stretch before. So let's say you're going to do a 5K (or marathon), do something for 5 minutes as a warmup (slow job, jumping jacks -- whatevs), THEN stretch, THEN do your workout.

Actually it specifically says DON'T stretch after you warm up as it defeats the purpose of the warmup. (not commenting on the accuracy one way or the other, just saying it does mention that as bad).

I like #1 cause I used to laugh at the people at the gym that would have the treadmill on the biggest incline and fastest speed and then grip the railings and lean back so their body was at a near 90 degree angle with the treadmill floor. Not a natural walking posture at all.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Really surprised to read number 3, about the author discouraging people from stretching before your work out.. I actually disagree with that. Is it not true that you decrease your risk of injuring a muscle if you stretch before exercise?

I was surprised by that too. I have always heard you should stretch before. Every organized sport I have played we stretched before. That is exactly why I put the disclaimer at the beginning. :huh:

Actually, I've seen LOTS of things that stay stretching before your workout INCREASES injury risk. You should stretch after.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Really surprised to read number 3, about the author discouraging people from stretching before your work out.. I actually disagree with that. Is it not true that you decrease your risk of injuring a muscle if you stretch before exercise?

I was surprised by that too. I have always heard you should stretch before. Every organized sport I have played we stretched before. That is exactly why I put the disclaimer at the beginning. :huh:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    the way I read it was he didn't want people doing something to warm up...and then cool off by stretching...i think if you stretch before you start any activity then sure that's ok...but the way he stated how people confuse a warm up with stretching and that stretching cools down the muscles so why bother warming up....

means he's reading it as people 1. warm up 2. stretch 3 work out....where as I think if we 1. stretch, 2 warm up, 3 work out...that would work...

at least that's how I'm looking at it.
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options

The stretching before working out is very old school. You're more likely to strain something stretching cold muscles. You're much better off stretching once everything is all warm up. If you use something like TRX for strength, the stretching is actually part of the workout.
  • mangozulu
    Options

the latest research is indicating that static stretching isn't beneficial and actually undermines muscle strength. Dynamic stretching (putting the joints through their full range of motion without holding a static stretch) is the new recommendation, this can also function as a warm up.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options

You should always do a short warm up (jumping jacks, ect), then stretch. That's what I've been told anyway...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Actually, the advice to stretch cold muscle before you workout was changed years ago.

Better to just extend the warmup longer.
  • TheNewLeslie
    TheNewLeslie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I doubt that was from not stretching BEFORE his workout.

And the article isn't saying don't stretch EVER, it's saying don't stretch before. So let's say you're going to do a 5K (or marathon), do something for 5 minutes as a warmup (slow job, jumping jacks -- whatevs), THEN stretch, THEN do your workout.

Actually it specifically says DON'T stretch after you warm up as it defeats the purpose of the warmup. (not commenting on the accuracy one way or the other, just saying it does mention that as bad).

I like #1 cause I used to laugh at the people at the gym that would have the treadmill on the biggest incline and fastest speed and then grip the railings and lean back so their body was at a near 90 degree angle with the treadmill floor. Not a natural walking posture at all.

^^^ This ^^^

Because they STILL make me laugh.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Fitness advice is like diet advice. Ten years ago or more, everyone stretched before their workouts. These days, they say not to stretch or only do dynamic stretches. Just like Ten years ago they said eggs are bad for you and now everyone thinks their God's gift to nutrition.

Go with the flow and do what you feel is best for you and take all advice with a grain of salt.
  • mangozulu
    Options
    Fitness advice is like diet advice. Ten years ago or more, everyone stretched before their workouts. These days, they say not to stretch or only do dynamic stretches. Just like Ten years ago they said eggs are bad for you and now everyone thinks their God's gift to nutrition.

Go with the flow and do what you feel is best for you and take all advice with a grain of salt.

To an extent you're right. However, we used to to think the world was flat and the sun revolved around the earth......... I'm glad that we keep advancing our knowledge.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Perhaps the author was referring to static stretching as opposed to dynamic.

There has been some recent research that suggest that static stretching before running etc has little or no value in terms of injury prevention (ie injury rates were virtually identical between stretchers and non-stretchers) and may actually be detrimental to performance.

Dynamic before, static after.

Well put.

Stretching a cold muscle (not warmed up) is a risky endeavor. don't get "warming up" confused with stretching. If I am going to stretch before an athletic activity, I warm up first, then stretch.

^^This. Warm up, then stretch, but dynamic stretching only.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The stretching one surprised me, especially because in Insanity, the stretching is done after the warmup.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I read not to use weights when walking because it puts your arms out of a natural motion and makes you more likely to strain your shoulder, especially if you aren't REALLY careful with the way you swing/move them.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Confusing "Activity" with Cardio
    This is probably the most common mistake I see. We know how important it is to be active, and so we try to count every activity we do as "exercise" or cardio. That can be a big mistake for several reasons. While any activity is better than no activity, only those activities that meet the requirements for cardio activity really give us the health and fitness benefits we exercise in order to reap. Plus, tracking calories burned from every little thing you do is only misleading. You're only really burning "extra" calories when you're working pretty darn hard—not when you're simply walking leisurely through the mall or doing some light cleaning. Learn more about the differences between activity and exercise.

OooOOOooooo I bet lots of MFP'ers are going to be upset about this one. Haha.

That is exactly what I thought. :laugh:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I thought the "drinking" point was a bit out of date too - everything I've read lately says "drink when thirsty", not "drink regularly".
    Although perhaps that is more relevant for long slow activities (eg. slow long distance runneres, like me).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    When playing sports, in pregame in both HS and College our trainers didn't stretch us and if they did, it was very light. If we were late we were always told we're doing plyo's to warm up and that's it (normally it was plyos and light stretching). The reasoning, I was told by multiple trainers at multiple schools was, the muscle is not made to streatch...it contracts. Stretching muscles can put un needed stress on them, or even cause tears (micro-trauma). Stretching has been out dated for a while, from what I have been taught.

We were instructed that warming up with a plyometric exercises was a better form of warming up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I thought the "drinking" point was a bit out of date too - everything I've read lately says "drink when thirsty", not "drink regularly".
    Although perhaps that is more relevant for long slow activities (eg. slow long distance runneres, like me).

If you wait until you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I can see the logic in everything but #3. Its kinda ridiculous to me. I was having problems with stiffness and soreness when I didnt stretch before my workouts/after warmup and I havent had a single issue since starting.