• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    brb google
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    OK I'm back. Wiki says:

Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name pon haus,[1][2] is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a rural American food of the Mid-Atlantic states (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland). Scrapple and pon haus are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, including the Mennonites and Amish. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Grind up a pig, put it in a can... Scrapple!
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm blind. Thought you wrote, "Scrabble" and kind of wished you had of lol. Yuck.

Edit: Never heard of Scrapple until now.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure its a Pennsylvania dutch food. I'm from Pa, and even I'm not sure what its made of but I know it contains pork. I've seen people eat it and it looks so gross I've never tried it. A lot of people eat it with pancake syrup.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    So, it's Spam?
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    071174000066.jpg

It's a yummy heart attack in the making, but SO good on toast with egg!

edit: Tastes nothing like SPAM. Its a unique flavor. I can't compare it to anything.
  • clbilardo
    Options
    It is a Philadelphia thing but don't knock it till you've tried it. It may look gross but tastes really good!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty much spam. I saw an episode of Diners and Drive-In's where they made it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My FIL says it's all the stuff on the butcher's floor mixed up and put in a package. He and my husband love it. Me? Not so much.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Well, I just lost my appetite.
  • hbrittingham
    Options
    Oh, and it's not like Spam at all.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    My husband gets it in any diner we are in when we are in Philly. I don't know what it is exactly but it looks gross if you ask me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Is it like Treet? My step-dad used to eat that crap! Spam is waaaaay more palatable!
  • hbrittingham
    Options
    It's like Neese's Liver Pudding, but has more pork parts in it besides liver.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Well, that sounds just delicious.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Saw it on an episode of Dirty Jobs. Looks horrid making it but the finished product seems ok.
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Grind up a pig, put it in a can... Scrapple!

Yup, pretty much! no matter how much you fry it, it will retain the consistency of lumpy wet pudding.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    They take the scraps and mix with a binder (mostly cornmeal I believe) and some of that hog head broth to make a loaf. It would congeal and make scrapple. Cut, brown and serve.

Head cheese is kinda like that but I think they use the natural fats boiled from the head to make that. Then squish the moisture out. Can't recall.

My grandparents used to make the real stuff when I was tiny so my memory is kinda fuzzy on the whole process.
    I remember the wood fire, big pot boiling and the hog that's about it. I settle for the commercial stuff nowadays. It's probably 95% cornmeal today.

The secret to Scrapple is to just eat it and don't look at the label.

It's delicious. I like it cut thin so it's nice and crispy. :happy:
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Head cheese? WTF is head cheese?!?!?!?