Replies

• Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Plus, almond milk tastes better :P
  • brh2010
    brh2010 Posts: 9
    Options
    I was always told to abstain from anything white (bread, flour, sugar, etc) well, except for cauliflower, and you'd be all right diet-wise.
  • jeffsater
    Options
    Plus, almond milk tastes better :P

That's what I've started drinking... Unsweetended vanilla Almond milk. IMO, it tastes terrible by itself but it's better than regular milk in protein shakes. For breakfast, instead of drinking 8 oz of skim milk, now I drink 8 oz of Almond milk with a scoop of chocolate protein powder for flavor (and 25g of protein)
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I often give in and buy the sweetened vanilla almond milk. it's so delicious and still only 90 calories a cup.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Just curious as to why you seem to be concerned about sugar? From a weight perspective it's not really a concern it's calories in vs. calories out. Nothing wrong with carbs either. Don't let the food nazi's scare you

Just because something doesn't matter "from a weight perspective" doesn't make it healthy. In most diets, added sugar is not healthy.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie. if you hit your macro and micronutrients you'll be healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the "calories in, calories out" that everyone keeps saying. If you eat 1500 calories a day of healthy food, you are going to be a lot healthier than if you ate 1500 calories of junk. Maybe you could lose weight eating junk but you wouldn't be healthy.

No one said anything about health. It's in regards to weight loss. Hence me saying "In regards to weight loss..."

Yes, someone did say something about health. Both the Topic header and the OP was about health.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the "calories in, calories out" that everyone keeps saying. If you eat 1500 calories a day of healthy food, you are going to be a lot healthier than if you ate 1500 calories of junk. Maybe you could lose weight eating junk but you wouldn't be healthy.

Voice of reason.

I'd argue that the weight loss would be better on the healthy food too.

It's not all about calories in and out.

Hold on, I'll say that again ... It's not all about calories in and out.

One more time for the hard of thinking ... It's not all about calories in and out.

:happy:
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Just curious as to why you seem to be concerned about sugar? From a weight perspective it's not really a concern it's calories in vs. calories out. Nothing wrong with carbs either. Don't let the food nazi's scare you

Actually it depends on your body type and tolerances. Granted, I have PCOS, but if I eat too many refined carbs and stay under my calories I gain in under 24 hours. But if I eat the same calories without the carby stuff I lose. Some peoples bodies just don't process certain things the same way.
  • bhfood
    bhfood Posts: 77
    Options
    thx for sharing this. It is enlightening. I like the food diary so much because with it there are no lies (unless you're in denial and lying to yourself, in which case you better wake up and smell the peanut butter). lol
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The milk is a shock to me. Does it list sugar as an added ingredient??
  • asticoral
    Options
    I went through the same realization lately. I honestly had no idea how bad a lot of things were for me. Once I started paying attention to the labels and looking at nutrition values for restaurants online, I was blown away. I thought that by passing on my beloved ranch dressing and ordering balsamic vinaigrette at a restaurant, I was making the smart choice, but most restaurants somehow manage to pack more than 100 calories into two tablespoons of balsamic. HOW? As a result, I keep trying to find a decent leak proof travel salad container to just take my own to the restaurants. I also thought my morning granola bars were good for me, but they were packed with sugar and saturated fat.

The second epiphany came to me when I realized that when looking at the labels, the calories WEREN'T the most important thing to pay attention to. If higher in calories also means higher in protein and fiber while lower on sugar than the other options, I will go with the higher calorie option because the protein and fiber will keep me fuller longer. Learning how to effectively read nutritional labels was a much longer process than one would think. But since I learned how to read them and what to eat, I actually find it difficult to reach my 1400 calories every day, often times even 1200 is a stretch. It turns out there is plenty of delicious food that is healthy and good for you that keeps you FULL and satisfied.

Love this post....... looking at and reading / understanding the labels is the most over looked but important thing we can do for ourselves
  • blf112761
    Options
    I think the majority of people on here are trying to lose weight to get healthier

I actually think the majority of people are trying to lose weight for vanity reasons. Difference of opinion I guess.

I'll admit that's the main reason I'm doing it. Getting healthier is an added bonus. lol! :laugh:

My major focus is health related - I want to lose enough weight so that I won't have to take blood pressure medication anymore (or at least be able to cut way back), and I also want to increase my endurance, strengthen my lungs (and hopefully cut back or eliminate my asthma meds). If I happen to look better as a result ... no complaints here! :wink: But it's definitely not my main goal, not at all.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but sugar is my problem. It is the reason I ever needed to lose weight. I have an addiction to sugar. Once I start eating it, it snowballs out of control.

Therefore, I try to eliminate it from my diet. Yes, that means I look at all labels, try to eat mostly raw, whole foods, limit my fruits and vegetables to low glycemic, drink unsweetened almond milk, use truvia in my coffee (and I limit my coffee to one a day, so even truvia is limited).

I guess it depends on what your weakness is; I find I stay trim when I cut the sugar; I gain quickly when I don't
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

Voice of reason.

I'd argue that the weight loss would be better on the healthy food too.

It's not all about calories in and out.

Hold on, I'll say that again ... It's not all about calories in and out.

One more time for the hard of thinking ... It's not all about calories in and out.

It IS calories in/calories out, with the caveat that actual absorption of calories might be lower with whole foods vs. processed foods (or raw vs. cooked). Now, it is true that eating nothing but twinkies for your alloted calories would leave you jittery, hungry and probably lead to scurvy, but if you were locked in a dungeon and the only food available was 1200 calories of twinkies shoved into your cell each morning, you would lose weight. (and teeth, probably)
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My favorite sandwich is either a 6 in or foot long oven roasted chicken sub on wheat from Subway. I'm unique in that I only like the bread and the meat.

All I get is the bread, the chicken, a little buffalo sauce, and some oregano.

It's about 320 cal & 5 grams of fat in a 6 inch. So, not too bad. It's probably a little heavy on the carbs and sodium though.

I also only like the bread and the meat and I get asked a million times if I'm sure I don't want anything else on my sandwiches. Ah I love my plain sandwiches! I hate condiments.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Actually it depends on your body type and tolerances. Granted, I have PCOS, but if I eat too many refined carbs and stay under my calories I gain in under 24 hours. But if I eat the same calories without the carby stuff I lose. Some peoples bodies just don't process certain things the same way.

This is me... I also have PCOS. I eat carbs, but I eat good carbs. If I don't, the weight comes back immediately and I have a hard time losing it again. It works for me. I did find that after a fairly short period of time after changing my diet, my carb cravings all but disappeared. Bagels are my total downfall, and I could eat one every day. Now that's my 1 day a week "treat" and generally before one of my intense work out days with my trainer.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie. if you hit your macro and micronutrients you'll be healthy.

^ This. And before anyone completely misses the boat on this, the "YOU MEAN YOU CAN EAT CAKE ALL DAY DERP?!" arguments are misunderstanding what the above means. Try hitting your nutrient requirements with massive amounts of junk food and you'll quickly discover that you can't do it.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY EXCITING FOR YOU! GREAT JOB!!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

It's not being a "food nazi" to recognize that not everyone is the same. High carbs and sugars can be problematic for some people and those people may benefit by eating slightly more healthy protein and fat. To say sugar is only a concern if one is diabetic is completely false, imo. Sorry, but it's not just calories in and calories out for EVERYONE.