Pucking Genius. :love: :love:
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    OH! Nerd fight!!! Getting popcorn.....
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are genetically programmed to love sugar, not because carbs are good for us but because fruit has vitamins in it!

Skip the fruit & take a multivitamin supplement and watch the pounds melt off, then please watch the movie "Fat-Head" on Hulu or Netflix, it does a much better job explaining than I ever could. I'm down a very healthy 25 lbs in 23 weeks after watching "Fat-Head".

I wanted to exercise but haven't really gotten around to it, the only changes I have made are to reduce my food-carb intake to 1/4th of what it used to be and I switched from beer to vodka for my alcohol intake (less carbs).

I do still eat bread (such a good delivery vehicle for meat) and I haven't ever paid attention to fat or calories, but with these relatively minor lifestyle changes I'm loosing right around 1lb/week. Asking "can I substitute broccoli in place of the fries" takes way less effort than 3-5 hours a week at the gym and 20 minutes of daily calorie tracking.
    You do realize you are losing weight solely because you've cut calories, right? If you've gone from (for example) 200 grams of carbs a day to 50 grams a day, that's cutting 600 calories a day. If you had cut 75% of your protein or fat consumption, you would've had the same results.

Haven't watched Fat-Head, but any documentary that recommends taking supplements instead of eating actual food is 100% wrong. Calories make people gain and lose weight, not sugar or fruit.

^ More people need to listen to this guy.

if there were a best fitness and nutrition expert list here, the man would be at or near the top.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are genetically programmed to love sugar, not because carbs are good for us but because fruit has vitamins in it!

Skip the fruit & take a multivitamin supplement and watch the pounds melt off, then please watch the movie "Fat-Head" on Hulu or Netflix, it does a much better job explaining than I ever could. I'm down a very healthy 25 lbs in 23 weeks after watching "Fat-Head".

I wanted to exercise but haven't really gotten around to it, the only changes I have made are to reduce my food-carb intake to 1/4th of what it used to be and I switched from beer to vodka for my alcohol intake (less carbs).

I do still eat bread (such a good delivery vehicle for meat) and I haven't ever paid attention to fat or calories, but with these relatively minor lifestyle changes I'm loosing right around 1lb/week. Asking "can I substitute broccoli in place of the fries" takes way less effort than 3-5 hours a week at the gym and 20 minutes of daily calorie tracking.
    You do realize you are losing weight solely because you've cut calories, right? If you've gone from (for example) 200 grams of carbs a day to 50 grams a day, that's cutting 600 calories a day. If you had cut 75% of your protein or fat consumption, you would've had the same results.

Haven't watched Fat-Head, but any documentary that recommends taking supplements instead of eating actual food is 100% wrong. Calories make people gain and lose weight, not sugar or fruit.

^ More people need to listen to this guy.

^^this
  • linksep
    linksep Posts: 4
    Options

No, I have actually increased calories, but I have lowered insulin by lowering carbs in any form.

Fat-Head doesn't advocate taking a vitamin instead of fruit, that's my suggestion because fruit has lots of sugar and vitamins... sugar is the devil and vitamins are good so how do you get vitamins without sugar.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No, I have actually increased calories, but I have lowered insulin by lowering carbs in any form.

Fat-Head doesn't advocate taking a vitamin instead of fruit, that's my suggestion because fruit has lots of sugar and vitamins... sugar is the devil and vitamins are good so how do you get vitamins without sugar.........

lolz
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

:laugh: sugar is the devil :laugh:
  • inspiredfitchick
    Options
    Although this particular article does not list the specific study Charles Poliquin lists science based studies in his other articles. Charles Poliquin is an elite athlete coach that trains Olympic and professional athletes. He stays up to date with the latest scientific studies. So I think unless your name is Google or you have credentials to boot I am going to follow his advice thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Although this particular article does not list the specific study Charles Poliquin lists science based studies in his other articles. Charles Poliquin is an elite athlete coach that trains Olympic and professional athletes. He stays up to date with the latest scientific studies. So I think unless your name is Google or you have credentials to boot I am going to follow his advice thanks.

Could you refer us to these other articles then please where science based studies are listed please.

Also, I would not be taking advice from Google which is a company and not a scientist. What are Charles Poliquin credientials with respect to nutrition?. He is a strength trainer, not a nutritionist. I am also always more sceptical of someone who sells their own products and supplements while slamming whole food groups.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't concern myself with the sugar in fruits, I only watch added sugar, which has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. You will find when you start checking labels that sugar and corn syrup seem to have been added to everything.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If sugar is the question, my answer is yes.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I personally track my sugar and then I look at whether I was over due to good things like fruit or unhealthy options like candy. As long I'm over due to the healthy foods then I don't stress
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I like sugar. :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I like sugar. :)

which just increases your awesome factor.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    ohhh.....and supplementing vitamins.. no like. ;)
  • mumneek
    mumneek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of contradictions in these posts! Great discussion . Would love some comment from the nutritionists at MFP.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    there are none...
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar is possible if that's what you want. I was forced into it because I was on the verge of diabetes. Of course it was difficult at first. I did the South Beach diet for 2 weeks and then went off of it and went to a nutritionist for help with meal planning.My nutritionist guidelines were to never exceed more than 3 times grams of carbs compared to grams of protein in any one meal or snack. I eat a low sodium. low carb diet and managed to lose 180lbs. I eat try to eat 100g protein. 100g carbs and 50 g fat each day. Since i have reached my wt goal I am starting to add in a few more carbs. Check out my food diary
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe also trains elite and Olympic athletes, but he doesn't know a damn thing about nutrition, and he doesn't pretend to know a damn thing about nutrition. I'll take the advice of Alan Aragon, a guy who has advanced degrees in nutrition and human biology over a strength coach any day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Well, in that case let me contact Area 51, because if you really increased your calories (how you did that when you practically eliminated an entire macronutrient group from your diet, I don't know) and lost weight, then you obviously must be an alien from another planet, as human biology doesn't work that way. Also, insulin has NOTHING TO DO WITH FAT STORAGE. The human body is storing fat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no matter what your insulin level is. The human body also burns fat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, no matter what your acute insulin level is. If high insulin levels cause weight gain, then why is WEIGHT LOSS a symptom of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes? Insulin's job (well, one of it's several hundred jobs) is to transport glucose and nutrients to muscle tissue and organs for processing, energy use, and repair and maintenance. Also, insulin signals the body to shift to anabolic mode (muscle and tissue building/repair) instead of catabolic mode (muscle and tissue breakdown.) Fat storage is a completely separate event, handled by different systems.

So why does acute fat storage go up, and acute fat burning go down as soon as you eat, and insulin levels rise? BECAUSE YOU JUST ATE FOOD. The human body is wired to use the food you eat for energy first, and rely on stored fat for energy during fasting periods between eating. Even without insulin rising, you will down regulate stored fat burning after eating. Of course, the only way to eat without a large increase in insulin levels is to eat mostly fat. So while your body isn't burning stored body fat, it's burning fat that you just ate, hence people being convinced that eating low carb burns more fat (duh, obviously if you eat more fat, you will burn more fat, not really rocket science to understand that.)

Again, calories are the thing that matters for weight control, macro nutrient composition is irrelevant for weight control. Macros matter a bit for overall body composition (along with proper exercise,) but not for weight gain/loss.