How can I get more protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans, and more beans! My daughter decided she wanted to be a vegetarian a couple of weeks ago, so I've been preparing a lot of vegetarian friendly meals. I sometimes go a couple of days without eating meat (and I sometimes eat a lot of it like today ;-) ) I never have problems getting enough protein. I'll eat a large salad with chickpeas/garbanzo beans or a burrito in a home made whole wheat tortilla with black beans, sauteed veggies, and guac (soooo yummy)! I also have a smoothie made with greek yogurt, milk, kale, spinach, bananas, and berries for breakfast every day. You can definitely meet your protein requirements without eating meat. Green leafy veggies even have protein! :-)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Tuna, Salmon (all in a pouch or can)
    Nuts and seeds

there are multiple types of protein powders out there you can add to a fruit smoothie, oatmeal or yogurt
    I use a vegetarian protein powder from Earth Fare
    I've also bought the Arbonne protein powder which is pea and cranberry protein
    legumes (beans)
    Eggs
    Low fat dairy
    Bocca burger (or other vegetarian burgers are high in protein)
    Soy (if you're not allergic)

Quinoa - a grain ; the only grain that contains a full protein

You can actually get plenty of protein without eating meat.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love the pouches of flavored tuna (Tuna Creations from Starkist) mixed with Laughing Cow cheese on crackers. Great protien and tastes great. They are also convenient. Protein bars and whey protein (Body Fortress) are other handy sources for me.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    legumes (beans and lentils), leafy greens, bananas, brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, oats, etc.