Polar FT4 & 'Ripped in 30'

Options
So I'm in week 4 day 5 of Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 program. I just got my Polar FT4 with chest strap and did this workout. After the 28 minute workout, it said I burned 450 calories. Can this be really accurate, is this Polar reliable? That seems like a lot to me.

5'9, 190lbs, female

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty accurate :)
    Polar makes GREAT HRMs.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • ckport
    ckport Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just did day 2 week 1 (again) and my FT4 said I burned 182 calories. I'm a little smaller than you are (a LOT shorter!), but it seems to me that one of our HRMs is off! Not sure which though
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, I weigh 141lbs and on average my Polar FT4 says I burn 220 calories doing Ripped.
  • nikky110
    nikky110 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same one you got and it is very accurate! I wouldn't trade it for anything else. It gives you the exact calories burned for your height and weight.
  • shirin8
    shirin8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That sounds really high. Can you calibrate your HRM by doing another work out where you have a good sense of the burn (i.e. treadmill/elliptical)? This way you can triangulate how accurate the HRM is
  • Ajorust15
    Options
    I just did day 2 week 1 (again) and my FT4 said I burned 182 calories. I'm a little smaller than you are (a LOT shorter!), but it seems to me that one of our HRMs is off! Not sure which though

What was your avg heart rate? Mine was 166, which sounds about right....granted I always thought I was in better shape. :s
  • sandrajune72
    Options

Not meaning to be rude to the OP, but I have heard the heavier you are, the more calories you burn. This could explain the discrepancy?
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to remember what the HRM is measuring; your heart rate. If a person is out of shape, their heart rate is going to be quite a bit higher than someone else who is the same weight, fit, and doing the same exercise. Thus, it is difficult to compare two people when their relative fitness is not considered.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", 125 pounds (when I was doing RI30) and I never burned more than 200 calories. To burn 450 I have to work really hard for at least an hour. A normal workout for me is two JM levels (30DS, Kickboxing, 6W6P, ES&S, KB&T). I do one of the longer ones (the last 3) and one of the shorter ones (first 2). It comes to about an hour. That will generally put me around 350. And then I jog in place while cleaning the kitchen until I get to 400.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    Everyone has to remember what the HRM is measuring; your heart rate. If a person is out of shape, their heart rate is going to be quite a bit higher than someone else who is the same weight and is fit doing the same exercise. Thus, it is difficult to compare two people when their relative fitness is not considered.

Agreed! That was what I was trying to say! You put it so much better! :laugh: