What to eat before and after evening workouts?

Options
Hello!
I have a question: because I'll be at the gym when I'd normally be at home having dinner, I am trying to figure out what I should eat before and after so I dont miss out on my nutrition.
Yesterday I wasn't prepared at all and rushed a greek yogurt and some grapes down my goblet before I went to the gym and when I was done with my workout I was very hungry.
What can I eat after the gym when I am getting home like at 8pm that wont keep me up at night with soo much energy? Or what could I eat before I hit the gym, please keep in mind I am heading straight from work to the gym and don't really have access a to blender to make shakes here at work.
Also, just til the end of the month I have been on a vegetarian diet, by personal choice and doing pretty well. Starting September 1st I am reintroducing meat slowly, starting with turkey.
Any suggestions on pre or post workout meals?

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are still doable. Get a blender bottle. They are AMAZING!! I never use a blender.
  • elliemae207
    Options
    I've tried Jamba Juice smoothies with protein boost before working out, and it seemed to work for me.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If I need a snack before the gym and I can't do a smoothie, I like string cheese w/ a handful of almonds or pistachios, maybe some grapes. Or half a Kind bar, saving the other half for after my workout but before I get home to fix dinner.
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    Options
    A protein shake for me after every workout, no matter what time of day. I use a blender and ice. Shaking it tasted like chocolate milk, using a blender makes it taste like a milkshake. 24 g protein, 2 g fat, 2 g carb and no sugar. A good investment is in a high quality protein powder.:flowerforyou:
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    Options
    Oh, I also use fat free milk in it. Didn't want you to think it was protein powder and ice, that would be gross!:laugh:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When I would workout right after work and wanted something I would have a luna protein bar. After I would have a protein shake and then a small dinner usually.
  • _CFi
    _CFi Posts: 11
    Options
    A protein shake for me after every workout, no matter what time of day. I use a blender and ice. Shaking it tasted like chocolate milk, using a blender makes it taste like a milkshake. 24 g protein, 2 g fat, 2 g carb and no sugar. A good investment is in a high quality protein powder.:flowerforyou:

This sounds like an excellent idea, do you have any suggestions on brands you like?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Personal preference
  • _CFi
    _CFi Posts: 11
    Options
    If I need a snack before the gym and I can't do a smoothie, I like string cheese w/ a handful of almonds or pistachios, maybe some grapes. Or half a Kind bar, saving the other half for after my workout but before I get home to fix dinner.

Love this, sounds really good too, thank you
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I normally have a small snack before and nothing after