Does Green Tea count toward water intake?

Options
Had a conversation with my girlfriend and she said Green Tea doesn't count toward water intake because it has caffeine. I have always counted it.

Just curious what others think.

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    When at a slimming club I was told that it does indeed count towards water intake
  • Cravepain
    Cravepain Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of tea but have never counted it towards my water intake. If it contains caffeine then it isn't water. That is how I look at it anyways, so I would have to agree with your girlfriend. Only count water as water. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You'll find varying answers to this question (as you can see!). Personally I count it as water. Others will only count it as half and some say it doesn't count at all. It's really a matter of personal preference as far as I'm concerned.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    According to current medical thinking caffeine is only dehydrating when consumed in large amounts. Green tea doesn't have that much and it is as hydrating as water. Check out the link from the mayo clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No Cafeine, No Sugar and No Carbonation = Water

if it has any of those three it is not water and if it has cafeine, you need to drink extra water to make up for the cafeine which can dehydrate you.

Log an snack or food item.

Best of luck!!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I count it as water! Hardly any caffeine in it and it's good for you too!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am seeing that there is no clear cut answer to this.
    I am going to increase my water and not count the tea. I read that Mayo clinic article and it said that it is not dehydrating unless it is over 7 cups. Between coffee and the green tea I absolutely exceed that. Thanks again all. :)