Changing Activity Level When Moving Back to School?

Options
The question is fairly straight forward, and I know it could go either way, I was just wondering what other people would do personally if they were in a similar situation.

I have my activity level set at sedentary currently. When I move back to school, I will be either walking or riding my bike to and from class as well as around campus during the day.

I was wondering if others were in this situation, would you change your activity level to "lightly active" and not log the biking/walking, or leave the activity level at "sedentary" and log the biking and walking as exercise. I think either way I would still log any extra exercising such as gym time/running. I imagine my weekends would still be fairly sedentary aside from actual work outs.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You could get something like a Fitbit and see how much walking you're really doing. You can even get one of those devices for your bike and start tracking that too. That way, you'll see how much your activity has increased.
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing! I forgot how much more walking I did during school. I'm up and moving somewhere every hour and when I'm singing in choir 3 days out of every week I am on my feet a lot of the time. I'm thinking about changing my activity level to slightly active, but I also haven't seen the scale move in the last few days at my current calorie intake! I would maybe monitor your weight loss at your current activity level and caloric intake and see what happens and then maybe move it up to slightly active.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'd change to lightly active. I know when I was in college I didn't realize how much walking around and climbing stairs I was actually doing (until I got a car and gained weight!), and that was on a fairly small campus. If your weight loss stalls, then switch back to sedentary and log the exercise, but if your experience is like mine was it is hard to keep track of 10 minutes walking here, 15 there.