Workout while sick

So if you workout while you are sick, is it possible you calories burned are a lot higher?

Replies

• lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Possibly, but I really have no idea. Good thing is that I've noticed working out lightly while sick helps me get over my sickness faster.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Oh I was hoping it might push my cold out faster.
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    i kept excersizing while i was sick and it helped, i didnt really end up feeling as crappy as i would of just laying in bed.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    uhmmm, what?

Depending on what kind of sickness you have, or how sick you are, you probably should REST and give your body time to catch up. If you're going to work out anyways, just don't do as intense of a work out as you would when you're healthy. Especially if you have a fever or any tightness in your chest.

In my experience, it makes it worse.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    uhmmm, what?

Depending on what kind of sickness you have, or how sick you are, you probably should REST and give your body time to catch up. If you're going to work out anyways, just don't do as intense of a work out as you would when you're healthy. Especially if you have a fever or any tightness in your chest.

In my experience, it makes it worse.

Agreed, every sports doc, PT etc I have ever been to says don't do it. You'll feel better for an hour or two, but it makes it harder to get over your colds. Your body spends resources repairing muscle rather than fighting the illness.