Vegetarianism..

Options
I can't seem to stick to any type of diet/eating plan/lifestyle so I was thinking of giving vegetarianism a shot. What are you peoples thoughts/opinions on this?

Replies

• T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Now, how "vegetarian" are you talking about here? Is it just avoiding meat, but eating eggs and/or dairy? I've heard of vegetarians who eat fish. If you go the "vegan" (pure vegetarian) route, you have to really know your nutrition, otherwise you will be missing some essential amino acids.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Actually, you wouldn't be missing any amino acids as a vegan. It is generally B-12 that is the concern because herbivores either make themselves and absorb (humans don't) or ... the other option isn't pretty but a B-12 supplement will take care of that.

You should be aware that vegetarianism isn't really a 'diet', there are plenty of high calorie foods, even in a vegan diet.

Why isn't calorie counting working for you? Is there a reason other than weight loss that you want to look at being a vegetarian?
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    I guess the biggest question to ask yourself is "Why do you want to become a vegetarian?" "What are your goals?" Is this because you feel the eating of animals is wrong? Is it because you want to lose weight? The only reason I ask is I don't think going veg is something that you just give a shot. It's more of a lifestyle transformation than a diet you just stick to in order to lose some weight.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity what are your eating habits now? What are you having issues with?

Vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice more than a diet. You seem very unsure maybe just stick to learning your portions and choosing foods that are 'clean' that wont be too drastic of a change for you. Like whole grains, raw veggies, fruits, water (lots of water!!) and if you eat meat whatever meat of your choice cooked in a healthful way! I am personally a vegetarian, and I really love just giant bowls of mixed greens, I can pig out without feeling like I consumed 300000 calories lol.

Good luck I hope you find whats right for you :smile:
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You should perhaps try flexitarianism first, see how you like it. I didn't even realize that's what I was doing until I went looking online for a diet I could perhaps follow. It's basically cutting way down on your meat, but not cutting it out altogether. For me it's more that meat is expensive and I'm on a budget and also that it takes too much planning, you have to take it out of the freezer the night before to thaw it and then I like it marinated for a while before cooking, I don't like planning my meals that far ahead. So basically I only eat meat when I'm at someone else's place for dinner or on the weekends when I go out to eat with my boyfriend or friends, and even then I only choose meat about half the time.

Also, although most people associate vegetarian with automatically skinny, that's not really true. My sister was vegetarian for many years, though we liked to call her a "pastatarian" because 80% of what she ate was pasta with meatless sauce or popcorn. Those foods are not beneficial to weight loss. Vegetarian does not automatically mean healthy eating habits.
  • MarthaLoraine
    MarthaLoraine Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and if its the right choice for you I say join the club :)
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    A common mistake that some new vegetarians (esp. those that don't really cook) make is to rely heavily on dairy or packaged products... which often can be more fattening, not less if you aren't really careful. It is more than a diet.. its a lifestyle commitment so I would do the research, figure out a cooking/shopping/time strategy first. It may be that you are better off reducing meat to a few times a week to start, and even then only lean cuts.
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    I am a vegetarian as well, and I love it! I switched about two months ago, so I'm still fairly new to it as well, but honestly, I don't crave meat at all. My skin is less oily, and I just feel better about my health overall. I switched because I wanted to feel healthier, and I love veggies so it gives me more incentive to do eat them. I also find that I have more energy! I don't really have a huge issue with eating animals, but I do love the idea that I am helping to save lives by not eating them. PETA actually has a really good Vegetarian/Vegan Starter Kit that you can download for free and it has a lot of information on it. The website is....

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/free-vegetarian-starter-kit.aspx

If you decide that vegetarianism is the right choice for you, add me and I can help you along the way. Like I said, I'm new to it too, but I love it! :)
  • vegogirl
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have been for years but I still managed to gain weight over the years :(
    Don't take it on as a weightloss thing but as a health and lifestyle choice.
    I may be over weight however I have never had a problem with cholesterol, hypertension diabetes or any other obesity related issues and I put that down to my large amount of fruit and vegetables consumed daily :)
  • sandyyy712
    Options
    the main reason i wanna do it is to clean up my diet. i would only cut out meat though..and im hoping doing this could help me eat healthier overall by eliminating some of the processed crap i eat a lot
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Start slow! Give up the red meat first (beef, lamb, and pork). This is the most unhealthiest meat anyway. Then, when you are ready you can eliminate the white meat (chicken and turkey). Eventually, you can move on to taking out seafood if you wish! But, there are vegetarians that still eat fish. They are called pescatarians. I would recommend you keep dairy and eggs in your diet. Also, make sure you get enough protein! Try tofu, soy, beans, and nuts in addition to dairy product and eggs to help you get enough nutrition! I recommend you take a daily multivitamin, too. Find one with iron, which you will probably be low on because meat is the main source of it. :)
    Hope I helped!
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    7 year vegetarian here! I suggest eliminating all land meats and to stick with fish once or twice a week.
    RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!
    Know what your body needs, know what the foods contain, then balance it out to fit your taste buds.
    Don't forget, if you don't like something that is "good for you", take at least ONE bite. Learn to love it, your body will love you!
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, being a vegetarian doesn't automatically guarantee weight loss. Many vegetarians rely too much on pasta and fake meat products, such as Morning star Farms. This leads to unhealthy levels of sodium and potential overconsumption of carbohydrates. That being said, there are MANY benefits. When my brother in law made the switch, he lost 30 lb. over the course of a year. Since going vegetarian 3 months ago, I've lost 3 lb. This weight loss is not fast or dramatic, BUT slow change is the kind that sticks. Not to mention the increased energy I feel etc.

For me, the lifestyle choice had just as much to do with morality as it did for concern over climate change and nutrition. You go veg for one reason and stay for so many more.

Some here have recommended going gradually, but I've tried this many times in my life and always failed. Going cold turkey was the only way that worked for me. Try out different ways and see what works for you.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I've heard of vegetarians who eat fish.

Those are pescetarians, not vegetarians.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism doesn't equal weight loss.

You can still have french fries, chips, candy etc.

You can combine it with healthy eating.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I became pescetarian because a lot of the cr*p I ate revolved around meat, so I cut the meat out. There was no ethical stance behind it and I did lose 10lb, then last 18lb are requiring far more effort though mostly because I got lax and starting eating veggie friendly crap too much. I can't see myself going back to meat eating for a long time, if ever, as I now find the idea of eating meat quite grotesque (only for me though - I'll still happily prepare and cook it in abundance for everyone else to enjoy).
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Don't forget, if you don't like something that is "good for you", take at least ONE bite. Learn to love it, your body will love you!

I so wish I could get my partner to take that mentality on board!!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My other half is technically a pescatarian (Veggie who eats fish!!) So we dont eat a lot of meat. Although she does not dictate it is easier to eat 1 meal than to prepare 2. This means that I eat a lot less meat than perhaps I would. The other side is that when we do buy meat we tend to buy locally sourced meat. Yes this costs more, but it is not as often. "Happy Clappy Meat" as she likes to call it.

Taken as a whole I eat a lot less meat, eat more fish and the meat that I do eat is good quality. Ticks all the boxes for a cleaner diet.

Personally I could never cut out meat, but cutting down does mean that when I have a steak I really enjoy it!

The longer I am on this site the more I realise that there is no definative right or wrong it is only what works for you that matters. If switching to Veggie or Pesc works for the OP then it is right for them.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I so wish I could get my partner to take that mentality on board!!

Or my kids!!
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have a real bug bear with people who call themselves vegetarians and eat fish. If you eat fish you are not a vegetarian, you are a pescatarian or a meat reducer. I've been vegetarian for over twenty years and still find restaurants that think if you are vegetarian you can choose from the fish menu. No I can't, I'm vegetarian!! Rant over.