Wanting to eat.

Options
I am staying with my mother to help her out for the next three weeks and while I love her very much, she can really get on my nerves after a while. Anyway, old habits die hard as they say. When I get stressed, I want to eat. Mom is lonesome and so when I am here she talks nonstop and she will ask me a quiestion and hardly give me time answer before asking another one or she is so busy talking she does not listen to what I'm telling her. Help! What do I do instead of eat? Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement.
God bless,
Doni :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shelleyi68
    Options
    I find drinking a large glass of water helps. Also, when I am stressed and feel the urge to eat, I make myself remove myself from the situation. Going for a walk is also a huge help!

Stay sane! :)
  • VanB78
    VanB78 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Try and remove yourself from the situation. GL!
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I should have written this in the motivation and support posts. Oh well...:blushing:
  • sweetyedie
    sweetyedie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's hard living a disciplined life. But not doing it is what got us overweight. I would try doing something that keeps your hands busy, ex knitting crocheting, hooking a rug. paint by number. that way it keeps your hands and mind busy and you can still visit with mom. Mom's can be frustrating, someone else can do the same thing and it isn't as frustrating as when mom does it. I'm not sure why but it is definitely that way. And yet you will miss her so much if something happens to her.
    See if you can do something special with her, like a picnic lunch, or a small hike, or looking at pics. That way you'll remember a cool time.
    Also pray that the Lord gives you patience and is your comfort not food. I hope this helps. ;0)
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Try to remember that she doesn't do it on purpose and may not even realize it. When you're talking, try to laugh at some point and say, "MOOOO-OOOM, lemme TELLLLL you-" or gently say, "Shh- shh... I'll tell you everything but I don't have the energy to talk over you, besides, I want to hear what you have to say too." Honestly, she may not even realize she does it. By pointing it out, she may be able to make that small change.
    If she can't or doesn't:

First, have some emergency backup ready in case you NEEEEEEED to eat. Cut some stalks of celery, carrot sticks, have some broccoli boiled or fresh cut, red/yellow peppers cut up, etc. Skinny pop popcorn (I cannot speak highly enough of it) is also a good snack.

That being said, going to food for stress relief doesn't solve either problem (trying to lose weight or trying to cope with mum). You need to figure out another mechanism to help you get through. Perhaps you can bring her outside to weed the garden (I find pulling weeds is a great stress relief- a bit like yanking out hair- LMAO) or shove the carrots/celery stick to her so her mouth is full XD Ok,maybe not. But you DO need to find something that will comfort you instead of food. Get outside and take a walk or do some yoga. That will give you some alone time to look forward to and will also help you ditch the stress (and there's the added health benefit).

Keep reminding yourself, it's only temporary and someday you really will miss her interruptions and chatter.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    munch on vegetables.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    also, shes probably lonely, let her talk!
  • sharlowbrla
    Options
    call a friend and chit chat a while.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Finding that outlet for stress is different for every person. It does sound like you would benefit by removing yourself from the scene at least momentarily. If possible take Mom to a movie or somewhere that limits conversation. If she has a girlfriend or neighbor bring her around to socialize a bit. Or take a nice bubble bath and soak it all away :)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,072 Member
    Options
    Break out a set of cards and a cribbage board. Pretty hard to munch when your hands are occupied... and your mom might enjoy it too!
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Give your mom the much-needed attention she needs (trust me, I understand your position.....I feel the same about mine)! Also remember she won't be around forever and you don't want to feel guilty like you let her down or something of the sort. But, everyone is right......let her know you love her and want to help her but also let her know you need a little time for yourself everyday FOR yourself! Get out for a walk or go shopping..... Do SOMETHING by yourself to help you de-stress and get your mind off of eating b/c you are stressed. I am 100% sure the solution to this problem is going to be you finding something to do for YOU for a little while when the urge hits you! You don't have to be hateful to her and tell her she gets on your nerves to make this happen! Just let her know you love her but you have a lot of stress too and let her know you need a little time for you too! Good luck!
  • danne32339
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your encouragement and support. I appreciate it more than you know.
    God bless you all,
    Doni
  • bernadinep71
    Options
    That is excellent advice. Plus if you chew on something crunchy you may see her lips moving but not be able to hear her....

I'm joking...

My mother drove me nuts sometimes too...but I would give the world to have her back. My mom passed away in 2000 and ive missed her terribly.

What about a distraction like playing cards or checkers? Would that occupy her?
  • danne32339
    Options
    The suggestion of cards or puzzles are great and I'm sure under most circumstances would work well but my mom has had several mini strokes and is unable to do some of those things. I am feeling much better because of all of the support. It is very much appreciated.
    God bless,
    Doni
  • Peggb
    Peggb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Water, carrot sticks, bell pepper slices, air popped popcorn and lots of patience! I do the same as you - stress is a killer and drives me to munch at times! I am trying really hard to control it as best as possible
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    talk to your mom, because she might not be here tomorrow.
    I'd give anything to be able to talk to my mom one more time.
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with my mother in law. I clean, read, or we watch a tv show together. Also she loves to play slots so we go to the penny machines. Also, I cook for her so that way I don't have fried food. Love her to death but I know she is lonely. (Drives my hubby crazy). I just listen and nod and smile:)