i work out my whole upper body on the same day

Options
is this a good idea for jus starting out...if so why and if not why not

Replies

• Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    i dont see why not - i do the same thing - but i have no idea what i'm doing hahaha
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i think it's okay, i tend to do the same thing. just make sure to do lower body only the next day to give your upper body time to recover.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    well i do my whole entire body at the same time? is that bad?? i would rather go to the gym 3x a week than 5 or 6 times.
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    well i try to do it every other day
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just do what my trainer tells me to do. While we use our upper and lower bodies the same day, he will use one more than the other. Like today, we did push-press (upper body/legs), rowing (legs/back), pull ups, and dumb bell cleans (legs).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    that's fine, really. Maek sure you do legs that day too. Every (workout day) is leg day for a beginner.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with it in theory. Without knowing the actual routine it's impossible to say if what you're doing is a good idea or not. I am assuming that you work your whole *lower body* and abs on a different day, right? Please tell me you aren't neglecting your legs. If you're trying to make changes to your physique, that's where you're going to get the most bang for your buck.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Full body is fine, just not on consecutive days. Same with upper/lower splits, just alternate upper and lower, and don't work the same half of the body back to back.
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    yea i do my legs on the next day but i dont workout my abs,,why u ask?...i have no idea i just dont
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you have just started, I would suggest full body workouts 3 times a week for strength training, leaving at least a full rest day in between.

ETA: splits are fine though, especially if you are pushed for time at the gym
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yea i do my legs on the next day but i dont workout my abs,,why u ask?...i have no idea i just dont

You don't have to do your abs at all. Just asking because a typical split is chest/back/arms and legs/shoulders/abs. I was asking more about if you're doing legs too. Your post was unclear. It could have been, "I do all upper body on Monday.....and then I don't come back till next monday and do it all again."

As long as you're getting some proper leg work in, life is good.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i do full body 3x per week it is best for strength, for some people with certain cutting/bulking routines a split is helpful. But it is harder to build strength as efficiently IMO
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    lol oh ok mybad...im just more focused on upper body so thats what i put
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    thx for all the input guys nice to know thats 1 thing im not doin wrong lol
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

do you work your lower back?