How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I try not to weigh myself too often because I tend to get discouraged. I have a friend that weighs herself every single day. I was just wondering how often everyone else confronts that dreaded scale.

Replies

• Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    as little as humanly possible :)

once a week..unless I'm trying new things to switch it up...then I wait a couple weeks.

I've gone thru a lot of scales by throwing them at the wall...or ....shot gun firing...
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher. I like to see the fluctuations that happen - not only does it help me make sense of how my body deals with things (too much sodium, a new/intense workout, that dreaded TOM) and makes me less likely to freak out but it helps me keep perspective.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I threw mine away a long time ago BUT my job recently put in a "fitness" cubicle and there is a scale in there. :( It calls my name every time I walk down the hall.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    Once a week. I don't own a scale, because I know I would be obsessed with checking it constantly lol. I weigh myself at the gym just before my Wednesday work-out.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher. I like to see the fluctuations that happen - not only does it help me make sense of how my body deals with things (too much sodium, a new/intense workout, that dreaded TOM) and makes me less likely to freak out but it helps me keep perspective.

Me too.
  • 13lou13lou
    13lou13lou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Once a day. usually at night.
  • lj4n
    lj4n Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Sunday morning, but if I forget........I wait until next week!!! Having clothes get baggy makes me feel better than "the number".
  • swashburn3
    swashburn3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing when I get out of bed.
  • owndbycatz
    owndbycatz Posts: 90 Member
    Options

^ This is exactly the same for me. I like to weigh every day and for much the same reasons.

I expect to see fluctuations; rarely is my loss a straight linear progression. But I've gotten to know the way it generally behaves -- after a drop, up a bit, then hovers just a bit above the most recent low, then drops again -- so I can see if I'm off track and can keep on the right path. Besides, I can stand not seeing a drop for over a week when I'm watching it daily, but if I was limiting myself to only once a week and my weekly weigh-in showed no change, I'd be disappointed. Just a different psychological impact for me.

People have told me I shouldn't weigh daily, but it's working just fine for me.
  • MJH5773
    MJH5773 Posts: 70
    Options
    Once a week is best for me and its every Friday. I have Friday and Saturday off at my job so it makes it fun to see how I have progressed through the work week.
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I like to see whats going on even though i know it can be in flux sometimes. But for the most part it is always going down.
  • eclectikchic
    eclectikchic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    once a week for me. only on Wednesdays.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    once a wk.. a friday... sometimes a tuesday also.. if i "feel" like ive lost.. LOL
    but I think healthy and for tracking reasons once a wk is good
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, after using the bathroom, and graph the weight (and for the ladies, I make a note when I started my period so I can see the weight before/during/after). It allows me to see the trend, and it's very obvious whether I'm losing weight or not.

I'd be really annoyed if a weight fluctuation made it look like I hadn't lost any weight. I expect my weight to fluctuate 1-2 pounds (though it RARELY does) based on one bad day of salty food, and 2-3 pounds right before/during my period. It'd be SUPER discouraging to see that I hadn't lost on a weigh in day because of a fluctuation.

Plus, I figure I'm not going to be "fluctuating" down. The lower number is the most accurate in my head, and anything 1-3 pounds above it is salt/other factors. Because I know I haven't been eating badly...
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Sunday morning, but if I forget........I wait until next week!!! Having clothes get baggy makes me feel better than "the number".

bumbp ^^^ good point.. especialy when u can loose INCHES vs pounds at times... one of my 'friends' on here lost no wt for a cpl weeks.. but did overall measurment.. and lost 9 INCHES in 2wks!!!!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I wake up and every night before I go to bed.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options

bumbp ^^^ good point.. especialy when u can loose INCHES vs pounds at times... one of my 'friends' on here lost no wt for a cpl weeks.. but did overall measurment.. and lost 9 INCHES in 2wks!!!!

Just gonna' say, that happened to me! I lost NO weight for 3 weeks, but ended up losing 10 inches!
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    about once a week, when I go to my stepmom's because I don't have a scale. If I question that weight though, I will wait awhile until I pee/etc and then do it again:)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    every single day sometimes multiple times. I know some things cause the weight to be off but when it is bad it makes me more determined to have a good day. I weigh myself first thing in the morning before I even take a sip of water, so it is as accurate as possible and then at other points of the day when my will power is weak. My hubby does it once a week and he is often sad when it doesn't go down and then has to wait a whole week to check it again. Everyone is different but the # makes me want to do better.
  • Jozie_
    Jozie_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Every day, I fluctuate a lot! I can be anywhere from 119 to 123 without having actually gained or lost body fat. As long as I'm around 120 I'm happy, I try to go more on how I 'feel' fitness wise