Osteoarthritis at 21 years old.

Options
Hey everyone! I have not been on in a while. For the most part, I have been trying to put on some healthy muscle. Well, last week I tried standing up from my desk and went straight to the floor. Long story short, I got several back X-Rays and got some bad news. My doctor told me I have the earliest stage of Osteoarthritis. I'M 21!!! I was really shattered. Pretty much been laying around and eating frozen yogurt. Could use a little motivation.

Replies

• melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That sucks! I had advanced osteoarthritis in both knees. Good news is as I have lost weight and started taking glucosamine my symptoms have subsided and X-rays show that it has actually reversed. My doctors are shocked. There is hope! :-)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Sorry to hear the news. Has the doctor put you on any medications yet? Are you taking calcium & vitamin D?
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    I was taking a multi and a joint supplement already. Now I am taking Calcium + D and high dosage Omega 3 to reduce inflammation. I also bought some more Alkaline bottled water and Alkaline coffee from starbucks. I heard that helps.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm interesting on the alkaline bit... I drink ACV in my water now.. Wonder if that has helped?
  • newmein2013
    Options
    How much calcium & D? I would think the doctor would have prescribed something for you as well as telling you to take a certain dosage of these two. Did you have a bone density test?
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    I'm taking approximately 200-300% DV of calcium and 1000-1500% DV of Vitamin D. No bone density test. I'm going to get a big enough bill for the xrays. He made a recommendation for the Cal+D. That's about it.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    I'm not sure what the doses should be. I had a vitamin d deficiency & I was taking 2000 IU daily for about 2 years. I finally just lowered it to 1000 IU. I have osteoarthritis in my back & it actually kept me out of work for a few days last year. I was taking percocet & naproxen and was basically bedridden for days. I hardly have any pain now though. The exercise has helped tremendously. And stretching every single day when I first wake up, even for just 2-3 minutes. My body knows if I didn't strectch.
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    My doctor gave me Vicodin, Medicated patches, and a 5 day oral steroid to take for a few days when it crippled me. It is back to normal now. I'm just glad I don't need pain medication for the rest of my life. I would end up dying of liver failure.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    You're definitely on the right track. Just keep doing what you're doing and make your workouts a priority. They're sure to make your life less painful. But remember, both aerobic exercise & strength training are important. If you haven't already, do some research on osteoarthritis to see if there's anything else you can do to help.
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    Thanks. I feel a lot better now!
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ouch.

have you tried cherry juice? I'm on 'cherryactive' for my gout, and it does seem to be working - it's cheaper than 'proper' pills too! Dont know what brands are available in the US but could be worth a try?
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    your on the right track for cal & vit D... double check to see you are taking on sufficient Calcium though

Also I am sure you know weight training helps strengthen bone density... keep it up :)