Strength Training At Home??

2»

Replies

• kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    I've never belonged to a gym. I've only ever ran outside and lifted free weights at home. I think the total investment was $50.

However, if you are looking to tone I would do something like Jillian's 30 Day Shred. You can search the forums for results. You can use water bottles for weights for just starting out, or get a couple 5 lb hand weights from Target for cheap. The DVD is $9-10 but it's like having a personal trainer in your living room. Each workout is only 20 minutes, too. I've done a couple of her DVDs and had great results.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Thanks for posting this. I've also been wondering this. I don't know why I didn't ask myself lol. Lots of great insight. :smile:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    I try to separate my home and where I work out personally. My effort seems to be better around people. Then again when I started working out I did it from home. Bunch of people in this website had success from home workouts.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    I have two 5 pound weights, 10 pound kettleball, and lots of videos. I mainly use Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and the other one with kettleball. Zumba is great to do at home as well. I still go to the gym, but workout at home when I can't get motivated to go. Best of luck!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    It's OK to do this but I don't think there is any need to get a bunch of dumbells,bench and especially barbells for home use. I have had all of that and sold it. You need to know how to do body weight stuff but I also use a chin up bar, TRX, 1 60 pound kettlebell, 1 120 pound sandbag (3 40 pound bags inside it so I can adjust) and I'm in better shape with this than all of the space consuming weights I had before.

This is true enlightenment, although TRX needs an instructor to get max benefit. Resistance bands cheap and full of variety and of course resistance from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds.

Also, a GYMBOSS interval timer to maximise HIIT and period training as opposed to rep counting.

Yes, I have a GYMBOSS and love it. I wish they were built a bit more sturdy though.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Try body rock! I've being doing it since May and getting stronger all the time : )

http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • It's OK to do this but I don't think there is any need to get a bunch of dumbells,bench and especially barbells for home use. I have had all of that and sold it. You need to know how to do body weight stuff but I also use a chin up bar, TRX, 1 60 pound kettlebell, 1 120 pound sandbag (3 40 pound bags inside it so I can adjust) and I'm in better shape with this than all of the space consuming weights I had before.

This is true enlightenment, although TRX needs an instructor to get max benefit. Resistance bands cheap and full of variety and of course resistance from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds.

Also, a GYMBOSS interval timer to maximise HIIT and period training as opposed to rep counting.

Yes, I have a GYMBOSS and love it. I wish they were built a bit more sturdy though.

Had mine for awhile, fingers crossed no problem but you are correct they could charge a bit more and create a ruggedized version. I got the wristband and this has probably prevented dropping and other problems.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    There are lots of great body weight exercises you can do at home. They include things like pushups, situps, dips and heaps more. Best thing is they can all be modified to make them easier & harder depending on your starting point.

Check out this workout. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    I had been wondering the same thing. Now, where would you suggest a total newbie start out? I am 5 ft 8 in and 295. I have been doing cardio work but no strength training. Also, what type of schedule would you suggest. I do some cardio most days and want to add in the strength training in additon.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    I am not a trainer, so take this for what it's worth. Focus on exercises that use multiple muscle groups. You can start with dumbells if you prefer. Get a good book such as starting strength or new rules of lifting for women and learn.

At a minimum, shoulder press, squat, pushups (girl pushups are fine), and "simulated pull-ups" with exercise bands (if unable to do pull-ups). Can substitute one-armed dumbbell rows for pull-ups.

If you have access to a bench you can do bench press instead of pushups (dumbell or barbell).

Add additional exercises as time, fitness, and equipment allow. Pick a weight you can only complete 8-10 reps with using good form. As you get stronger and can do more reps, add more weight. Three sets of each exercise three times per week is a good starting point.

Best of luck with your goals.
  • nealcrz
    nealcrz Posts: 2
    Ive got Perfect Multigym to work out at home on strength. I heard Iron gym is cheaper..
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Bumping to read later :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    With a decent set of adjustable dumbbells, a weight bench and a doorway pull-up bar, you can do literally thousands of strength training exercises. As long as the dumbbells provide enough weight to allow progression (using more weight as you're able), you could build an impressive body with nothing else. There are endless variations of both compound and isolation exercises you can do with dumbbells.

Then again, you could even use a bodyweight program such as You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning and get very good results with minimal/no equipment.
  • annclem
    annclem Posts: 2 Member
    Bump
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    I've never belonged to a gym. I've only ever ran outside and lifted free weights at home. I think the total investment was $50.

However, if you are looking to tone I would do something like Jillian's 30 Day Shred. You can search the forums for results. You can use water bottles for weights for just starting out, or get a couple 5 lb hand weights from Target for cheap. The DVD is $9-10 but it's like having a personal trainer in your living room. Each workout is only 20 minutes, too. I've done a couple of her DVDs and had great results.

Me too :) I run outside, go for bikerides and roll around on my living room floor working my abs. The 30 day shred is great, and you don't even have to buy the dvd - it's all on youtube.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Bump to follow
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Resistance bands! I've just got some decent and they really can give a good workout. Relatively cheap (about the price of one month's gym membership for a good set) and great for the home as they don't weigh much or take up much space. Tons of workout videos online. Mine are Elastitone (from the UK). Bodylastics are supposed to be good too.

Combine with body weight exercises for an all over workout.

Also get a pull-up bar for a door frame for increasing upper body strength.