Anyone heard of Body Flex or Isobreathing?

Options
Please don't rip me a new one for this question BUT I just recently injured my knee really bad and cannot do the typical jumping and squatting that is in aerobics. My doctor actually suggested looking into Body Flex by Greer Childers or Isobreathing by Ellen Miller. They combine "aerobic" breathing with isometric exercises from the way I understand it. Has anyone done either of these and still drop weight and/or inches? The doctor told me that a lot of people that have joint injuries or are extremely overweight do a program like these to drop weight and then move on to "regular" aerobic programs.

Replies

• panthra
    panthra Posts: 32
    Options
    bump
  • hayleyshmayley
    Options
    bump
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard of those. You might check out DDP Yoga. Kind of the same principle it sounds like. People with joint/back issues reave about it. I am just started it just to reduce the pounding on my knees.
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Also look into Tai Chi and CHi Qong
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it, but my best guess is if your doctor recommended it it's worth a shot.
  • panthra
    Options
    ok Thanks for the input. I am still researching it
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Only on the infommercial with Greer Childs. :) I wonder if it works?
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If this guy can do DDP yoga, so can you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

(Worth the watch)
  • carbail
    carbail Posts: 13
    Options
    I did Body Flex many years ago..I don't remember losing much weight but I did lose inches, especially from my waist/abs. But I only lost at first then platued real fast. I think it is worth a try if you want something to do while you recover.
  • panthra
    Options
    Thank you for replying about Body Flex. I do appreciate your input. I think I will give it a try even though I found a video on you tube that looked ridiculous but I really need to drop at least 30 pounds and get stronger because I know that it will help my knees. It looks way too easy though so there must be a trick to the breathing. I wil let you all know how it goes after a week
  • Isobreathing
    Options
    I saw your post and wNted to respond. IsoBreathing is known as the Kindergarten of exercise. Everyone needs a place to start. If you go to the IsoBreathing website and click on Energize with Ellen it will give you a better idea of what the program is about. I am here to help those who want to be helped. Please understand that this program is not for everyone. It is a starting point.
    Ellen
  • ourmaybebe
    ourmaybebe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just started doing it again two days ago! In the past I did it and lost 14 1/2 inches the first week and then 9 inches the next week. I was much younger then so I am not expecting those results this week but I know from experience that it works. I just had a baby in May and have been having a really hard time getting the weight off. If this doesnt work for me this time maybe my body has just changed.
  • pamhoffca
    pamhoffca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have done Greer Childers Body Flex before. These are the only VCR tapes I don't "donate" or get rid of. I really like the breathing method she teaches and how you suck your abdomen in to tighten your stomach. I have found no other exercise that gives the same effect/results. It's is truly hillareous to watch with her 80's hair and clothes, and the breathing method is loud, so I got a lot of laughs and jokes from the family. I would try to do it when I was alone to avoid the comments....lol.

With that said, I fall off the wagon with this do at home tape - along with my eating and general exercise. I just look back and think, if I had only kept it up, what kind of figure would I have now???

Time to dust it off and give it a go again. My belly sure could use it!!
  • monicat2012
    monicat2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used Bodyflex about 10 years ago, and started to have results after a couple weeks. I went down a size in jeans and felt great. Then I got a bad case of the flu and had a cough for about 2 months. Can't do this type of breathing with a cough. I did pick it up again a few months later, but didn't have any loss. I had alot more energy when I do the breathing exercises. I still use the breathing for energy and have also found that it helps lower my blood pressure.
  • amberkdunham
    Options
    I have done body flex for years and lost a lot of inches and a lot of weight thoughout the duration of having 4 kids. I would recommend it to anyone!
  • RobinLynx
    RobinLynx Posts: 60
    Options
    Yes! It works, & it is great for when you've been inactive/injured. It will painlessly get you back into exercising. I bought a used hardcover book from good ol' amazon for very little, & I use the breathing on a couple of kinds of other exercises (that I can do with bad spine--Callanetics, 4 Old School weight training exercises so far).

Glad to see others using it too