Anyone else with COPD (Emphysema) or leg disablement?

Options
Hi,
I'm just wondering if there is anyone else with mfp who has emphysema or who has walking difficulties because of leg disablement.

Rick:drinker:

Replies

• johnnyg211
    Options
    i have cerebal palsey
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying. I assume you have to take medication for your condition. Does it impact on your weight? And what about exercise. Are you able to walk/run for a good long distance?. I take steroids which greatly assist weight gain and my walking is so pathetic! I've no movement in my left ankle and not much in my right knee so I can't actually complete a normal step; it has to be a shuffle and limp. Anyway, I've now got arthritis in my ankle so walking is really painful when it bears my weight. How do you cope?

• fancydad
    fancydad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you might want to try an elliptical trainer. I had a partial rupture in my achilles heel, which has made me a little gun shy in the jogging department. I find that the elliptical workout gets me where i want to be without the heavy impact.
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Rick I have severe lung scarring for a stint in the hosp with H1n1 andSARS also left me with drop foot on the left foot and nerve damage, so when I walk for a bit my foot feels like it is asleep and gets real heavy. also I get winded super easy, makes it difficult to exercise much, I seen one person talk of an elliptical and that is on my shopping list lol, I loved being on it in rehab.
  • rickthexpreacher
    Options
    Hi Fancydad,
    Thanks for making contact. I have to do all my exercise at the gym and they have 3 types of elliptical. 2 of them require the foot to simulate the movement it would do when running. My ankle has no up and down movement so I can't do that at all. They've got another called the Wave which pushes the foot out sideways and down and I can handle that. Not well, not fast and, boy, is it good for calorie burn! Went on it today after 3 months off sick and the sweat was pouring off. trouble.
  • rickthexpreacher
    Options
    Hi Grinb,
    Thanks for touching base with me. Jeez, you must have had ace doctors -they are seriously horrible illnesses. At least with my COPD, I can't blame anyone except myself. 40 years of smoking cigarettes of every make and hue gave me much pleasure to go with the addiction. Ok,during that time my breath smelt evil, so did my clothes, my teeth were stained and wherever I smoked I polluted the air. Now I play the arch hypocrite very well by complaining to supermarkets that they allow smoking outside the entrances which is socially unacceptable!!!
    With the elliptical, try ebay. They usually have some. I incorporate 5-10 minutes on a model called Wave in my gym program-did so today for the first visit in 3 months due to illness- and the sweat poured off me. I expect you're like me in this respect- the lungs will only allow about 5 minutes low intensity before demanding a break.

Rick
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    i don't take any meds, but i can not run/walk long...i use the bikes at the gym for my cardio (i just started) 10mins a day to start and im going to increase the time after every 7days....tomorrow im goin to add leg weight lifting to my routine
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying. I assume you have to take medication for your condition. Does it impact on your weight? And what about exercise. Are you able to walk/run for a good long distance?. I take steroids which greatly assist weight gain and my walking is so pathetic! I've no movement in my left ankle and not much in my right knee so I can't actually complete a normal step; it has to be a shuffle and limp. Anyway, I've now got arthritis in my ankle so walking is really painful when it bears my weight. How do you cope?