sodium

Options
I ate way over on my sodium yesterday wondering if that is why my weight did not move this week. I going to keep eye on it says on here I am allowed 2500 mg sodium is that high though?

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I ate way over on my sodium yesterday wondering if that is why my weight did not move this week. I going to keep eye on it says on here I am allowed 2500 mg sodium is that high though?

your body does need some sodium, i don't know the exact amount, but it needs 1000+ or something to function properly.

if you ever go over just drink lots of water :)
  • sweetgl
    sweetgl Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    2500 mgs is way to high. You should aim more for 1500! :smile: and yes that could be why you didnt gain loss weight if you have been eating high sodium food.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have a sodium problem and have been struggling with my weight the last 2 weeks. I dread to think how far over I'd be if I was still drinking soda pop!
    I've been guzzling about 90 oz of water a day, and it helps. I just struggle keeping my sodium under my MFP limit.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your recommended sodium limit at 2500 mg/day. This is on the high-end of the acceptable range according to most medical organizations, though still less than most Americans eat every day.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284) says about sodium levels:

"Various organizations, including the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine, have published recommendations on daily sodium limits. Most recommend not exceeding the range of 1,500 and 2,400 milligrams (mg) a day for healthy adults. Keep in mind that the lower your sodium, the more beneficial effect on blood pressure.

If you are older than 50, are black or have a health condition such as high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease or diabetes, you may be more sensitive to the blood pressure raising effects of sodium. As a result, aim for a sodium limit at the low end of the range recommended for healthy adults. Talk to your doctor about the sodium limit that's best for you."

I struggled with this at first - I would recommend you figure out exactly what foods you are eating that drives your high sodium and look for low-sodium alternatives. I'm at the point now where I rarely go over - I had to find a new type of bread, (especially english muffins!), cheese and lunchmeat to eat because those were the main culprits in my diet before I started paying attention.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

I see you're in Colorado Springs. So I'm sure you're familiar with CSU. Here's an article that does a good job of describing sodium requirements written by a CSU professor. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09354.html.

Quoting from it:

"Under ideal conditions, the minimum sodium requirement is about 1,500 milligrams (mg) of sodium each day. This is less than 1 teaspoon of table salt. The maximum recommended level of sodium intake is 2,300 mg per day. On average, American men consume between 3,100 and 4,700 mg of sodium per day, while women consume between 2,300 and 3,100 mg (due to their lower calorie intake, not because of restricting sodium)."

It goes on to describe the effects of sodium on blood pressure and a lot more. Hope this helps.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone I going to keep eye on my sodium intake this coming week and see if that helps with the weight loss
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just noticed that my sodium has been high and I wonder if that is part of my problem as well.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    My weight is ALWAYS up after a high sodium day. I changed my goals to keep under 2000 mg of sodium a day and track that on my food diary. That one's a struggle for me... but it's getting easier. And with more whole natural foods, you get to where processed/convenience foods taste REALLY salty and you don't want them as much.
  • kzalusky360
    Options
    in your opinions....do the foods listed in the MFP database have accurate sodium contents? I added Fiber to my list of things that I keep track of and I have noticed that not all foods include a number for fiber.

just wondering... :)
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Some foods don't have any fiber. :laugh: But yeah, there's a lot of misinformation or incomplete information on here, but if you go with the entry with the most confirmations, it's usually accurate. Or you can check it here --> http://www.nutritiondata.com/
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Some foods don't have any fiber. :laugh: But yeah, there's a lot of misinformation or incomplete information on here, but if you go with the entry with the most confirmations, it's usually accurate. Or you can check it here --> http://www.nutritiondata.com/
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but I started keeping a close eye on my sodium intake (I was getting 2 and 3 times what MFP recommended!:noway: ) After a couple weeks or so of watching it, I lost SEVEN pounds in one week!:noway: (In conjunction with the eating my calories and exercizing.) Amazing, but apparently I was retaining a lot of water because of all the sodium. I don't guarantee any weightloss from watching your sodium, but it helped me. Even if you don't lose weight by keeping it under, at least you will be helping out your :heart:!

Good luck!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I looked at yor food diary and noticed you eat a lot of prepared foods. Those lean cuisines and things liek that have a ton of sodium.

For lunch I have a baggie of fresh veggies with a tablespoon of hummus and 3 oz of chicken that I cooked and it is the same calories as a lean cuisine with a lot less sodium.

Try eating more fresh foods and less prepared meals
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    thanks for advice I will start trying that I have tons of chicken here lol I will make that my goal for tommorrow :)