Soy, Rice, or Almond Milk: Which is the Best Alternative?

Options

Replies

• RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    almond!!!! tastes the best too :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't touch anything with soy. It's been passed off as something healthy and I do not agree. I don't touch rice milk either, similar reasoning. I do have plain unsweetened almond milk occasionally.

However, I have coconut milk most often. I still do have full fat dairy, but in Canada, it's not allowed to have growth hormones in our milk (not that it's safe or healthy by any means!). However, I do have Mercola whey protein every week day. It's minimally processed and from grass fed cows. I think quality matters a lot.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Pretty much coconut milik products here, dairy and I don't get along and most of the others I really don't care for the aftertaste.
  • AnneM69
    AnneM69 Posts: 30
    Options
    I tried rice milk but the brand I tried had a really bitter end taste, and I couldn't drink it without flavoring which wiped out most of the health benefits. I'm going to get some oat and almond milk next pay day and try those, but all the almond milks I've seen has really low levels of calcium and even the oat milk wasn't much better.
    I've tried soy milk as well and I didn't like it, and hemp seed food isn't available here
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for unprocessed stuff, there really isn't a good alternative. Cow's milk isn't overly processed, mostly just pasturized if you get organic.

However, I avoid soy milk (although I do eat soy in other products). It contains hormones that can mess with a female's ability to get pregnant.

I like Almond milk they add calcium to it, so they can say it has more than cow's milk. I'm not sure how well the human body absorbs calcium that has been added to foods, but as long as you have a balanced diet, it shouldn't matter.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is fairly low on protein and calcium, so if you are using it instead of dairy milk, I would make sure that you get enogh of these nutrients from other sources.

This is not correct - it has 50% MORE calcium than dairy milk. I personally drink the unsweet vanilla although if I could have the sugar, I would drink the sweetened vanilla. I LOVE almond milk. It is also low in carbs and calories. It IS lower in protein than dairy milk though.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is fairly low on protein and calcium, so if you are using it instead of dairy milk, I would make sure that you get enogh of these nutrients from other sources.

Not true. Almond milk is a GREAT source of calcium. Much better than cow's milk.

Jon (OP), you don't need to worry about getting protein from your milk. You're getting plenty from other sources. The small amounts in your milk source are just icing on the cake :)
    For those who cannot consume cow's milk due to allergy or intolerance, almond milk serves as a safe alternative source of protein, calcium and vitamin D. If you can drink milk but desire an alternative, consider these factors in your comparison. Milk contains cholesterol, a type of lipid that increases your risk for heart disease. Almond milk does not. Milk contains a significant amount of fat, including saturated fat that also contributes to high blood cholesterol levels, depending on the type of milk you choose. Almond milk contains 2.5 g of fat with no saturated fat. Each 8 oz. serving of almond milk contains approximately 60 calories while the same serving size of 2 percent dairy milk contains approximately 140 calories per serving. Although cow's milk contains 10 g of protein per cup, the health advantages of almond milk may outweigh the fact that it contains less protein.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/461857-almond-milk-protein/#ixzz24TSZLwzs

The calcium in almond milk is added. The vitamin d is added to both cows milk nad almond milk. The fat comparison isn't really valid. You can get fat free cows milk. Likewise, your calorie comparison is off. You can get almond milk with as little as 35 calories per cup. Skim cows milk is about 80 calories per cup.

I like almond milk, but there is really no reason to forego cows milk unless you don't like it or are lactose intolerant. It is a good source of protein and dairy calcium has a lot of health benefits that they haven't been able to recreate in calcium additives.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    First of all, there are no dangers to drinking pasteurized organic milk. I agree with the warnings against soy milk in the better safe than sorry sense though, especially since soymilk is gross anyway. Almond milk is pretty tasty. So is hemp seed milk.

There's also no benefit to drinking pasteurized milk, no matter what kind it is. Pasteurizing kills the good stuff. With how commercial milk is gathered, trucks going farm to farm putting all the milk in one tank then processed in a plant, it has to be pasteurized unfortunately. So commercial milk sucks imo.

I live where I can't access raw milk, but if you have local farmers, and you're really nice and stay on the down low, they will probably sell you some... Say it's for your "pets". lol I used to get raw cream when I lived in Alberta, Canada. What a treat.

To those commenting that soy is safe and even "good" for us (more like ridiculing those of us that have reservations about it), keep having it, but please respect that others have a right to be informed that there may be cause for concern, then they can do their own research. Especially when so many people are giving it in large amounts to their children.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

This is not correct - it has 50% MORE calcium than dairy milk. I personally drink the unsweet vanilla although if I could have the sugar, I would drink the sweetened vanilla. I LOVE almond milk. It is also low in carbs and calories. It IS lower in protein than dairy milk though.

I think that most people drink almond milk that is fortified with calcium, so yeah it wouldn't be an issue then.

"Because calcium in almonds and rice are significantly lower compared with the previous two, milk made from these ingredients have a much lower calcium content. There are only 2 milligrams of calcium in an 8 ounce cup of plain almond milk, and less than 1 milligram is found in rice milk. Therefore, homemade or unfortified almond and rice milk should not be used to replace cows milk as a source of calcium."

And I agree that there are many other sources of protein, my point was to be mindful that alternative doesn't neccessarily mean equivalent nutrional factor.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I drink a mix (I recently bought sunflower milk to try) but soy milk is my staple. I've been adding more protein supplements to my diet since I started eating 5 meals/day so I might switch more to a balanced almond/soy mix but I don't have a problem with soy. Even guys shouldn't have a problem with soy (the studies indicate that there is no affect on testosterone and it may even slightly increase testosterone in guys).
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    First of all, there are no dangers to drinking pasteurized organic milk. I agree with the warnings against soy milk in the better safe than sorry sense though, especially since soymilk is gross anyway. Almond milk is pretty tasty. So is hemp seed milk.

There's also no benefit to drinking pasteurized milk, no matter what kind it is. .......

For you, the benefits are outweighed by what you (and others) believe to be detrimental to health but to say there is no benefit is rather untrue; milk does contain calcium, protein, postassium, and calories among other nutrients.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

There's also no benefit to drinking pasteurized milk, no matter what kind it is.

That's a pretty bold statement to make. It's also not even remotely true.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in my coffee but i dont like it plain. The only time i drink soy milk is when i am out and want to order coffee than a place like starbucks offers soy milk. I wish more places would offer milk alternatives.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I drink soy. It has protein.

I have read all the info about estrogen, and wonder how the many men around the world who eat tofu daily don't gain breasts?

dunno. Not disagreeing with anyone's decision, just pondering how much soy is eaten by asians in so many forms....
    This always comes to my mind also. But you have to also think about the fact that they've eaten soy for a really long time. Just as many africans are lactose intolorant, asians might just be better at eating soy. I'm sure there's a better way I could have said that haha.

But it's an argument that's definitely got two sides .
    That's a great point. And, because so much soy is GM, you DO have to be careful. All of my soy products are organic and labeled that they are NOT genetically modified.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What dangers have you heard? I am not aware of any from credible sources. Some people are lactose intolerant and need to avoid it, but other than that, what is wrong with it?

ETA: pasteurization does not 'kill' off the nutrients.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

There's also no benefit to drinking pasteurized milk, no matter what kind it is. .......

For you, the benefits are outweighed by what you (and others) believe to be detrimental to health but to say there is no benefit is rather untrue; milk does contain calcium, protein, postassium, and calories among other nutrients.

You missed the part that I said there are benefits in consuming RAW milk. Firstly, adult mammals weren't intended to consume milk, it's for baby animals; secondly it's questionable how much calcium is actually absorbed; thirdly, all those nutrients can be gained from other healthy foods.

I'm providing my opinion, based on research and personal experience. If you think commercial, pasteurized milk is healthy, keep having it. I have a right to share my concerns and others don't have to agree.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just for what it's worth, even though there are potentially estrogenic effects of soy, this is still a matter of dosage. I don't think men need to run away from soy for fear that they'll grow boobs.

I probably wouldn't choose it as my main source of protein, but I also don't think it's necessary to avoid it entirely.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
    and I'd be worried about the bovine growth hormones in standard cow's milk as well...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Firstly, adult mammals weren't intended to consume milk, it's for baby animals; secondly it's questionable how much calcium is actually absorbed; thirdly, all those nutrients can be gained from other healthy foods.

What do you mean by "adult mammals weren't intended to consume milk"? Who determines these intentions?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Just for what it's worth, even though there are potentially estrogenic effects of soy, this is still a matter of dosage. I don't think men need to run away from soy for fear that they'll grow boobs.

I probably wouldn't choose it as my main source of protein, but I also don't think it's necessary to avoid it entirely.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
    and I'd be worried about the bovine growth hormones in standard cow's milk as well...

I wouldn't as this is also a matter of dosage/context. But, if you've got research on this I'd be happy to take a look.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    You missed the part that I said there are benefits in consuming RAW milk.

You missed the part where you said that pasteurized milk offers no benefit. Do you believe that there are zero nutrients in it? What about calories? What about fat? Are you honestly claiming that your body doesn't utilize ANY of it?
    Firstly, adult mammals weren't intended to consume milk, it's for baby animals; secondly it's questionable how much calcium is actually absorbed; thirdly, all those nutrients can be gained from other healthy foods.

None of the above has anything to do with your claim that pasteurized milk offers no benefit.
    I'm providing my opinion, based on research and personal experience. If you think commercial, pasteurized milk is healthy, keep having it. I have a right to share my concerns and others don't have to agree.

Of course you can share your opinion, as can we.