Today's Teen vs. Teen 20 years ago

Options

Replies

• mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol at college
    Yeah I don't think that's a thing of the past, sweetie.

True that!
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I must have had a really weird childhood! I experienced almost all of those things and I ended my teen years about a month and a half ago. Can I use that as my excuse as to why I was so chronically unpopular?
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Family dinners at the dinner table.

There are actually people who still do this believe it or not.

We sit at the dinner table together every night.

This is a rule in our house. Such a rule that we now wait until 7:30-8:00 pm at night to eat since my son has CC practice until that time. I refuse to give it up! It's the only time we have to learn about what happened that day!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I remember when you used to call someone, if they weren't home...you were screwed, no way to reach them at all. That's hard to believe now!

You wonder if these kids would even understand half of the pop music that was written about not being able to reach your beloved on the phone.

"Telephone Line", "Operator", etc.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Leg warmers. Rewinding VHS tapes. Failing at something.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Dial-up?! GOD THAT WAS SO SLOW! I remember sitting at a friends house and having to input all the information...then wait for the dial tone then the connection...it took like 5-7 minutes to get connected!
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    RESPECT!!!

So true! So many kids nowadays have no respect for themselves or for their elders.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Hate to tell you this, but Leg Warmers are back. Saw them the other day at Justice for Girls. I looked at my husband and said, "Did we not learn the first time?" LOL!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Driving a tank to school instead of a cute, sporty car? Listening to good music... which had to be done with a boom box on the rear window because cars only had AM radios? Now, there IS no good music. Unless it is before 1995.

The current lack of respect for their elders, lack of parenting by others?
    Instead of "Yes, Mrs. ----," "No ma'am."
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Window crank handles in the car?
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Having to actually answer the phone to find out who is calling. No caller ID
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Learning the Pascal computer language

We learned Pascal in my high school for the better part of last year. No period has gone by without me sending a bunch of profanities to whoever the hell invented it.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options

Hate to tell you this, but Leg Warmers are back. Saw them the other day at Justice for Girls. I looked at my husband and said, "Did we not learn the first time?" LOL!

No! No! Say it ain't so! :noway:
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Family dinners at the dinner table.

There are actually people who still do this believe it or not.

We sit at the dinner table together every night.

This is a rule in our house. Such a rule that we now wait until 7:30-8:00 pm at night to eat since my son has CC practice until that time. I refuse to give it up! It's the only time we have to learn about what happened that day!

My hubby usually doesn't get home until almost 8pm from work, so we have dinner together once he gets home. Try to make that happen everyday. Sometimes it is just impossible - whether he is out of town or doesn't get home until 10 or later, then the kids and I will eat together without him.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I can think of SO much, but it goes further back than 20 years.

Atari is one thing, LOL.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Waiting for hours for your favourite song to come on the radio just so you can frantically hit *RECORD* on your ca-ssette tape.

The way you wrote "ca-ssette" makes me think you listen to the Rod Ryan show.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Sitting in front of the stereo with a blank tape set to record but paused while listening to your favorite radio station waiting for a song to come on that you want to record.

Also, Rico Suave.

^^^^Hahahaha. I remember doing this. They always turned out super fuzzy too.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    No call waiting either. You call someone and they are on the phone, you get a busy signal.
  • RedwoodsIris
    RedwoodsIris Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well this is no fun if we don't get the right answer ;~(
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I went to Catholic school and we were allowed to take smoke breaks in high school! I didn't smoke, but who DOESN'T want to sit outside for 15 min.