How many calories will I burn doing ________?

Options
2»

Replies

• ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Are the small machines that only measure the heart rate better than the ones that do calorie counting, too?
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    I see it on the threads all the time...someone says I'm doing C25K or Zumba or Running backwards up stairs for a half hour or whatever and they don't know how to log it because they don't see it in the database.

Do yourself a favor, GET A HEART RATE MONITOR WITH A CHEST STRAP such as the Polar FT4 or FT7. Expect to make a $70-80 dollar investment, but it will give you a more accurate calorie burn than a generic entry in the database or a machine at the gym. Gone will be the days of searching the database for something that you may or may not find or numbers that may or may not apply to you.

Imagine the freedom of creating custom exercises using your HRM numbers and getting the most accurate burn counts that you can!

Barring an extremely tight budget, there's no reason why someone that exercises frequently and wishes to record their burns shouldn't own a reliable HRM with a chest strap. The chest strap part is important, because those HRMs give more accurate readings than versions of ones that don't have the strap.

I have a tight budget but have been looking on places like Wal-mart and also online like ebay and Amazon, but there are so many to choose from. How do you know if the cheaper ones are user friendly or even reliable? That's why I haven't bought one yet.