good sugar/bad sugar?

Options
I am trying to cut my sugar intake to a healthier amount. I have read that between 50 to 60 grams is a healthy range. I am wondering when counting sugar, do I only count "bad sugar" (ex. bread)? or should i also include "good sugar" (ex. fruit)?

Replies

• wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Everyone is a little different so you'll have to do some trial and error. Unless you're diabetic you probably don't have to worry too much. Me personally I'm generally between 60-115, it comes mostly from fruit, today from some m&ms and a mini snickers. I've lost almost 30 lbs so it's not hurting me!

If you feel like your weight loss has stalled then try cutting back on it but if you're losing I wouldn't worry!
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    sugar isn't bad or good, its just sugar. and sugar is a carb and carbs are carbs.
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    so if i am staying under my calories and working out every day it shouldn't matter about my sugar intake for weight loss?
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    bump
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut my sugar intake to a healthier amount. I have read that between 50 to 60 grams is a healthy range. I am wondering when counting sugar, do I only count "bad sugar" (ex. bread)? or should i also include "good sugar" (ex. fruit)?

there is no bad sugar or good sugar. sugar is sugar. and sugar is a great fuel for your body. unless you have a medical condition that precludes you from ingesting said goodness, you don't likely need to worry about it at all. isn't really something most need to even track. just keep an eye on carbs. they break down into sugar molecules in your body anyway.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you could eat your RMR in Twinkies, so long as you were below your TDEE and you should still lose weight. Nutritionally you'd be better off eating the box, but so long as calories in - calories out < TDEE (0.85) you should end up losing weight.

Just track it all. You can't decide to not track something because it is a 'good' food.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    so if i am staying under my calories and working out every day it shouldn't matter about my sugar intake for weight loss?

yes
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    not sure about working out every day, but nobody has shown that sugar per se will affect your weight loss other than as a contribution to carbs and calories.