Is there any point to lifting?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Alright, now that I have your attention from that troll-worthy title.

I've been researching and posting about lifting during the process of weight loss. I've been told various answers, and read various answers. Many seem to point to: it's very hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. With that partially understood, I would think the best option (at least for me, from my research) would be to focus on losing weight (I have about 20 lbs to go), then start lifting (I'm a 5'6" female, 23, who wants to go the heavy lifting route).

I've been doing strength training using my own body weight pretty frequently--should I stop this?
    Is there a point to trying to lift heavy before I've reached my initial goal weight?
    Thoughts, suggestions? Nude pics?

No!!!

Lifting while losing will help ensure that the majority of your loss comes from fat instead of fat and muscle, this way at your goal weight you will have a lower BF%.

OP, It is much easier to start now and retain what you have then it is to add new muscle latter. to lose fat all you need is a modest caloric deficit (can be diet a lone, or combo of diet and cardio) adequate protein intake and strength training to retain lean muscle. Notice in this cardio is not needed to lose fat, cardio will allow you to eat more and maintain the same deficit to lose that you can get from diet alone. Too large of a deficit can also lead to the loss of muscle.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Focusing strictly on weight loss with the intention of getting to lifting once you're smaller is like deciding to become a race car driver, saving up a ton of money to buy a rally car, but waiting to learn how to drive until after you've got the car.

This is great. I will remember and use this. Hat tip to you!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Focusing strictly on weight loss with the intention of getting to lifting once you're smaller is like deciding to become a race car driver, saving up a ton of money to buy a rally car, but waiting to learn how to drive until after you've got the car.

haha this may be true.

I lost the majority of the weight I wanted to lose before I began lifting. I was resisting for a variety of reasons (excuses). "I don't want to get all muscly/bulky. I don't want callouses on my hands. That part of the gym is for boys." etc. Well I finally cut out all that crap, and........

:heart: :love: I like it so much, and I have already seen such positive changes in my body, that I wish I had begun earlier. :love: :heart:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I seem to be 'lucky' in that I do seem to be able to, to some degree, gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, overall losing weight.
    One thing I read (which I don't think had any scientific basis, just observation) was that if you've previously had the muscle, it's easier to do this than if you've never had it.

When I was eating 1300 calories and doing long days of hard work (heavy lifting, carrying big things up stairs etc)I didn't really gain muscle, but I did lose a lot of weight and my strength stayed about the same.
    Since joining MFP (joined so I could up my calories a bit and track higher protein etc) I've gone from having a little muffin top on size 32 jeans to pretty much none on the size 30 shorts I got yesterday - I'd say muscles have increased a little in the same time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's a common misconception that if you can't build new muscle on a deficit, then there's no point in lifting- but the truth is you won't know the difference between gaining muscle or not while lifting on a deficit- especially if you're new to it. The common goals are increased muscle tone and firmness, increased strength, increased metabolism, increased fat loss, increased bone density, feeling bada$$, and looking hot. You can achieve ALL of those goals without packing on any NEW muscle tissue. Most people (women in particular) have all the muscle you need to achieve those goals already, and by using neuromuscular adaptation (which is the primary source of gains whether you're in a deficit or not at the beginning) you train your CNS system to use the muscle that's already there. It's win-win-win-win-win. You'll feel like you're gaining muscle whether you are or not- so what does it matter, really?

edit for typos.

^^adding a few more win-win-wins in!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Looks like things are covered well and I don't need to intervene. =)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It's a common misconception that if you can't build new muscle on a deficit, then there's no point in lifting- but the truth is you won't know the difference between gaining muscle or not while lifting on a deficit- especially if you're new to it. The common goals are increased muscle tone and firmness, increased strength, increased metabolism, increased fat loss, increased bone density, feeling bada$$, and looking hot. You can achieve ALL of those goals without packing on any NEW muscle tissue. Most people (women in particular) have all the muscle you need to achieve those goals already, and by using neuromuscular adaptation (which is the primary source of gains whether you're in a deficit or not at the beginning) you train your CNS system to use the muscle that's already there. It's win-win-win-win-win. You'll feel like you're gaining muscle whether you are or not- so what does it matter, really?

edit for typos.

^^adding a few more win-win-wins in!
    I choose to go with what they said because it made me giggle
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Looks like we need a devil's advocate here. You shouldn't lift weights on a calorie deficit. You could DIE! When you lift weights, your body preserves fat, because it's precious and essential for survival. Since you're in a calorie deficit, your body will catabolize muscle. Eventually you will turn into a fat skeleton with Lou Gehrig's disease. That's what happened to me.
    I'm just kidding. If you believe that then you should also try durian as a magical weight loss fruit. I've been lifting on a calorie deficit for over a year now and it hasn't hurt me any.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Looks like we need a devil's advocate here. You shouldn't lift weights on a calorie deficit. You could DIE! When you lift weights, your body preserves fat, because it's precious and essential for survival. Since you're in a calorie deficit, your body will catabolize muscle. Eventually you will turn into a fat skeleton with Lou Gehrig's disease. That's what happened to me.
    I'm just kidding. If you believe that then you should also try durian as a magical weight loss fruit. I've been lifting on a calorie deficit for over a year now and it hasn't hurt me any.
    You are not very convincing at advocating for the devil.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

First I was like :indifferent: and then I was like:noway: and then I was like :laugh:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. Lift! (and keep your protein intake up). It's been said that weight loss makes you look good in clothes, but weight loss with strength training makes you look good naked.

In addition to what everybody else said above, here's an actual study which indicated that weight training is more effective than cardio at preserving lean muscle mass while in a caloric deficit (and note that this study was done at an extreme caloric deficit):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I got some solid responses here (hence my pretty extreme title/questions). Don't worry guys--I've been strength training, lifting mid-weights. I'll be lifting heavy ASAP, just need some assurance since I'll come across lots of plans/people who say to do otherwise.

Glad I attracted the other people here to get a more rounded answer.

And I've never been a, "I'm afraid of bulking, scared of lifting" type girl--I just never had to worry about losing weight AND muscle loss/retention until now.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is what people do when they suck at running.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

True. And now that I lift, I'm a much better runner. I didn't win any medals until I started lifting! :happy:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and lift often.
    Ditch the little weights, get pissed and lift heavy!!!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

True. And now that I lift, I'm a much better runner. I didn't win any medals until I started lifting! :happy:

Just imagine how many medals you'd have won if you kept running instead of lifting. Billions.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options

Nah, not true. I don't suck at running and I lift heavy, heavy stuff!

Love them both...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Who runs?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    strength training and cardio are good to do together always, heavy lifting I don't know, but some lifting is good.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the above.
    You should have started lifting the day before yesterday... leaving yesterday as a rest day.. so you can lift again today.

Hahaha! Love this.

YEP!! Start NOW NOW NOW!! 100% Guaranteed you will NOT regret it! :smokin: