COOKING SQUASH AS NOODLE SUBSTITUTE

Options
misspiggy408
misspiggy408 Posts: 9 Member
I know I have seen it before somewhere, but can't you cook speghetti squash and use it like a noodle substitution? I remember seeing on TV long time ago them using the speghetti squash as the noodles, and made a marinara sauce for it. How do you cook the speghetti squash, do you bake it?

Has anyone tried this before because i want to try it, instead of carb filled speghetti noodles.

Thanks =)

Emmy

Replies

• Aryerse123
    Aryerse123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I discovered this a few years ago and now don't know how I lived without it! I bake the squash. There are usually directions on the squash (a sticker) but I cut it in half, scrap out the seeds and place the two halfs inside down on a baking sheet. I think I bake it for about 45 minutes at 350. I don't remember exactly but basically it just needs to get soft. Then you scrap the flesh out with a fork - it comes out noodley looking. I usually just mix a little olive oil with fresh garlic and whatever other seasonings I'm in the mood for. Also delicious to mix in a little blue cheese or feta (although I'm trying to avoid cheese now...). Good luck!
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The flesh is kind of stringy when it's cooked, so you scrape it out of the shell like Aryerse123 said. You could also try replacing spaghetti with courgette - just peel it into strips and boil it really lightly. It doesn't taste the same, and the texture is different, but it's filling and pretty good.
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I want to try this. :-)
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    I posted a step-by-step recipe on my MFP blog of how to make zucchini into ribbons to use as a pasta substitute. I usually make a Primavera sauce with tons of vegetables to put over. It is filling, delicious and makes great leftovers. If you would like to see the recipe with pictures and details, the blog address is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

Here is a pic of the zucchini ribbons:

Enjoy:flowerforyou:

zrmfp1.JPG
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I really like spaghetti squash. I have even done it in the microwave - cut in half, remove seeds then place cut side down on a plate. I sometimes add a tiny bowl with a bit of water under the cut side then cook until you can push a fork through the skin easily. Usually about 5 to 8 minutes in my 1200w microwave. The size of squash will depend on the time it takes to cook. When its done, just use a fork like someone else said and remove the flesh. It will come out in strings very similar to spaghetti. I use it just like any other spaghetti either with marinara sauce, pesto or just olive oil and seasonings. Hope you try it and like it as much as I do!
  • jmoney34
    jmoney34 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I made it once and covered it with marinara. It wasn't too bad but I found that it was VERY watery. I'm not sure how to combat that.