PCOS and low carb

Options
2»

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Eating bread on its own is the bigger problem as it causes the blood sugar problems...at least that's what I gather from reading?
    Yes, buttering it or dipping it in olive oil reduces the blood sugar impact of the bread as the mixture has a lower GI than the bread (and the other things are carb free).

And certain breads like sourdough and pumpernickel are lower GI. If I have a sandwich in a restaurant, it tends to be either of those and at home, I use Ezekiel. I don't eat bread very often though.
  • jpruder
    jpruder Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have, like some other people, done better with eating clean rather than true low carb. I find that by eating clean I just naturally eat lower levels or carbohydrates. Basically I eat only "clean" carbs... so fruit, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potato, occasionally granola.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stillme4you
    Options
    Go to www.netrition.com and check out their low carb link. There are literally hundreds of low carb items to replace every day items that you use that are high in carbs, and also a ton of snack bars and stuff like that. If you are wary of sugar substitutes or sugar alcohols, this won't help much though.
  • I have, like some other people, done better with eating clean rather than true low carb. I find that by eating clean I just naturally eat lower levels or carbohydrates. Basically I eat only "clean" carbs... so fruit, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potato, occasionally granola.

I have better luck with eating cleaner, and non-refined carbs. I don't have PCOS, but am insulin resistant. If I eat on the high range of carbs, even healthy ones, I don't feel satiated and want to eat again right away. It's a constant battle and struggle...
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT insulin resistant! WOHOO