I feel like I'm eating too much!

Options
emtjmac
emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
I am carefully counting my calories and today is the closest I've come to my goal leaving only 38 calories to spare. I ate a salad for lunch and some baguette bread and I'm so full. I feel like if I eat more than 1200 calories a day then I'm not going to lose weight. I'm 6' and 300 pounds so I know I need more than 1200; I guess I just have to learn to trust MFP calculations and be patient. Anyone else had similar thoughts?

Replies

• weemawhit
    weemawhit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, once I switched over to a healther diet, I was shocked at how little I could eat and feel full. This is a good thing, but there are days where I'm making myself eat a banana or apple just to meet my calorie goals. For the first couple of weeks, I didn't meet my goal (stopped when I felt full for the day), but workouts were a little more miserable. Now that I am usually coming within 100 calories of the daily goal, I feel better and I'm still losing weight. I might be losing a little bit more, even.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Ok, that's good to hear, thanks weema.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for a 6', 300 lb. 37-year old male is way too little - you'll definitely lose weight, but you're going to drop a lot of lean body mass (muscle!) too by eating that way. Go to this thread and read Helloitsdan's first post to get yourself on track with your calories and macronutrients - you'll still drop the pounds quickly, but in a much healthier way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for a 6', 300 lb. 37-year old male is way too little - you'll definitely lose weight, but you're going to drop a lot of lean body mass (muscle!) too by eating that way. Go to this thread and read Helloitsdan's first post to get yourself on track with your calories and macronutrients - you'll still drop the pounds quickly, but in a much healthier way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

this!
    whoo!
  • LANIECE1
    LANIECE1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i THINK YOUR CALORIES ARE TOO LOW, I HAVE FRIENDS SMALLER THAN YOU AND THEY EAT ABOUT 1500 TO 1800 CALORIES!! ESPECIALLY FOR A MALE
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As a man the minimum you should get is 1500 Net (1500 plus eating back what you burn from exercise) So if you cannot eat that much don't eat more, change what you currently eat. focus on calorie dense foods such as:
    Nuts, seeds, nut butters
    dehydrated and other fruit
    drink more calories
    avoid diet and lite foods (eat the full fat versions)
    eat fattier meat such as salmon and steak (instead of tuna and chicken)
    add olive oil to soups, sauces and salads
    add avocado to salads and, sandwiches
    Eat/drink higher MF% milk products
    etc.

You don't have to eat more food to ingest more calories, just make different food choices.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

this!
    whoo!

And I'm going to third this one! And I'm going to add::

If it fits into your macros, eat it!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I so agree, you need to up your calories! Sounds crazy but it works and you definately don't wanna lose muscle!!
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Im 6'1 and weigh 211 right now and it calculates me to have 1790 per day... 1200 just doesn't seem like enough for a man.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know right? I just found out this week that I was not eating enough. I read Helloitsdan's advices (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) and I discovered that my TDEE is about 2470. I was eating 1200 calories! Now, my aim is 2000 calories, or 1700 if I'm working out.
    The trick is to eat stuff that is dense in calories, but is still healthy. I'm talking about peanut butter, multigrains bread, avocados, fruits, protein shakes and even a treat there and there.

I recommend recipes from www.skinnytaste.com. They're really good, healthy and give good ideas.

Good luck with that! Keep on trucking.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Bookmarked! Thanks, great info in that post!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Bump to put on my map.
    =D
  • charver35
    charver35 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Female - 300+ lbs ....working out 3-4x per week w/ trainer - my calulations come out between 1700 and 1900 cals per day - So you are definately too low

Good Luck