thanksgiving is coming!

Options
swtally80
swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
Anyone care to share how they are making their favorites healthier this year!?

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Crustless pumpkin pie is a great way to have the good stuff without the fat and calories from the crust.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    In stead of using butter in the dressing I will be using organic free range chicken broth. Also, will use it in my mashed potatoes and will make the gravy using the broth. You won't notice the difference, but your body will. Needless to say, low fat/no fat dairy in any thing you use dairy in.
  • nicholedunn
    Options
    I found a lot of recipes online that are healthier because they are omitting butter and using olive oil and using reduced sodium chicken broth.
    Hope this helps! :smile:
  • a00link
    Options
    I never have a problem with Thanksgiving because for some reason I tend to eat less than normal on this holiday. It's weird but I've noticed it. This year though I'll be simply watching my portions better than I might have in the past. I rarely go for seconds or anything but sometimes I don't realize just how much mashed potatoes there are.

I plan on using only a little gravy with my turkey and going light on the taters. I'm gonna focus on the vegetables this time around. But the main thing I'll be doing is getting a good workout in Thursday morning to allow for myself to have a little wiggle room if needed.
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love making mash potatoes using cauliflower instead. It's so good. I put in a little garlic powder and it's like garlic potatoes.

I also learned that if you take fresh cranberries and put them in some water and boil, presto! you got sauce. Then I at my sweetner.

I gonna take my ricotta cheese and blend it in the cuisinart and add sweetner and cocoa powder and chill. It's like my own cheesecake.

The rest is gonna be taken care of by my 'special spoon.'
    I am going to pray over my tablespoon before I go to my sisinlaw's. i gonna use it for every single thing I plan to eat. And I am not going to eat anything that isn't going on a plate first. I want to enjoy what i am going to eat and not eat mindlessly. Well, that' s my plan. kc
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You guys are great keep the recipes coming! I'm maing plain green beans roasted yams turey of course mashed potatoes gravy corn muffins stuffing and imnot sure if I should make anything else
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

And I am not going to eat anything that isn't going on a plate first. I want to enjoy what i am going to eat and not eat mindlessly. Well, that' s my plan. kc

That is probably the best advice for me. I am going to do that. Even shrimp cocktail, pinwheels, taco dip... must be on a plate.

I keep telling myself I will do 45 minutes on the elliptical before we head to the in-laws...
  • kmarsala99
    Options
    I got this from another thread. I made it tonight! I used surgar free angel food cake and surgar free jello and lite cool whip. I hope it is yummy. It looks yummy! And it was so easy!!! (I heard from the other thread that lemon jello was really good)

Jello angel Food cake

1 angel food cake (let sit out over night to harded up alittle0
    2 Small boxs jello raspberry or strawberry
    Dissolve Jello in 1 Cup hot water
    Add 2 1/2 Cups cold water
    chill intil it just starts to set
    Then whip till light pink in colorand very airy (about 10 to 15 minutes)
    Cut cake in chuncks (small)
    Add to jello and mix
    pour in an angel food cake pan and chill overnight (you can also put in a 9x13 pan for faster setting)
    frost with the cool whip.
    This is so good and light and airy and only has about 85 cals per serving (and thats if you make the cake 12 servings which is a big peice of cake.

302477.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter