Spin Class?

Options
First thread I've posted. :blushing:
But I'm debating on going to spin class 1-3 times a week at night.
Wondering any reviews/ warnings/advice.
As well I'm looking to thin out my legs/hips has anyone had great success with this from spin class.
Thank You :happy:

Replies

• leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Fantastic idea. I was doing spin class for 3 days a week for months. I took a few months off and started running, but I plan on doing at least 1 class a week. They are great for the legs
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    This would be the first time I have done it.
    Are the classes you went to easily adjustable for beginners?
    I just have this picture in my head of dying on a bike.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I did it 3 days in a row when I injured my foot and learned in the beginning you can not do it 3 days in a row, your butt will hurt and you won't be able to sit down! lol
  • Nessiechickie
    Options
    lol I think i might jsut do one class for the first week then make more
  • PizD
    PizD Posts: 1
    Options
    Spin classes are great! Yes, you can adjust for being a beginner. You are in control of the resistance setting on the bike. Also, the trainers I've had before we're all great with working with beginners and helping to push me along.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spin! It's such an awesome workout! Go for it!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Start off slow. Take one class a week for a few weeks, then add more in. Your butt and lady parts will be sore after the first class (the worst of it comes about 2 days after class). Make sure to stretch and take a walk the next day!
  • bellaboo07
    bellaboo07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I somehow ended up in my first spinning class after filling up my water bottle was really worried, but absolutely loved it! Yes was hard work but felt brilliant afterwards!
  • training4fitness
    Options
    Spin shorts will help your "parts" not hurt, as it provides extra padding.

Spin is definitely a calorie burner and most instructors will tell you certain things to do and not do if you are a beginner.

Have fun!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Spin class is my favorite form of cardio. I go to 2 30-minute classes a week and usually burn around 400 calories. It's an excellent work-out!

With that said...the very first week I started working out, I tried an hour long class. It. Was. Miserable. I couldn't even stand up on the bike for longer than 2 seconds, and sitting on the itty bitty seat was so painful on my [uh hem] bottom area. I wanted to cry. :sad: I was literally bruised on my...you know:blushing: So I honestly took a few months off and decided to give it another try after losing about 15lbs and buildling up some endurance. I was more comfortable sitting this time, but I still wasn't able to complete the entire class without taking a rest before the instructor said to. After about 3 classes, I was good to go! No more pain and able to 100% complete the class without any breaks.

I don't know your fitness level, but just expect it to be uncomfortable on your bottom the first few times (although, they do make padded bike shorts and padded seat covers), and don't expect to be able to do every move (sprints, jumps, holds, etc.) the full time the instructor is calling for it. If you stick with it, though, I think you will LOVE it!
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do it. You'll love it. Just give your butt time to adjust to the seat. (i.e. don't quit after the first class).
  • Nessiechickie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses.
    :)
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    It's entirely up to what kind of instructor you have. The classes I go to have you doing exercises and positions on the bike to work the lower body, upper body, and a bit of the core. I hate when I have to go to a different scheduled class if I miss one, and the instructor just has you do nothing but sit or stand and pedal for an hour. B-O-R-I-N-G!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Try to get there a little early and let the instructor know it's your first class. He or she will help you with the bike set up, which will make the ride more comfortable for you. Be sure to bring a water bottle and a towel too. And whatever you do, please don't skip the cool down and stretches at the end of class. It will help you recover and keep your muscles from getting too tight and sore afterward.
    Have fun with it-no one knows if you have all the tension on or not. It's your class so go at your own pace. It's a great workout and loads of fun-really!!:flowerforyou:
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my favorite cardio! Just let the instructor know you are new. He/she should help with bike setup. Have fun and adjust the bike to your level as you go. Spinning is not a competition. Honestly, it took a few classes before I really enjoyed myself, but now it is my first choice.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you start out the class with a full water bottle, because you will want it. You will love spin class, it is a fun activity, a great workout, and i highly recommend it!