Blast from the past! Remember when..

Options

Replies

• sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I remeber when a kid could buy cigarettes and beer from a grocery store or liquor store with a note from a parent.

I remeber my step sisters just having to have jordache jeans nothing else would do.

haha this, i used to have to go to the store and buy a fifth of bacardi white rum and a 16 oz. Coca Cola and a pack of Kool cigarettes every friday for my mom. i was probably about 9 or 10.

also remember summer days in NYC....leaving the house in the morning and not coming back until 8 or 9 at night (or whenever it was time to come in)....and when we would have those brownouts/blackouts in the 70's in the city. the parents would sit outside up and down the block, playing music from battery-powered transistors, smoking and having a drink or 2. they would let us all play out on the block and it would be past 10 or 11pm.....what fun :laugh:
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I remember when kids could go outside after breakfast and no one would see them until dinner time.. and NO ONE worried about their safety!!! also, never needed a watch.. when the street lights came on, it was time to go home
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'll bet my Pog collection would put yours to shame. Also you know what I remember, My super effective method of getting my nintendo cartridges to work. blow into the cartridge using your shirt as a filter and smack your knee with it 3 times.

I did that too.. well, without smacking my knee! The question is, why would you do it three times? :laugh:
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    hmmm, i remember when i wanted lyrics to a song i wud use the cassette tape and rewind the song over and over to hear the words.
    I remember the tape in cassettes coming undone
    i remember gel pens
    i remember when beepers were around..

AND I REMEMBER WHEN GAS WAS UNDER A DOLLAR =(
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I can remember sitting in grade 9 computer class and trying so hard to figure out this whole "internet" thing… "what? I'm supposed to type some weird letters into that white bar up there… no… that can't be right…"

oh, oh!!! Ren & Stimpy… yup
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I still have the Garbage Pail Kids cards.....I need to dig them out and show them to my kids. lol
  • BeckyLF05
    BeckyLF05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    hmmm, i remember when i wanted lyrics to a song i wud use the cassette tape and rewind the song over and over to hear the words.
    I remember the tape in cassettes coming undone
    i remember gel pens
    i remember when beepers were around..

AND I REMEMBER WHEN GAS WAS UNDER A DOLLAR =(

Remember using a pencil to wind the cassette tapes back up? :smile:
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I remember when before class would start we would have bible reading, pledge to American flag and then prayer and nobody ever got offended. We need those days back again.
  • Diane_58
    Diane_58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I remember when J.R. was shot!

And Bobby died...

But the next season... he was taking a shower... all a dream!

My mom LOVED Dallas and Knots Landing!

I thought for a second you were talking about Bobby Kennedy!! LOL!! OK, I'm showing my age. I was so busy having babies in the 80s that I wasn't watching when J.R. was shot! Whenever I see Larry Hagman I think of "I Dream of Jeannie", not "Dallas".
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Jem...
    Jem is truly outrageous -
    Truly, truly, truly outrageous -
    Woo ooo Jem...
    Jem -
    the music's contagious (outrageous) -

Jem is my name -
    No one else is the same -
    Jem is my name!!

But we're the misfits...
    Our songs are better!! -
    We are the misfits (the misfits) -
    and we're gunna get her!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I remember playing with POGS
  • IronMan98
    Options
    I remember when TV stations signed off the air for the night.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I remember my mom commenting to the gas station attendant, who was filling our tank and cleaning our windshield, about the price of gas going up to 74 cents a gallon. It was a Gulf Station.
  • Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, American Bandstand and the Midnight Special.

Oh and filling up my car for about $15.00. :sad:
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I remember Lisa Frank trapper keepers.

Seriously this is a thing. I teach middle school, and today one of my 8th graders was talking about how it's a cool thing to buy "vintage" Lisa Frank trapper keepers on eBay. It's like retro cool. You know, those good ol' "retro" 1990's!

I feel old and I'm 27...

*puts dentures in cup*
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I remember when I had to stop and find a payphone if I got lost.

*shudder*

I remember there actually being pay phones on corners. I haven't seen but 3 in the past year at least.

I also remember:
    black & white tv
    understanding "don't turn that dial" before commercials
    the connection between pencils & cassette tapes
    POGS
    original nintendo
    atari
    computers before everything was Windows
    rotary phones
    polaroid camaras (I still have my original one)
    stores readily accepting checks
    gel pens
    pagers
    individual candies were 2 for 5 cents at the video store
    Oh! And actual video rental stores with lots of VHS tapes
    Lastly, I remember being told to play outside and to get off my Nintendo. And my mother actually locking us out of the house, telling us to drink from the house and to come back in, like, 3 hours. Apparently playing outside was a good thing. :-)
  • scorchy808
    Options
    At the office, the fax machine was the size of a coffin and it spit out crappy hard to read faxes from rolls of thermal paper.
    We could smoke at our desks.
    We still had selectrics and could either type with elite or pica sized text.
    Forms were types in quadruplicate.. white, canary yellow, pink, blue, and gold, and we had matching liquid paper for corrections.
    A pack of cigarettes was 50 cents, about the price of a gallon of gas, and with five bucks I could fill up my beetle. Beer was less than two dollars for a six-pack.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Captain Kangaroo.

Romper Room.

Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

Sesame Street. (never went away)

3-2-1 Contact!

OMG! I LOVED 3-2-1 Contact! I used to rush home from the bus stop umteen blocks away just to watch it and Scooby Doo after school. I remember After School Specials. I remember the 20 Minute Workout. I remember watching Romper Room in the morning before school. I remember putting aluminum foil on the TV antenna. I remember when Nike and Reebok tennis shoes first came out.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I remember when as kids we were required to play Oregon Trail in computer lab. Who plays video games as a class? We did. Apparently it was so we'd understand computers. Go figure.

Had to have a Guess watch

Slap Bracelets

Dougie Howser, MD

I need to stop. I keep remembering stuff. lol
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    did anyone ever wear Jelly shoes called Jellies? now they have crocs smh