Calorie Deficit and stagnet weight loss

Options
Ok, so i am having a dillema here. # weeks ago i bought a heart rate monitor calorie tracker. I am 5'6 180 pounds, i strength train 2 times a week for an hour each time, I walk a half hour at a time at a rate of five miles per hour any where from 4-7 times a week and i also use the eliptical 3-5 times a week 30-45 minutes. on an average day my heart rate monitor/ calorie tracker is telling em 3500 calories burned. some days i am at 4400 calories burned if ive done a cardio work out and strength training... i've been eating 1400-1600 calories a day. My weight loss stalled out so i increased my cardio amounts...I'm wondering if i'm just not eating enough to loose weight if ive forced my body into survival mode...thoughts any one??

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your eating sounds like to me... I can't see your diary but if you are eating a lot of carbs.. your exercising is eating is eating that up first and using that as energy over the fat stores in your body.....

Upping your protein and lowering your carbs and fat in take with your exercise regiment will probably start shedding some of that weight you are looking to lose.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So you have a daily deficit of ~2000+ calories? That's way too big. You need to up your calories or back off the cardio- in my opinion probably both is sensible. Get your deficit to 1000 calories or less. You don't have a ton of weight to lose, so 500 cal deficit would probably be better than 1000, but because that would be such a huge change I would suggest going to 1000 cal deficit yesterday.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    So you have a daily deficit of ~2000+ calories? That's way too big. You need to up your calories or back off the cardio- in my opinion probably both is sensible. Get your deficit to 1000 calories or less. You don't have a ton of weight to lose, so 500 cal deficit would probably be better than 1000, but because that would be such a huge change I would suggest going to 1000 cal deficit yesterday.

I agree. You might ease up on the exercise. I also recommend eating half your body weight in protein- but still stay in your calorie goals. Are you imputing all of your exercise calories in? If you track all your exercise, it should adjust your calorie allotment to reflect a deficit of 1000 calories.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the HRM all day?? Those are meant for workouts, not for tracking total daily calories. If you want to do that, get a body bugg or something like it. Also, sounds like you don't eat enough calories.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You need to greatly curtail cardio with such a big deficit from food already.
  • Marwin03
    Marwin03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your eating sounds like to me... I can't see your diary but if you are eating a lot of carbs.. your exercising is eating is eating that up first and using that as energy over the fat stores in your body.....

Upping your protein and lowering your carbs and fat in take with your exercise regiment will probably start shedding some of that weight you are looking to lose.

I have already done thati'm at roughly 40% carbs (mainly from fruits and veggie, 35 % protien, and 25 % fat.
  • Marwin03
    Marwin03 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the HRM all day?? Those are meant for workouts, not for tracking total daily calories. If you want to do that, get a body bugg or something like it. Also, sounds like you don't eat enough calories.

I talked to my Dr and nutritionist as well as my trainer, they all said the same thing, that i could use the HRM but to understand that it could be off with an overage of 20%, i've already taken that into consideration and deducted that 20%
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i am having a dillema here. # weeks ago i bought a heart rate monitor calorie tracker. I am 5'6 180 pounds, i strength train 2 times a week for an hour each time, I walk a half hour at a time at a rate of five miles per hour any where from 4-7 times a week and i also use the eliptical 3-5 times a week 30-45 minutes. on an average day my heart rate monitor/ calorie tracker is telling em 3500 calories burned. some days i am at 4400 calories burned if ive done a cardio work out and strength training... i've been eating 1400-1600 calories a day. My weight loss stalled out so i increased my cardio amounts...I'm wondering if i'm just not eating enough to loose weight if ive forced my body into survival mode...thoughts any one??

I'm curious what you're using for calorie tracking. If it's an HRM, as someone said, you may be getting very wrong readings from trying to just wear it all day. You're just an inch taller than me and only about 20 pounds heavier than I am.

I've been wearing a BodyMedia Fit for a year and a half now and on my long run days I'm usually around 3000-3500 calories burned per day most of the time. The high end of that is looking at 14 miles, plus going out with the hubby, playing some pool, walking around our favorite down town area, etc. Not like I just run then sit down all day. My largest burn day ever didn't even reach 4000 and that was walking almost 18 miles over the course of a day that I was awake and moving for about 17 hours. I think I sat maybe twice that entire day.

So I very highly doubt that walking for a half an hour a day or using an elliptical for 30-45 minutes a day is giving you 4000+ calorie burns for the day. Unless you have some super crazy high metabolism.

To give perspective, on days that I have an average day of walking around at work (where I also have a standing desk), do an hour of full upper and lower body heavy lifting strength training (about an hours worth of strength), and end with a three mile run at a 6mph hour steady pace (30 minutes of running with a five minute, 4mph/1.5% incline warm up and 5 minute 3.5mph/3.5% incline cool down), with cooking dinner and spending an hour in the kitchen prepping food for my husband and I to take to work the next day, I burn around 2400-2500 calories.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    check out the eat more to weigh less threads.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Just my $0.02.

From sources I have read, the most toxic diet ine can do is high protein low fat and low carb.
    I am among that part of the population for whom carbs turn to fat, not energy. I try to target 60% fat calories, <15%g or carbs (no grains, processed carbs or white starchy vegetables, and 25% or so from protein. I know when my protein i too high because I get *kitten* breath and my wife tells me.
    After 8 months of following this without tracking calories, my cholesterol dropped 30% and I am no longer pre-dibetic. My doctor thinks it was the fish oil. :)
    I hit a plataue at 30# for a few months and that was when I found MFP. Already down another 12.
    I don't eat the "extra" calories that logging exercise adds.
    I am rarely hungry.
    I don't miss bread at all. But I am not so ridged that I go hungry if the available choices are limited.
    BTW, low carb high fat is what endocrinologist prescribe for many diabetes patients. By following it, my niece, who developped genstational diabetes, is no longer clinically dibetic.

Others have suggested cuting carbs too. But cutting fats is not good. Besides, full fat blue cheese dressing is awesome. :)

(I only tracking time and distance for exercise and use calculaters after the fact)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you HRM is correct. I am likely heavier then you are and 40 minutes on an elliptical at the highest resistance possible only burns 500-600 for me depending on how much effort I put into it. I do stay in fat burn mode and not fitness mode but even with walking on every day I wonder if your burn calculations are correct.

Just my opinion, or course...
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Way too much of a deficit. On weeks I am working out more, I need to eat more, otherwise I plateau. At first I didn't want to believe my trainer when he said I wasn't eating enough despite how healthy I was eating. Once I started to eat more, the weight started to come off again. I also had to ease up on my work outs as well because again I was plateauing. My trainer also changes up my work outs every 3-4 weeks.