To rest or to keep pushing?

Options
So I attend West Virginia University and we aren't the Mountain State for nothing. I just moved back to Morgantown and if you aren't familiar with the it, everything in this town is either up on a hill or you have to go up three flights of steps to get to it. This is great and really helps me with endurance,however, I guess my body is readjusting and my right calf is so sore. It hurts to just touch it.

So here is my real question. I was working out on the elliptical and my calf was in so much pain. It was awful.I pushed through but it truly was excruciating.So do I rest it and lay off the cardio until it feels better or do I keep pushing? I've heard if you keep pushing it helps strengthen your muscles but I don't want to hurt it further. I'm just really torn.

Any advice?

Replies

• sassybellex
    Options
    if it hurt that much i would try to rest until the pain goes away and just settle with the walking for a while. if u still want to workout you can focus on upper body and lift some weights in the gym or maybe go for a swim...thats what i would do
    hope you feel better soon xx
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    So here is my real question. I was working out on the elliptical and my calf was in so much pain. It was awful.I pushed through but it truly was excruciating.So do I rest it and lay off the cardio until it feels better or do I keep pushing?

Sounds like an actual injury and not just soreness. Take a week off and then start back slowly on the exercise every could of days and don't work into actual pain but just push it slowly more and more to test what your pain threshold is. It should start getting better. If it doesn't improve within 2-3 weeks seek some professional help but with a week off and some gradual exercise these things normally work themselves out.

Best of luck.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would take a day or two off and see how it's feeling -- no sense in injuring it further.