University is starting soon and I want to eat healthy

Options
Kagami_Taiga
Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
This summer I've lost 2 stones. Most of the meals I've eaten have been whole foods and prepared at home by myself. When University starts up I won't be able to prepare all my meals when I want. Any suggestions on what to do?

Ideas such as what to make as a lunch to take with me or what I can buy in the shops that are ready prepared and aren't bad for you.

Basically I don't want to eat something that's ridiculously boring like pasta salad every day.

PS I really don't do raw vegetables other than in sandwiches.

Replies

• SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Does your university have options for vegetarians in the dining hall? Often, that is where the healthy options are located. Try the salad bar. I know you said that you don't like raw veggies, but give it a shot!
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    I'm not sure actually. I've not been there yet. Umm I think they would.

I'll see if they do and see what they have on offer.

Eating one vegetarian meal a day shouldn't be that bad.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    apples, oranges, cutie oranges are my favorite, pears
    string cheese
    crackers
    special k cracker chips
    fruit leathers (organic kind)
    yogurt cups
    dry granola (to add to yogurt)
    crystal light
    nutrigrain bars or look up "make your own protein bars" on a google search :]

then, i make pasta at the beginning of the week and put it in little Tupperware containers and then tape the calorie count to the top
    i add things like peas or carrots, chicken, spices, mozzarella cheese, etc.
    everything stays cold for me all day at college and i only use self contained cold or one small ice pack.

also, unless you paid for your meal plan already, i would just NEVER go into the cafeteria. there are far to many opportunities to eat pizza, 10 flavors of ice cream, and other greasy shiz. plus you have to guess on the calories counts and that could be wrong by 200-500 calories easily. and its way to expensive for me, find it much easier just to bring a packed lunch.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    string cheese
    crackers
    special k cracker chips
    yogurt cups
    crystal light

then, i make pasta at the beginning of the week and put it in little Tupperware containers and then tape the calorie count to the top
    everything stays cold for me all day at college and i only use self contained cold or one small ice pack.

also, unless you paid for your meal plan already, i would just NEVER go into the cafeteria. there are far to many opportunities to eat pizza, 10 flavors of ice cream, and other greasy shiz. plus you have to guess on the calories counts and that could be wrong by 200-500 calories easily. and its way to expensive for me, find it much easier just to bring a packed lunch.

I thought I was the only one that used labels on containers of food lol

The cafeteria problem with temptation doesn't really work on me. My house is filled with junk like crisps, sweets and biscuits. My only problem would be KFC, I actually crave those hot wings :'-( but you've got some good suggestions there.

Thanks
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    string cheese
    crackers
    special k cracker chips
    yogurt cups
    crystal light

How come my weight chart thingy doesn't show up? I've checked on privacy in settings. Help?
  • corgihugger
    Options
    I usually bring small snack foods with me like apple slices, celery and peanut butter, cashews, string cheese, jello, trail mix, watermelon balls, and don't forget water! :smile:
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    I usually bring small snack foods with me like apple slices, celery and peanut butter, cashews, string cheese, jello, trail mix, watermelon balls, and don't forget water! :smile:

Can't be forgetting the water bottle now can we?
  • Kelly2188
    Options
    Here are some snacks I usually bring:
    carrots/celery or crackers with hummus
    apple or banana with peanut butter
    vanilla yogurt with berries and mix in a little dry cereal (like all bran flakes)
    almonds
    if you have microwave access, oatmeal
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    string cheese
    crackers
    special k cracker chips
    yogurt cups
    crystal light

The cafeteria problem with temptation doesn't really work on me. My house is filled with junk like crisps, sweets and biscuits. My only problem would be KFC, I actually crave those hot wings :'-( but you've got some good suggestions there.

Thanks

i use the labels so my boyfriend dosnt eat all my healthy food when hes at home :p

as for your weight tracker bar, i can see it just fine. :]
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Options
    string cheese
    crackers
    special k cracker chips
    yogurt cups
    crystal light

Thanks

i use the labels so my boyfriend dosnt eat all my healthy food when hes at home :p

as for your weight tracker bar, i can see it just fine. :]

Yeah, I just found out how earlier
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Prepare and freeze... Every second week or so ill have a massive cooking session, put them into little baggies and freeze. And whenever I do cook I always cook way too much and have 2-3 extra servings saved for lunches later in the month.
    Ham on wholewheat sandwiches fills you up with out too much fat, careful what ham you use