Muffin top

Options

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Exercises won't work, you can't spot reduce. Exercises will strengthen the muscles, but not get rid of the fat covering them. As you lose the bodyfat it will go away, but no exercises will change your genetic pattern for how/where fat comes off.

Here's a study regarding "spot reducing":

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21804427

I saw a post where a person posted before and after photos,
    she weighed 130 in her before picture,
    and was lumpy, flabby, had a flabby round tummy, and said she had back fat rolls, too.

in her after picture,
    she weighed 133, and had a very small waist, and looked quite buff.

she changed shape but not her weight. (yeah, yeah, i get that she must have reduced her body fat % )

One CAN change the shape of a body.
    but, no argument, that weight loss is great way to lose lumpy parts.
    especially excessively large lumpy parts, will require weight loss to reduce, no argument.

but a person can be thin, and still have some lumps, too. Who hasn't seen a normal weight person, or even a thin person
    with lumpy parts? lot of 'em out there. They do not need to lose weight,
    they need exercise.
    Exercise can target specific spots, and tone them up, and reshape those parts.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Hm I thought a muffin top was from women wearing pants that are too tight for them... >.>

Me too. The easiest way to get rid of a muffin top is to buy pants that actually fit rather than pants you have to "suck it in" to get buttoned.

It sorta it from clothing, but with me, when I wear pants tht don't give me muffin top, they're too big & I have to pull thm up constantly. I'm smaller in my pants area thn I am in my torso. So pants tht actually fit right in the legs, band & butt give me muffin top :( can't wait to lose this body fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Hm I thought a muffin top was from women wearing pants that are too tight for them... >.>
    This.

Moderate calorie deficit and patience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Go to Youtube.com and search Tiffanyrotheworkouts.She has a a few shrt excersises for your core that left me sore a couple times plus she has other good workouts for stubborn areas. Good luck
  • Nikilette
    Options
    Honestly, one of the best things you can do for that is to not eat anything with High Fructose corn syrup, dextrose, sucralose and soy in it any more. I stopped with the high fructose corn syrup and i lost the tire around my waist within a month. I was amazed. i wasn't doing any exercises at all. The body holds the fat around the belly there if you eat this stuff. Hopefully this will help you. Best to you and your journey,.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Core! Also, wearing pants that fit loosely in the waist will help the fat not "bunch up" so badly. And stay away from Spanx!!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options

I dont wear my pants tight at all and I have a muffin top. It is getting a bit smaller as I lose weight.
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not true about muffin top - My jeans are so baggy that I need a belt to keep them on. Yet I still have a muffin top. If you gain all of your weight in your belly like I do and have narrow hips, this can happen.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I dont wear my pants tight at all and I have a muffin top. It is getting a bit smaller as I lose weight.
    [/quote

All my pants are loose fitting and I still have a muffin top. :( My pants slide down more than anything.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    and was lumpy, flabby, had a flabby round tummy, and said she had back fat rolls, too.

in her after picture,

I think that's me. :blushing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

The photos were five years apart, but it was the difference between losing weight while eating right and exercising, vs just going very low calorie. Eating low calorie, I lost more muscle than I should have. Eating right and exercising regularly, I kept more muscle and lost more fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

in her after picture,

she changed shape but not her weight. (yeah, yeah, i get that she must have reduced her body fat % )

One CAN change the shape of a body.
    but, no argument, that weight loss is great way to lose lumpy parts.
    especially excessively large lumpy parts, will require weight loss to reduce, no argument.

Exercise can target specific spots, and tone them up, and reshape those parts.
    There's no argument that one CAN change the shape of their body. What you're talking about is called 'body recomposition'. It's an entirely different thing than 'spot reducing'. Body recomposition is altering the ratio of lean tissue to fat tissue.

Of *course* you can target certain muscle groups with weight training...that's the principle of every weight/strength training program ever written, and why we do specific exercises for different body parts. It's also why "curl bros" can get huge, jacked arms and still have chicken legs. Your legs aren't going to grow from doing a million curls in the squat rack. Where "spot reducing" fails is that muscles respond to stimulus, fat doesn't - it's inert, just lying there covering the muscles. You can work your biceps, abs, legs, etc. with as many exercises as you want for as long as you want - the muscles may get larger and stronger, but if you're not doing something to lose the fat (e.g., creating a caloric deficit through diet and/or exercise), the fat isn't going anywhere.

If you'd read the study I linked to (which you obviously didn't), it specifically stated that targeted abdominal exercise did absolutely, positively nothing....*nothing* to eliminate abdominal fat. It did develop endurance strength in the muscles buried beneath the fat, but it did not change the fat composition one iota. Allow me to quote from the study, just so you don't have to click the link and read it for yourself:
    There was no significant effect of abdominal exercises on body weight, body fat percentage, android fat percentage, android fat, abdominal circumference, abdominal skinfold and suprailiac skinfold measurements. The AG performed significantly greater amount of curl-up repetitions (47 ± 13) compared to the CG (32 ± 9) on the posttest. Six weeks of abdominal exercise training alone was not sufficient to reduce abdominal subcutaneous fat and other measures of body composition. Nevertheless, abdominal exercise training significantly improved muscular endurance to a greater extent than the CG.

The whole concept of "spot reducing" is silly and ignorant. It doesn't work. You can work out your muscles, but you can't work out your fat.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    ////"There's no argument that one CAN change the shape of their body"////

YES! I AGREE!!:bigsmile: That is what i said! YAY!!

I think we probably agree that exercise CAN change the shape of a body part, too!! (did not realize there really ARE people who don't "believe" that! wow!):noway:
    but you can call it "re composition" of the area, whatever,
    but, it can change shape from exercise. LIke biceps, can be made larger with exercise. Waists can be made smaller with exercise. Calves can be resculpted somewhat, with exercise. etc
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc

////"The whole concept of "spot reducing" is silly and ignorant. It doesn't work. You can work out your muscles, but you can't work out your fat."////

I don't think i ever used the words "spot reduce" but although i am new here, i have seen that word thrown at anyone who asks about exercises to help various body parts, as if they've done some kind of error to even ask.
    I think that type of reply, can be stifling. Members here have to join specific subgroups, to share exercise ideas without being mocked in the main forum, kinda odd, that.

TO THE OP, DO JOIN A SUBGROUP, to get out of the main forums.:indifferent:
    In subgroups, people DO share exercise ideas.
    :bigsmile: :smile: :bigsmile: :smile: :bigsmile: :smile: :bigsmile: :wink:

so AnvilHead, i am not sure why you are arguing,(?) or why you seem to want to prevent this person from exercising certain parts of her body, i don't get it. Why discourage this? I think it is great for a person to shape themselves as they lose weight. I think probably that does give the best end result, if a person exercises as they go along, instead of wait til all the weight is off.
    and some areas will need extra exercises in some people, to get that area to be the shape the person wants.
    All i said was, one can change the shape of a body, or of a body part.
    and i even said //"worth a try anyway, but stand by for the inevitable attack of the bodybuilders who will tell you that you can not target a specific muscle, nor reshape a specific body part."//:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I am only new, but, i KNEW ppl would attack for wanting to exercise a certain part of their body, i knew it!!:laugh: .

There are normal weight people, (and even thin people) with lumps, and exercising does reshape those areas.
    Those people do not need to lose weight, but exercise. People can look entirely different,
    at exact same weight,
    after exercising,

even if they are only targeting the areas they have lumps and flab on. People can reshape areas, without changing weights.
    People can target just a certain area, to reshape through exercise, without losing weight, if the person is not overweight.
    You seem to suggest that *all* flabby people need to lose weight, which i don't necessarily agree with.

Even body builders, will focus exercising a specific area, just to reshape it. (true, some body builders have other reasons, as well, to target one area for exercises, to bulk it up, to make it stronger, etc. who hasn't heard a body builder talk about whatever area they are working on with exercise to target that area)

but, like i said,
    if the lump IS excessively large,
    or
    IF the person IS generally overweight,
    yes, yes, like i said, weight loss will help the person reach the goal of removing or reducing or reshaping the area that bothers them,
    absolutely!!

but, again,
    even normal weight people
    and even thin people
    can have flabby lumps, poochy tummies, flabby legs, arms with no definition, etc, which can be improved through exercising the area that bothers them.

The op IS losing weight, btw, and although her style of "ticker tape" is hard for me to read well, it appears she has lost almost 30 lbs, and i want to support her urge to exercise. I have no idea why some people here seems to be so hellbent on slapping down the idea of exercising for people who ask about exercises for special areas of their body, as if we can not reshape as we lose weight (IF that particular person is also interested in losing weight).
    odd, how often and how smugly this lil band of "you can't target one area" types always jump in almost every thread like this, as if to prevent others from sharing what helped them reshape that area.

odd. The OP never said she was not continuing her weight loss,
    nor relying solely on exercise, my impression was she IS losing weight, and just wanted ideas on how to exercise some area she wants to work on. TO THE OP, I SAY GO FOR IT HONEY!!!

AnvilHead, i wonder, what you'd recommend,
    if you met a thin or normal weight person,
    with flab, lumps, squashy areas, droopy areas, rounded flabby tummies, whatever, but is not overweight
    (LOTTA those types around...who DOESN'T know someone like that?

weight loss?

AnvilHead,(cute name for you)
    what would you recommend if you met a person,
    at proper weight,
    who wanted to reshape his arms?

weight loss?

Wait, wait, could it be, that the person could exercise could change the shape of just his arm somewhat? ??
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    TO THE OP, DO JOIN A SUBGROUP, to get out of the main forums. :indifferent:
    In subgroups, people DO share exercise ideas.:smile::bigsmile: :wink: :bigsmile: :smile: :bigsmile: :wink:
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of an ugly muffin top going on while I wore most of my pants...since I changed my diet and started cardio/strength exercises...my body reshaped in that area. Everything is starting to look quite well in that area (2 months later). Just work hard, watch your food intake and you shall see some sort of results come along! Just remember everything is a slow process. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    when i eat carbs, it all goes to my belly.
    try and get more protein and vegetables.100 grams of carbs a day might be good to start with.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

i think this person IS right, too,
    if you wear appropriately sized clothing your shape will be less distorted into "extra" curves which are not even there when you are nude.
    thats called a Camel toe

lmao
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am in need of some exercises to lose my muffin top it has to be no weights or machines as I don't have either.

If you have canned goods or containers of laundry detergent then you have weights. That's what I did. If there is a will there is a way you just have to improvise with what you have on hand. Watching what you eat and doing some cardio will help get you there more efficiently.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Oh people. It's not just from wearing improperly fitting clothes. The op probably means while completely naked they still have that horrible little pouchy area in the abdomen. Frustrating area that. As you've read about twenty times by now life sucks and you can't spot reduce BUT I would recommend reverse crunches. They certainly can't hurt. And yes planks too. It's crazy how much stronger my core is after I added a few to the mix.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    ////"There's no argument that one CAN change the shape of their body"////

...<headache-inducing rambling snipped>...

Wait, wait, could it be, that the person could exercise could change the shape of just his arm somewhat? ??
    I'm sure you have it all correct. Yes. You're right. If the OP bends over, grabs a barstool and waves her leg around in the air behind her, the muffin top will magically disappear.

Good luck.

why do you mock me?

{edit: why would anyone here feel the need to mock anyone here who IS being sincere and either asking for help, or trying to encourage someone else asking for help? what's the point in that behavior? how is that helping? }

why do you mock my suggestion of an exercise for her to try?

why do you think people shouldn't do exercises as they are losing weight?

(to the OP, if i did give the impression one(1) workout makes muffin tops smooth out, i did not mean to, or, perhaps it is just only "AnvilHead":wink: who does not understand if someone suggests an exercise to try, that no magic is involved, and it is not a one-time thing. BEST OF LUCK, OP, GO FOR IT!!
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Go to Youtube.com and search Tiffanyrotheworkouts.She has a a few shrt excersises for your core that left me sore a couple times plus she has other good workouts for stubborn areas. Good luck

great link,:bigsmile: her lower abd flattening-moves looks great, too!

THIS Tiffany Rothe video, from the link you posted,
    has a move,
    VERY similar to the one i was trying to describe,:bigsmile:
    about bending forward, holding onto something, and moving one's leg up and out, TIL YOU FEEL that spot where your muffin top area IS being pulled, and move your leg riiiiiiiiiiiiight there, back and forth or up and down, moving that very spot.

however, in this clip
    http://youtu.be/0Yn-qdODHlM
    the trainer, Tiffany Rothe is bending forward,
    holding onto an object,
    and moving leg
    out to side, said this move shapes the outer thigh area, if you move leg straight out to side.