ADVICE: Should I eat more? o "break days" speed metabolism?

Options
I've stuck very strictly to a 1200 calorie to 1500 calorie plan with strength training for a few months now and have lost 20 pounds and went from a size 10 to a size 6! Whoo! :'D

Since I am pretty close to where I want to be, I've recently upped my calories to 1500 every single day, whereas before, I would usually be at a net of 1200, with occasional 1500 calorie days.

I'm wondering, will upping my calorie intake to 1500 like this make my weight loss too slow, since I'm already at a BMI of 21? (Heavier people lose weight far easier; this last ten will be a lot harder to lose, I am aware! XD)
But I really don't think I can DO 1200 anymore! I just get SO SO SO tired and miserable and weak on that low of an amount; maybe it's because I'm kinda tall? I'm almost 5'9", so I'm guessing my calorie needs are a bit higher than a 5'4" girl's would be~!

ALSO, I have a part to go to tomorrow night and I plan on making it a "break day"; translation: Eat pretty much whatever suits me at the party, nothing crazy, just a bunch more than I'd usually eat while dieting. I am unsure though! Will this deviation from my calorie plan rev up my metabolism, or will my body try and "hold on' to the extra food, since it's had to adapt to lower calories these past few months? I hope I'm making sense and that you guys can offer your two cents! :D

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'm wondering, will upping my calorie intake to 1500 like this make my weight loss too slow

Try it and see.

ALSO, I have a part to go to tomorrow night and I plan on making it a "break day"; translation: Eat pretty much whatever suits me at the party, nothing crazy, just a bunch more than I'd usually eat while dieting. I am unsure though! Will this deviation from my calorie plan rev up my metabolism, or will my body try and "hold on' to the extra food, since it's had to adapt to lower calories these past few months? I hope I'm making sense and that you guys can offer your two cents! :D

One single day of overfeeding will not likely have any lasting or significant impact on your metabolism.

That being said, you should stop worrying about all of this and go to your party and eat and have fun. In the long term this event will make very little difference physiologically. It could make a significant difference emotionally/mentally.

Go enjoy yourself. Get back on the plan tomorrow.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I'm wondering, will upping my calorie intake to 1500 like this make my weight loss too slow

Try it and see.

One single day of overfeeding will not likely have any lasting or significant impact on your metabolism.

That being said, you should stop worrying about all of this and go to your party and eat and have fun. In the long term this event will make very little difference physiologically. It could make a significant difference emotionally/mentally.

Go enjoy yourself. Get back on the plan tomorrow.

Yeah you're right! :D Cookies and chips it is! This'll be a nice treat!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I have a net goal of 1550. I'm still losing consistently at a rate of .5-1 pound per week. I very frequently will go as high as 2500 calories on a weekend.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    But I really don't think I can DO 1200 anymore! I just get SO SO SO tired and miserable and weak on that low of an amount; maybe it's because I'm kinda tall? I'm almost 5'9", so I'm guessing my calorie needs are a bit higher than a 5'4" girl's would be~!

That's great that you list the weight! But this makes me sad...you should never have had to be miserable to lose 20 pounds :( My guess is that upping your calories will ultimately do your body a lot of good.
  • waynekp1981
    Options
    I'm no expert in any aspect of this sort of thing. I often read through the forums to find out what other members think of certain challenges that I may face, and that being said...it seems like whatever problem I've come across, someone has already been there, done that and overcome it.

I started using the calorie tracker in April, and I've had some decent success with it so far, but by the middle of July, I was starting to grow a little tired of dutifully tracking everyting I eat, watching my calories and intake like a hawk...I wasn't ready to throw in the towel, but I was starting to reminisce about the days when I ate what I felt like.

The reason that I've included this background, is that also during July, I went on a camping trip for nearly two weeks. I allowed my calorie intake to increase quite a bit (although I was still usually within a reasonable estimate of the calories I did consume), but I didn't feel like I was beeing so....anal about it. I relaxed a little bit with my intake, enjoyed the foods that I was eating, and got a bunch more exercise than I normally would...walking, swimming, etc.

My weight loss did slow a little bit, but when I returned to civilized life, and to my previous level of effort, I felt rejuvenated. I really do credit that week as being able to help me continue my weight loss journey with the commitment and focus that I need.

I`m not saying that you should pig out everyday, and I`m not saying that you even need to take this strategy, but allowing yourself a day once every week or two, where you do eat a little more, and eat some of the things that you like will help you more in the long run because you won`t feel as though you`re sacrificing so much.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert in any aspect of this sort of thing. I often read through the forums to find out what other members think of certain challenges that I may face, and that being said...it seems like whatever problem I've come across, someone has already been there, done that and overcome it.

I started using the calorie tracker in April, and I've had some decent success with it so far, but by the middle of July, I was starting to grow a little tired of dutifully tracking everyting I eat, watching my calories and intake like a hawk...I wasn't ready to throw in the towel, but I was starting to reminisce about the days when I ate what I felt like.

The reason that I've included this background, is that also during July, I went on a camping trip for nearly two weeks. I allowed my calorie intake to increase quite a bit (although I was still usually within a reasonable estimate of the calories I did consume), but I didn't feel like I was beeing so....anal about it. I relaxed a little bit with my intake, enjoyed the foods that I was eating, and got a bunch more exercise than I normally would...walking, swimming, etc.

My weight loss did slow a little bit, but when I returned to civilized life, and to my previous level of effort, I felt rejuvenated. I really do credit that week as being able to help me continue my weight loss journey with the commitment and focus that I need.

I`m not saying that you should pig out everyday, and I`m not saying that you even need to take this strategy, but allowing yourself a day once every week or two, where you do eat a little more, and eat some of the things that you like will help you more in the long run because you won`t feel as though you`re sacrificing so much.

You know, that makes an awful lot of sense! Depriving myself for so long has got to be part of what makes me so miserable and cranky while dieting; not only am I always hungry, but I must constantly say "No, I can't have pizza with you guys" or "no, I'm not eating any of your chips :C"

I think it WILL be rejuvenating to have a one-day break every now and again!

Thanks for the tips! :D
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem you are facing is you perceive this as "dieting". Diets don't work. People who go on diets have an 83% chance of gaining the weight back within 3 years.

You have to make the mental shift that this is who you are. You eat right and exercise, that's what you do. You don't eat crap food, you are healthy.

Seeing as how this is who you are, do the things that make you happy. If that means you let your hair down sometimes and eat off the regular menu, so be it. You need to be happy amd satisfied with who you are. Just so long as you eat right and exercise most of the time, you'll be just fine.

That way, you won't be "depriving" yourself. You won't be miserable and cranky because your on a "diet".