New to this site

Options
Hi everyone, I just came across this site an am excited I did!!! My name is brandy and I live in Borden Ontario, I have a 10 month old baby and have been wanting to loose weight all my life, but now IT IS TIME. I want to be able to go to the fair with my son and actually get on the rides and not have that voice in the back of my head say am I over the weight restriction. I have started exercising and eating better since the beginning on November and have lost 13 pounds ,My goal is to lose 20 pounds by Christmas and I think I'm doing well so far but I'm worried I wont reach my goal. I gained 60 pounds with my pregnancy but have lost 55 but I still need to lose 90 to be at my goal weight I'm taking it one day at a time, but would like feedback on other peoples weight loos success and struggles . If anyone has any good healthy meal ideas or workout routines that have worked for them I would love to hear about them!

Replies

• mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi Brandy,

I'm glad you are excited to have found this site. You'll just have to look at the post to see which one's are of interest to you. I have found a lot of good recipes here and there is a board for recipes.

My main advice is to start out slowly with the exercise. don't over do it and just plug along and you will eventually get there. I am guessing you are fairly young with just having a baby so believe me it is easier to lose than when you reach my age (50s).

Just think about things and set realistic goals!

Much success to you!

Cindy
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi Brandy,
    Welcome to the site.
    You are pretty close to where I live. I live in Barrie and I have a few friends who work on the base.:flowerforyou:
  • DARTHDOUGY
    DARTHDOUGY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sending good thoughts your way! Keep going!
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    thanks alot guys!! I'm really excited, ive said I was going to do it before but it just feels right this time!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Hi Brandy! Welcome! I joined yesterday and am already obsessed with this place!!!! Everyone is so great, and I LOVE the way MFP is set up. It makes things SO EASY to understand!

You're from Borden? I've been there before! I'm from BC and have only ever been to Ontario once. That was about 13 years ago now, but at the time, my uncle and his family lived at the Borden Air Force Base.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! It's very impressive. I've only lost about 20 pounds in the past year, but I'm determined to stop putting things off until tomorrow and just get my butt in gear. :)
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Hi. I am trying to lose after 3 kids in three consecutive years. I needed to lose weight before that but I gained almost 70 pounds with my first. I have about 130 to lose altogether. Good Luck!
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    MercuryBlue this site is pretty sweet I think its giving me the motivation I need, I agree I always dieted and would say I'm going to start Monday so I could enjoy the weekend but you have to say I'm going to start RIGHT NOW (no more putting it off) If I can do it you can do it!!! Good luck

jessicajoy87 see i was 247 when I got pregnant and went to 302 I'm back to 250 and I want to be around 170 ish. Hopefully I can get the motivation I need on this site!!! I want to have 3 more kids but dont want to keep gaining and not loosing so im trying to get a handle on it now. Good luck too you too!!!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started.:happy: My story is a bit different, because I'm the result of not starting now. I always yo-yo dieted, but didn't really have huge weight problelms until i had my 3 children. Then I threw up my hands and quit dieting. I concentrated on parenting and my weight continued to grow unchecked for years. :frown:

However, this summer the doctor really gave me the push i needed to get real about my health. :noway: I was on the brink of diabetes. Not where i want to be at all. So, in August the youngest daughter went to college and I came home and started dieting.

Right now it is all about me and changing my life. I started dieting August 26. I joined a gym, and two weeks later started water areobics 3 times a weeks. And at the end of September, I got a trainer at the gym to set me up with a strength and weight training program for 3 days a week between my areobics classes. (partly because I've read that strength training will help you gain muscle {and muscle burns more calories than fat, even at rest}, so it is good to balance cardio workouts with weight training.)

i carefully try to weigh on Wednesdays (my start date) and I'm in a challenge now that weighs in on Mondays, but I resist other days since watching the scale go up and down could make me nuts. i measure inches lost on the 26th of each month.

It is taking determination, but I can do it.:wink: It will not be an overnight fix. I spent 20 years getting into this position. But I haven't "cheated" on my diet yet. And i haven't missed a day of exercise.

The result: in 13 weeks I've lost 44 lbs. I started talking with folks on this site in October. This site has helped with good suggestions. People to talk to (even though dieting is now constantly on my mind, I do not want to be the person everyone knows who cannot carry on a normal conversation without discussing food & dieting & exercise). A place to log food and be honest about everything i'm eating. Good recipes. And support.

Wishing you all the best. Me- I'm getting excited, my little girl will be home from college on Dec. 17; I'm sure I'll be down 50 lbs by then and I can't wait to see her reaction.:bigsmile: -katie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started.:happy: My story is a bit different, because I'm the result of not starting now. I always yo-yo dieted, but didn't really have huge weight problelms until i had my 3 children. Then I threw up my hands and quit dieting. I concentrated on parenting and my weight continued to grow unchecked for years. :frown:

However, this summer the doctor really gave me the push i needed to get real about my health. :noway: I was on the brink of diabetes. Not where i want to be at all. So, in August the youngest daughter went to college and I came home and started dieting.

Right now it is all about me and changing my life. I started dieting August 26. I joined a gym, and two weeks later started water areobics 3 times a weeks. And at the end of September, I got a trainer at the gym to set me up with a strength and weight training program for 3 days a week between my areobics classes. (partly because I've read that strength training will help you gain muscle {and muscle burns more calories than fat, even at rest}, so it is good to balance cardio workouts with weight training.)

i carefully try to weigh on Wednesdays (my start date) and I'm in a challenge now that weighs in on Mondays, but I resist other days since watching the scale go up and down could make me nuts. i measure inches lost on the 26th of each month.

It is taking determination, but I can do it.:wink: It will not be an overnight fix. I spent 20 years getting into this position. But I haven't "cheated" on my diet yet. And i haven't missed a day of exercise.

The result: in 13 weeks I've lost 44 lbs. I started talking with folks on this site in October. This site has helped with good suggestions. People to talk to (even though dieting is now constantly on my mind, I do not want to be the person everyone knows who cannot carry on a normal conversation without discussing food & dieting & exercise). A place to log food and be honest about everything i'm eating. Good recipes. And support.

Wishing you all the best. Me- I'm getting excited, my little girl will be home from college on Dec. 17; I'm sure I'll be down 50 lbs by then and I can't wait to see her reaction.:bigsmile: -katie

Wow!! 44 lbs. in 13 weeks is almost 3.5 lbs. per week!!! That is fantastic. Keep up the good work.

MercuryBlue--

I read your profile. Not sure where Armstrong is. Though I have family in in Canada, I don't claim to be a geography expert--mainly familiar with Vancouver Island and the area around Vancouver, BC.

I noticed you had your food diary as searchable in your profile, and when I looked at it for the last two days, I about fell over when I saw the sodium content of your lunch for yesterday and today --1525 mg!!! That is REALLY high for tomato soup, so either you have pulled an entry from the database with an error in it ( I hope) or you may want to consider changing brands of soup!! Your sodium total for today was over 4500 mgs,:noway: which is about double the maximum recommended. This can lead to water retention, and if you have any predisposition toward hypertension, it is BAAAD news!!

I am glad you have joined us. Wishing you every success!!:flowerforyou: