Kale

Options
I've been wanting to try it. Anyone love it?? What about homemade kale chips?? Any good recipes for chips or other ways to eat or prep it?

Replies

• stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've used the cooking method outlined on World's Healthiest Foods website and really enjoyed it. I want to try the chips too, but not until it's cooler weather--too hot to have the oven on!
  • mela216r
    mela216r Posts: 23
    Options
    Love, love, love kale! I usually make it with white (canellini) beans. Use a tiny bit of olive oil and cook 3 or 4 cloves of minced fresh garlic, then toss in the kale (remove fiberous lower stems and tear it coarsely). Stir and cook for about a minute or two to mix it well. Add a can of drained & rinsed cannellini beans, then about 3/4 cup of low sodium chicken broth. Extra-yummy with a sprinkle of grated parmesan. You can eat it as-is or stretch it with a little pasta (but this adds carbs & calories). This is a Portugese dish, good source of fiber, iron & protein.:love:
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've been trying new things and this is my second time using kale in a recipe. Here is what I made tonight.
    Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup
    Recipe adapted from Whole Foods website: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2451

I omitted the olive oil and used cooking spray to saute the onions. I also used no salt added diced tomatoes and frozen carrots. For seasoning I used Italian seasoning and Garlic Herb Mrs. Dash. My adaption came to only 130 cals a serving or 520 cals for the entire batch.

DSCN1054.jpg?t=1345858325
  • determined_01
    Options
    wow those recipes all sound great! thank you so much for posting, I can't wait to get me some kale!!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'll sauté kale in shallots, olive oil and garlic with a splash of vermouth. Salt and pepper is there too, of course. Not long- just until tender. Cook the shallots and garlic first, then add the rest.

I'll also steam some for 2 min in the microwave by putting some in a bowl with a splash of water and covering with plastic. I'll then mix a teaspoon of mayo with fresh ginger and sesame oil and toss with the kale. Really good!
  • zozie73
    zozie73 Posts: 26
    Options
    I love Kale, I have it growing in the garden and their is nothing better than wandering down there picking some and then cooking it to go with dinner. I normally just have it as a veg (steam or bring to the boil and drain), but having seen some of the other things that have been made with it I'm going to try something else next week.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old and I love homemade kale chips.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    A famous Dutch recipe (stamppot) is to chop it, cook/steam it with potatoes, mash it with a bit of butter, milk and a splash of white vinegar and then eat it with some bacon strips mixed through and a spoonful of gravy.

boerenkoolstamppot%2Brecept%2Bunox.jpg

It is also perfect for green smoothies.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    A famous Dutch recipe (stamppot) is to chop it, cook/steam it with potatoes, mash it with a bit of butter, milk and a splash of white vinegar and then eat it with some bacon strips mixed through and a spoonful of gravy.

boerenkoolstamppot%2Brecept%2Bunox.jpg

It is also perfect for green smoothies.

Oh, that reminds me- COLCANNON!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colcannon

Colcannon-with-kale.jpg
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    salad:

rip one bunch of kale into bite size pieces. drizzle with 2 T olive oil and the juice from half a lemon. add about one tsp garlic salt. dice and add one small avocado. mash it all together with your hands til everything is evenly distributed. taste and add more garlic salt or oil or juice if desired.