ketogenic diets

Options
2»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diets aren't much different from other diets. The key is, if you switch, you have to maintain it forever, because the vast majority of initial weight loss is water weight, and if you go back to eating a more balanced diet the water weight will come right back. As far as fat loss, it offers no real advantage, it just seems like it does because dropping 10-12 pounds of water weight tricks most people into thinking they are losing fat, and also, a ketogenic diet has you eating a lot more fat in your diet, leading to a seemingly higher amount of fat being burned, when really, it's just the extra fat you eat.

Now, all that being said, if you want to cut out most carbs, and are comfortable doing that for the rest of your life, go for it. It's 100% personal preference. Just know the initial weight loss is only water weight due to the carb reduction, and if your plan is just to do it to start losing weight, and then switch back, the water weight will go right back on. That's why people who do a low carb diet just looking to drop 5-10 pounds always gain those 5-10 pounds back as soon as they go back to their old habits.

Also, another misconception about keto diets that I want to set straight: Your body does not "switch from burning glucose to burning fat." The human body is burning both glucose and fat at the same time 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you eat low carb, the body uses gluconeogenesis to convert amino acids and fatty acids to glucose, and uses that converted glucose in exactly the same way as if the glucose had come from eating carbs. Gluconeogenesis is the process that leads to elevated ketones (ketosis.)

Also the implications of varying pH levels and possible acidosis.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis

If you arent allergic to carbs then dont avoid them.
    As soon as you introduce them to the system youll gain.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    But isn't ketoacidosis only an issue if you're diabetic and NOT monitoring yourself? It's the first thing people throw out there, but from what I understand it's pretty avoidable. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

I'm not allergic to carbs. I don't have diabetes or insulin resistance of any kind, but my dad has Type II and I was headed down that path as I have inherited his thyroid issues as well. My doc even gave me a blood sugar monitor since I was having dizzy spells. Maybe hypoglycemia? The symptoms stopped once on keto, so we never really figured that one out.

As far as reintroducing them, if you're raising your carb intake for maintenance, you need to do it slowly to get your body used to it. No one in their right mind would think "Cool. Lost the weight. Where's the cake?" and be surprised that they gained the weight back. (once again, as you can see, I'm not at maintenance right now, so feel free to correct me on this as well)

If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, great. I don't care, as long as you're losing weight healthily. It kinda irks me that everyone thinks (not pointing you out, dan, but those I know personally) I'll gain the weight back if I revert to my old habits. DUH! That goes for ANY dietary change, not just keto/paleo/low-carb. It works for counting calories, those shakes, juice fast, cookie diet, Nutrisystem, WW, Jenny Craig (is that even still around?), quitting a weight building regimen, and anything else out there, fad diet or not.

The ONLY way to change who you are is to change (in some form) what you eat, whether it be portion size, food groups, carbs, more fat, less fat, more protein, less protein and KEEPING those changes.
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    But isn't ketoacidosis only an issue if you're diabetic and NOT monitoring yourself? It's the first thing people throw out there, but from what I understand it's pretty avoidable. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

I'm not allergic to carbs. I don't have diabetes or insulin resistance of any kind, but my dad has Type II and I was headed down that path as I have inherited his thyroid issues as well. My doc even gave me a blood sugar monitor since I was having dizzy spells. Maybe hypoglycemia? The symptoms stopped once on keto, so we never really figured that one out.

As far as reintroducing them, if you're raising your carb intake for maintenance, you need to do it slowly to get your body used to it. No one in their right mind would think "Cool. Lost the weight. Where's the cake?" and be surprised that they gained the weight back. (once again, as you can see, I'm not at maintenance right now, so feel free to correct me on this as well)

If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, great. I don't care, as long as you're losing weight healthily. It kinda irks me that everyone thinks (not pointing you out, dan, but those I know personally) I'll gain the weight back if I revert to my old habits. DUH! That goes for ANY dietary change, not just keto/paleo/low-carb. It works for counting calories, those shakes, juice fast, cookie diet, Nutrisystem, WW, Jenny Craig (is that even still around?), quitting a weight building regimen, and anything else out there, fad diet or not.

The ONLY way to change who you are is to change (in some form) what you eat, whether it be portion size, food groups, carbs, more fat, less fat, more protein, less protein and KEEPING those changes.

Well said! Moderation and lifestyle change are keys to keeping the weight off.

Good luck with your goals! :)
  • karennicholsss
    karennicholsss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a longtime low carb person, I follow the classic Atkins Diet, the one from waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 1970's.

10 years ago, I lost 115lbs in one calendar year, I managed to keep all but about 30 of it off, and now I'm back to MFP to take them back off.

I love it,

I eat mostly whatever I want, and being in control feels good. I have more energy, a better attitude, a better feeling all around..

I have tried everything, Weight Watchers, calorie counting, starving, and some not-so-healthy methods,

It's Atkins for me.
  • margiec07
    margiec07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Myself and my husband have been doing low carbs combined with the 5/2 fasting plan and it seems to be working really well...
    We find it easy to keep to, as we have weekends off!!
    So Monday is a fast day, Tues/Wed are normal calories, and Thursday is the 2nd fast day.
    For all of those 4 days we try to stick to about 60/25/15% (Fat/Protein/Carbs) then on the weekend we can have whatever we want. (although we both avoid dairy and gluten at all times)
    We have found that over the weekends our desire to eat carbs has reduced greatly, and we are actually feeling worse after the weekend if we eat too much carb, so that aids the desire to keep them down even at the weekends... although french fries is a bit of an Achilles heel.

The 5/2 diet helped us both lose 30lbs over 12 months or so, then we hit a plateau, we wanted to eat more healthily, so have switched to the low carb/keto diet, looking at eating good fats ( a lot of coconut oil) and ensuring we stick to the clean 15 and eliminate the dirty dozen.

It's been 6 weeks, and we have noticed a significant change, with about 3-5 lbs lost, and we were already at our goal weights... so this is new territory.
    My energy levels have been much more consistent, less feeling like i need an afternoon nap etc.

hope this helps
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been on the keto plan for a little over two months now and it's been great! :) I've lost weight, and it's helped with my acid reflux (no longer taking medicine and I had been taking it daily) and some other stomach issues. Also I feel more energetic now, and I've noticed I sleep better as well. So those have been a few benefits. Also I didn't experience the "keto flu" everyone talks about. I just jumped right in and I was fine, but everyone is different I'll guess.

If I had to list a few honest drawbacks, they'd be:

1. Price. Carbs are cheap (Rice, pasta, bread, etc) Keto-friendly foods (meat, eggs, butter, dairy, etc) cost more. But also I eat less now, so it might balance out.

2. Going out to restaurants can be a pain. I do have to spend time looking up nutrition info before I go out so I can make informed choices.

3. You have to be willing to stick to it long term. For me that honestly isn't a problem. I've never cared much for bread anyway, and I feel so great eating this way I plan on sticking with it long term. But my husband tried it with me and he just can't do it. He loves his pizza, burgers, subs, etc too much to give up carbs like that, and he just feels miserable if he tries to only eat what I eat.

Personally I love this way of eating, and I'd recommend people to try it. There's nothing wrong in trying for a set time, and then reevaluate and be honest with yourself. The only way any diet/way of eating is gonna work long term is if it works for you personally and you think you can stick with it. I know from experience because I've definitely tried other methods before and they worked in the short term but I just couldn't see myself eating that way forever.

Anyway, hope that wasn't too long and rant-y, but I hope it helped. Good luck! :)