Loss of motivation

Options
I often find it hard to stick to a weight loss plan unless I have a purpose. For example, my recent weight loss of 13 pounds was because I was going on holiday. Now I have returned, although I would like to maintain or even lose a bit more weight I'm finding it hard to stick to a healthy diet.

Any motivation tips?

Replies

• TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Uhm...I struggle with this too.
    Lets see...you could keep going so that you don't have to go on a diet before your next holiday?

Seriously though, reach out to the people on the site, whenever you're feeling like it's not worth it, sit down and go through the success stories on here...That usually helps me :)
  • Creat121
    Options
    Public commitment - for me that helps. Letting your friends and family members know really helps because you dont want to be in shame when you dont stick to your plan. It doesn't help for everybody, but for some people this can make all the difference.
    Dont want to spam, but maybe you will find help here http://motivateandsucceed.blogspot.com/2012/08/getting-motivation-to-workout.html
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    maybe buy an article of clothing that you absolutely adore!...but one size too small :happy:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I often find it hard to stick to a weight loss plan unless I have a purpose. For example, my recent weight loss of 13 pounds was because I was going on holiday. Now I have returned, although I would like to maintain or even lose a bit more weight I'm finding it hard to stick to a healthy diet.

Any motivation tips?

Avoiding diabetes? Being healthy longer? Not having to lose a lot of weight later?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i go though this too at times. for me right now it's our new years trip that my goal is for... after that, i will have to figure out a different goal to keep working towards or maintaining for... i too find if i don't have that goal in place i slack a bit and lose track of why i was doing this in the 1st place.... for my health...i just tend to forget to think of it as a health thing..
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I must be horribly shallow, but I think the slightly too small article of clothing works well! :wink:
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Well you might not be motivated, but just remember if it were easy everyone would be doing it.
    I find myself hardly motivated to get outta bed sometimes.
    Sometimes you don't have motivation and just gotta DO IT!
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My roommate is holding onto a bikini that I don't get to wear until I lose the weight. It's actually a great motivator. Shallow? Yes. Working? Absolutely.
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Any motivation tips?
    Yes do the best you can and find friends that get your Butt moving again..:heart: Sticking to "Diets" are hard, but sticking to a Lifestyle plan is easier.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: "Friends that say get off your duff and move.".
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well you might not be motivated, but just remember if it were easy everyone would be doing it.
    I find myself hardly motivated to get outta bed sometimes.
    Sometimes you don't have motivation and just gotta DO IT!
    "Like" Bud:heart:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods you enjoy. Do exercise you enjoy.

It is hard to stay motivated to do something you find boring or unpleasant, so keeping your meal choices fun and your exercise fun it is much easier to maintain your program over the long term.

I love riding my bike, and look forward to my daily rides. I hate working out on cardio equipment at the gym, I find it dreadfully boring, so I won't use the machines. But riding outdoors on my bike? Heck yeah! Even in a thunderstorm I enjoy the rides.

I apply the same principle to my meals. Of course I have to limit the amount of junk and processed foods, but I sure the heck am not going to force myself to eat something I find unpleasant. I threw away a $30 tub of protein powder because that stuff was nasty. Ditto with coconut water, blech! I plan my meals to fit in with my program and with foods I enjoy. This sure makes it easier to stay with the program for life, versus suffering though for the sake of temporary weight loss.