Whaaattttt???

Options
My current BMI is 37.4, I have to get to 30.0 to be 'over' and not 'obeast'.. BUUUTTTTT its saying that my ultimate 'ideal' weight is 114-154 lbs??? YEAH RIGHT!!! When I weighed 180, I was still chunky, but at the same time, very skinny... I'll NEVER weight less than 180, cause i choose not to... But WTF?!? Opinions? Advice?

Replies

• la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?? Don't' worry about the BMI- one day at a time
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    BMI is a very flawed measure becasue it is taking what the "ideal" person at a certain height should weigh. According to BMI, a body builder who has less than 1% body fat would be considered obese just based on their height/weight ratio alone.

It doesn't take into consideration a persons bone structure, muscle mass, water weight, etc. Even after losing almost 50 pounds my BMI still says I am obese. I think I look pretty good at 169 (still have some to go, but much better than I ever thought 169 would look). I don't plan to lose much more than 20 more pounds, so I will never be in the weight range of 114-135 like it says because I think I would look and be sick.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    My trainers says BMIs' ar BS!!! I need to loose 70 lbs to get in a healthy bmi, I weigh 187 right now, if I went down 70lbsI would look sickly, screw it I go by my feel good number!!! And that is a size 8!!!!
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also have an issue with my ideal healthy weight according to BMI. I'm thrown off by my 36DDD boobs I believe actually.

It says my ideal weight is 104-141 pounds if I remember correctly. However, when I was previously 130 pounds people were honestly concerned about my health and approached me about being too thin. At 130 pounds I was a size three.
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    BMI is like any other generalized measurement that is found by plugging numbers (max heart rate, etc.) General. It doesn't take into consideration things like bone density and lean body mass. While for many people it does give a good "idea" of what to shoot for, what's most important is that you go with what feels right to YOUR body. If something feels too high or too low, go with what you feel. I have many friends with a BMI that says they're "obese." But no way....they're very muscular, fit people. Shoot for what feels good for you! Go where you're happy and feel your healthiest!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow Guys, Thank you... I knew that I really wouldn't look right at 157 even... I'm 5'6 ...